Graphic Cards Graphics Card Suggestion : Around 10k Range for 450 W Power Supply

My XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition Graphics Card blew, probably due to improper earthing.

Sadly which I fixed after the problem.

Symptoms, well "!!!" marks come all over the screen and I am not able to load windows in higher resolution.

Similar problem came around 4 months back and I RMAed the card. Sadly the guarantee period has expired

so I have no other option but to buy a new one.

Anyways, time to upgrade my System

I have Corsair VX 450W power supply.

On which, I will be using Asus P5WDH Deluxe Motherborad, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Corsair XMS2 4 GB 1033MHz(2 x 2 GB), Seagate HDD(1 x 1TB 7200.11 and 1 x 2 TB Barracuda LP), CoolerMaster TX3 CPU Cooling solution, ASUS DVD ROM.

I have ATI RADEON 6870 and 6850 in mind of Sapphire made.

The one thing that I am unsure of is whether the current power supply will be enough for the new graphics card I am planning to buy and whether it will be compatible with my current motherboard though P5W DH Deluxe

This board sports Intel's flagship Crossfire-enabled 975X chipset and the tried and tested ICH7 southbridge.

Some of board`s Tech Specs:-

- Intel® Quad-core CPU Ready

- LGA775 socket for Intel Core2 Duo, Core2 Extreme

- Intel 975X +Intel ICH7R 1066/800MHz

- Dual-channel DDR2 800/667/ 533 max 8GB

- 2 x PCI-E x 16 / 2 x PCI-E x 1/ 3 x PCI

- Support ATI CrossFire graphics cards

Please guide me.

Also, I will be buying it from Nehru Place, Delhi. So please suggest me good shop.

Also whether shops are open on sunday from where I can buy PC Core components.

Also if possible guide me about the rate of the card.

Regards.

Is your Q6600 overclocked?
Although it should just be able to manage a 6850/6870, I would suggest you to upgrade your PSU. Get a Seasonic S12II 520w or Corsair VX550.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

IMO you should go for a 6950 and a Seasonic S12II 520w. :D

+ 1 with viral in terms of gfx suggestion and I personally think it can handle a 6850 upgrade.

As for shops in Delhi you can Check with smc international .

Well My Q6600 is not overlocked.

The issue started arising when I put in a third 2 TB Seagate LP hard disK, which

probably not directly but added to the GPU burn. And ofc improper neutral in first time

and improper earthing in the second time caused the burn.

I am planning to drop my 500 GB WD hardisk this time anyways 3 TBs is enough for me atm,

and will be buying Sapphire`s HD 6870/6850, probably 6850.

About upgrading PSU, well I did a mistake when I bought the current one last year October, I should have then invested a lil more and bought a VX 550 for being future safe. Anyways whats done is done and I am not in the mood to upgrade PSU atm

and will stay with VX 450 and buy a HD 6850.

Anyways thanks for all your inputs. Please update about the rate of card if possible.

And put in information about good shops in Nehru Place from where I can get good product at appropriate rate.

dude i have the same mobo. it has pcie v 1.0 and not 2.0. crossfire in the board is not exceptional considering the current specs. i tried a 4850 cf and gave up. also man the 6600 is a hot chip. im using a hyper 212 and it still idles at 37.

anything above the 4 series on that board is useless because of decreased bandwidth for the pcie.

Well, I eventually bouth the Sapphire 6870, as no 6850 Sapphire boards were available and I dont trust on MSI,

plus the cost difference wasnt much.

The card is working fine with my current PSU, I removed one of the older 500 GB HDD as mentioned earlier in the post

I have been busy after getting, yet to benchmark... have just installed latest driver and stuff!!

Will turn up with the Cards Pic and some benchmark result soon :D

Back