Graphic Cards GRAPHIX Vs TV TUNER Cardz...?DIFF?

uknowme007

Disciple
Jun 5, 2005
Hey Buddiez.....

Being the rookie in PC field....I was wonderin if U Guyz cud Enlighten me abt :

Wat the hell is the difference bet'n a Graphix card n a TV Tuner Card ?
Wud it be possible for me to play high end games with no onboard graphics but a TV tuner card ?
Or do I need a Graphics card ?

It wud also be gr8 if U guyz cud suggest me a TV tuner card in a 3k range....I want it to be useful to me in watchin Tv stuffs and also recordin it....Like the EPL matches....So if I can get the same quality as on TV tht wud be gr8.....

Tnx in advance guyz...

Take Care..

Aditya

Skilled
Aug 24, 2005
www.erodov.com
A Graphics cards is required in your PC. It renders frames for you to see on your Screen.

A TV Tuner on the other hand, just captures imagers form your local cable, once your attach it.

It does go through you Gfx Card to see it on the screen though :p...

Its not possible for you to play the Latest games with Onboard Gfx's.

Not even with the ATi xpress 200 Chipset. If you wanna play high end games, you have to invest in a mondo gfx card.

uknowme007

Disciple
Jun 5, 2005
goldenfrag said:
Its not possible for you to play the Latest games with Onboard Gfx's.
Not even with the ATi xpress 200 Chipset. If you wanna play high end games, you have to invest in a mondo gfx card.

Wat I meant was wil a Tuner card alone wil do for me to play games on a system without onboard grafix....
But I guess u pretty much answered my doubts.....

Tnx mate...:)

Aditya

Skilled
Aug 24, 2005
www.erodov.com
No No.

TV Tuners only Capture the Video of the cable. The Date is sent through the Gfx Card, and the Gfx Card, renders it for you to see it on the screen.

Anything you see in your Screen is rendered in your Graphics Card. You TV Tuner card, wont help a bit in any game. Not even a bit.

Params7

Skilled
Mar 18, 2005
Does the TV Tuner card go in the same slot as the GFX card? one can have both of them at the same time right?

Kumar

Skilled
Feb 23, 2005
no,TV Tuner goes into the PCI (White) slot and the graphics card goes into the AGP (Brown)/PCI-E slot.

All the things u see on the screen comes from the graphics card (either onboard or add-on card).It converts the digital data of the info to be displayed on the monitor and converts it into the analog signal which the monitor understands (in case of the DVI-interface,its digital-digital conversion).

As for the tv-tuner card,it performs the functions of the internal components of a TV (excluding the display).It takes the signal from the cable/antenna wire and selects the required channel from all channels available and converts it into digital data and hands over the data to the graphics card which combines the data with other data and sends it to the monitor.

As u can see,the graphics card must convert data from digital to analog AND process the data handed to it by the CPU.For this reason,a graphics card needs more bandwidth to transfer all the data bitween the CPU and the RAM located on the card.For this reason the graphics subsystem uses the AGP/PCI-E bus which is way faster than the PCI bus.Traditionally the graphics card was used only to convert the digital data to analog data.But as graphics cards became powerfull and the technology advanced,the processing part of the graphics were transferred from the CPU to the graphics card.

Now the TV Tuner card.
A tv tuner card consists of broadly two parts,a RF tuner and an analog to digital converter.The RF tuner (RF=Radio Frequency) is used to tune into the required frequency.It selects the required channel frequency from all the available frequencies and demodulates it to retrive the analog video signal.In traditional TVs this signal is directly given to the Screen.But a computer is a digital device,the analog signal is converted to a digital one by a device called an ADC(Analog to Digital Converter).This converted digital stream is passed on to the CPU/Graphics card via the PCI bus as there is no need for huge bandwidth for the video stream (relative to the graphics information).

Hope this helps!

Rahul

Skilled
Jun 11, 2005
Chennai
tho there are some TV tuners with graphics chip in built(i had one with 2MB or Vram) ..... and graphics cards also comes with TV tuner inbuilt :D

uknowme007

Disciple
Jun 5, 2005
Wowow.....

Kumar told me more than I even hoped to know....Tnx mate...

N another doubt tht creeped in is : Some GFX cards show TV-out n so...wats the use of TV-out ?

Tnx guyz

Chaos

Skilled
Jan 29, 2005
^^TV out is to display whatever is displayed on the monitor on a tv thats all. A TV can be used as a second monitor as well.