GRRR! bsnl changed their DNS servers

greenhorn

Patron
after two days without net, finally figured out that bsnl hand changed their southern DNS servers to

a headsup to anyone who is using manual config

I have been experiencing the same over the last few days. BSNL has something going on with their servers. I have tried many DNS servers. If we do a nslookup, I get this:

> server 218.248.240.180

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

Default Server: [218.248.240.180]

Address: 218.248.240.180

The same is the case with OpenDNS servers.

Anyone has got any ideas?

if you type a few keywords in the adress bar, in firefox, otherwise it goes to the google I'm feeling lucky page

on openDNS however, you're redirected to an opendns search results page :|

and googling seems slower with opendns, so no go

I dont like open dns, All the safety and stuff enabled by default so that we register an account there..Thanks, but no thanks..I prefer the crappy bsnl dns servers..

i tried using open dns but looks like bsnl does not support it cause browsing becomes painfully slow if i use those dns servers.

SumitB said:
I have been experiencing the same over the last few days. BSNL has something going on with their servers. I have tried many DNS servers. If we do a nslookup, I get this:
> server 218.248.240.180
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.

Default Server: [218.248.240.180]
Address: 218.248.240.180

The same is the case with OpenDNS servers.

Anyone has got any ideas?
Bold marked - it states that nslookup tried Reverse resolution for that it nd the query was times out .

Apex said:
DNS Advantage works better than OpenDNS, for me at least. :p

In any case, both are better than the crappy BSNL servers.

thanks for the suggestion.

have been using opendns for a long period of time, but since last few weeks the experience of google related services has been troublesome lets see how this fares.

@greenhorn: Is your Dataone working fine today? My connection is extremely slow. I am getting pings to google in excess of 1100ms. I have tried all possible BSNL DNS servers and also opendns but in vain. I am clueless as to what these buggers at BSNL are upto!

Back