Graphic Cards Graphic card for an Nvidia nforce Mobo

nj_gamer

Adept
Jul 9, 2006
Hi All,

I have a Nvidia GTS250 card with me right now, and I'm not able to game properly with Deus Ex:HR, As i get a lot of tearing during the cut scenes. So i decided to change my card. My budget is around 6-7K, I'm a casual gamer, as i don't game much these days and I'm looking to play the mentioned game.

I do know we get good ati cards for that range, but I'm concerned it may conflict with my Nvidia chipset, hence I'm forced to look at only Nvidia cards... I don't mind 2nd hand ones either, as i ain't gonna game much.

So any suggestions? My specs are mentioned in my signature.

chiragsthakur

Skilled
Apr 20, 2011
Mumbai
I dont understand why your existing GTS250 cannot run the game properly. It was a serious gaming card when it was released and moreover DeusX is not at all heavy on systems. Have you updated your nvidia drivers for GTS250??

Secondly, there is no problem is running an ATI card on NVIDIA chipset board. You can get a 6770 1gb DDR5 GPU at Rs.6800/- .. This is recommended even if you are lot more than just a casual gamer.

nj_gamer

Adept
Jul 9, 2006
Even i don't get it why the graphics tear, my card heats up a lot... and in deus ex case, it touches ~96 degree Celsius... this happens during the cut scenes... the reason why i'm hesitant in choosing ati, is mainly due to possible driver conflicts... that's what i feel might happen, not sure if it does though... I'd prefer a stable system anytime....

Reason why i'm afraid of the driver conflicts is beacuse i've installed nvidia motherboard drivers, and i'm afraid they may conflict with the ati drivers.

While playing through the game, i get decent fps ~40-50 with the default settings, but the card heats up a lot during the cut scenes, and the game crashes asking me to change the video settings...

Regards,

Nj

chiragsthakur

Skilled
Apr 20, 2011
Mumbai
You can try taking out the heatsink of your card, apply a good thermal paste like Arctic MX2 and reseat the heatsink, before spending 7K for a new card.

There wont be any issues or conflicts while using ATI card on NVIDIA chipset. As far as your choice is concerned, you have only one option in NVIDIA and thats GTX 550 Ti.. You will get it at 8K or below

nj_gamer

Adept
Jul 9, 2006
Thanks man... Was gonna do that, i had changed the paste ~6 months back i guess... will do it again... probably the card needs cleaning too... Also as long as there aren't gonna be any conflicts, i'm fine with it :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Yup, I re-applied the paste, and the card is normal now :D