GTA 4 Gaming Rig - Help Please

laku234

Disciple
Dear friends

I am setting up a Gaming PC with the following components.

Gigabyte-GA-X58A-UD3R*

i7-950 / 3.06 GHz , 8MB Cache, 4.8 GT's**

6GB DDR 3 -1333* --- Corsair/Kingston

1GB ATI 5870**

Cooler Master HAF X (RC-942-KKN1)

cooler master GX 650W psu

MegaFlow 200 Transparent Silent Fan (R4-SUS-07AC-GP)

40GB SSD* + 500 GB SATA HDD [Raid 0 config]

Samsung 22" Tft Monitor

DVD writer 16X

Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse

Alternatively

Processor
i7-2600 / 3.4 GHz 8M Cache

motherboard
Intel DH67CL

Will the above specs be enough to run Grand Theft Auto 4(GTA 4) in high settings?

Can you please suggest any alternatives (also reg. the cabinet/power supply etc.). Also if possible can you please suggest good shops in Chennai, Tamilnadu and the approx price to expect for the PC.

My budget is Rs. 80,000

Thanks

Re: GTA 4 Gaming Rig- Help Please

wait as bulldozer and sandy bridge EX r coming near future............

all i have learnt in my last build , is that, WAITING is a GAME , u shouldn't be playing,. as of now, i would frankly say , go for the newer gen of intel processors ,regarding the ur pc being overkil , well yes it is . but does it matter , Uhh i don't know , if you will be playin only gta4 then , wats the use ! if u are going to play , say manny other games like crysis 2 and so on . well get the 68xx or 6950 gfx card , totally worth it , motherboard, NOt intel, but asus with the uefi bios , :p , and please , get a powerful power supply , atleast corsair vx 750 or something in that range, you have good enough budget to do everything with decent components , y choose old products if you would get new at the same price ........ all the best with your build buddy ! :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

and yeah , one more thing, ram modules will be of 4 or 8gb , 1600mhz , nothing less , if you can manage in your budget , go for 640gb veloci raptor from WD for your raid 0 config !

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

oh , and yeah , sorry , i almost forgot , there's a problem with the intel chips (p67), so no using sata ports with 3 gbps , the motherboards will be replaced in next 3 months, so beware !

^

Depends, it was only in the initial batches that an unlock could be achieved in current 1 GB version there is no chance of unlock to HD 6970, better to go for a 1 GB HD 6950 if the OP plans on playing 1920x1080 or below resolutions. Cause it is cheaper consumes lesser power and gives performance shredding the nVidia GTX 560 and nips at the scores nearer to the GTX 570<both are more expensive in INDIA>.

Bench - GPU11 - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Bench - GPU11 - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Hmm.. good rig.

But really, GTA IV isn't worth that much that you make a thread "Need rig for GTA 4" seriously.

There are much more beautiful, deep, engaging, and better coded(optimised) games out there to die for.

Your config is great. Since you're getting the best of everything, I'd suggest get DDR3 1600MHz Ripjaws from GSkill. You can overclock like anything with those sticks. (just in case there is an overclocking competition ;) )

laku234 said:
Dear friends

I am setting up a Gaming PC with the following components.

Gigabyte-GA-X58A-UD3R*

i7-950 / 3.06 GHz , 8MB Cache, 4.8 GT's**

6GB DDR 3 -1333* --- Corsair/Kingston

1GB ATI 5870**

Cooler Master HAF X (RC-942-KKN1)

cooler master GX 650W psu

40GB SSD* + 500 GB SATA HDD [Raid 0 config]

Samsung 22" Tft Monitor

DVD writer 16X

Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse

Alternatively

Processor
i7-2600 / 3.4 GHz 8M Cache

motherboard
Intel DH67CL

Will the above specs be enough to run Grand Theft Auto 4(GTA 4) in high settings?

Can you please suggest any alternatives (also reg. the cabinet/power supply etc.). Also if possible can you please suggest good shops in Chennai, Tamilnadu and the approx price to expect for the PC.

My budget is Rs. 80,000

Thanks
Please avoid the Cooler Master GX series power supply, they are really really bad go for the Cooler Master Silent Pro series or Real Power Pro series <not eXtreme Power> OR go for Seasonic S12D series PSU's. Corsair is also not advisable these days.

Cooler Master GX 750 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets
If you are looking for a mainstream 750 W power supply our recommendation is still Seventeam ST-750P-AF, which is USD 20 cheaper than Cooler Master GX 750 W and provides better performance (namely higher efficiency and lower noise levels). Of course GX 750 W offers as advantages having four power cables for video cards and more SATA power connectors, but it is only safe to run this new Cooler Master unit up to 450 W.

http://www.techenclave.com/pc-peripherals/corsair-secretly-changes-tx-series-181529.html -- Why Corsair is in the dock.

Hope this helps. Potential replacements --

Seasonic S12D 750WS SMPS Intel ATX12V

Silent Pro M700 - Cooler Master

Don't flame me but if you only want to play GTA4 get yourself an Xbox 360/PS3.

As gta 4 is a cpu hungry game so your configuration of core i7 will be perfect for it,but you have got a very good budget so you should wait for sandybridge and bulldozer as gta5 will also be coming out soon,otherwise if you can't wait it is a good configuration and can handle anything

avoid that gx psu...try corsair 650w or a seasonic 620w

ram - corsair /gskill ripjaw 1600mhz DDR3

Thanks a lot guys for the replies

Due to the i7-2600 sandy bridge problems...I am sticking with the i7-950

And other specs I am considering are the

Motherboard- I am also looking at asus sabertooth x58. As The gigabyte X58A is not available.

PSU- Corsair HX750

Cabinet- CM HAF 922 or the NZXT Phantom (Checking on the availability)

CPU Cooler- Megaflow 200 or the Noctua NHU12P SE2 (Checking on Availability)

GPU- HD5870 or the HD6970 1GB

Monitor- Dell U2311H

Ram- looking into 1600mhz DDR3

After I get the quotes will buy the above config by end of the week.

Any last min suggestions thanks.

Hi friends

Thanks for all your advice!

I am going ahead with the following specs

Games gonna play - GTA4, CoD Modern Warfare 2, Far cry 2, MAfia 2, Starcraft 2 etc

Specs

i7-950 / 3.06 GHz , 8MB Cache, 4.8 GT's

6GB DDR 3 -1333

1GB GTX 570

Cooler Master HAF X (RC-932-KKN1) - cabinet

500 GB SATA HDD

LG DVD writer

samsung 22" TFT

Logitech wired keyboard and mouse

ASUS Sabertooth X58

corsair Hx 750

I will be adding a 32GB or 64GB SSD and an altec lansing 2.1 BXR1121 soon. I am going ahead with the 1333 3*2gb ram bcoz the 1666 goes over budget!!!

Thanx

PS. Any other last minute suggestions appreciated....ALso one more thing, I wont be Overclocking...

The sandybridge problems has been solved, I will suggest you to get the i7-2600 instead of i7-950. The revised b3 motherboards has been launched and will be available in this week.

Back