Graphic Cards Graphic card buying advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't change PSU.Will the 6450 take lesser power?

Will the GPU(5450/6450) will have a bottleneck if I play old games like POP:The two thrones

Your CPU would be a huge bottleneck... Plus even if you had a great CPU like Core i5 750 then you wouldn't be able to play most games using hd5450 as hd5450 is not a very powerful gpu... Hd5450 has the potential to handle hd movies but not most GPU intensive games... pop is a pretty old game too... I am not sure that whether you would be able to run it on your rig using hd5450 but you can try it....

Folks,

I have an AthlonII X3 440/3GHZ Processor with 4GB RAM on a MSI-880GMA-E45 board.

I am not an avid gamer, however I play a few racing sim games and the FIFA series. Which graphic card should I look at? I also need something which makes my HD movie watching experience good!

Arun

anachronox said:
Folks,

I have an AthlonII X3 440/3GHZ Processor with 4GB RAM on a MSI-880GMA-E45 board.

I am not an avid gamer, however I play a few racing sim games and the FIFA series. Which graphic card should I look at? I also need something which makes my HD movie watching experience good!

Arun

All depends on the budget.

And what is your monitor resolution?

ragzdiablo said:
All depends on the budget.
And what is your monitor resolution?

Sorry about the delayed response mate!

The monitor resolution is 1920x1080 :D

I dont want to spend anything over 10K. Lesser the better :ashamed:

neeed a gfx card for my friend.

What is your budget?
10 k
Current rig Specs
CPU
i32100

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2-B3

RAM
g skill ripjaws 4 gig

Monitor
samsung [dont know the model] 22 inch full hd

Which PSU/SMPS will you be using? Rating + Brand
coolermaster 400 watts

Primary use? (Casual gaming, Hardcore gaming, Just for display, Movies/HTPC)
3d movies? my friend plans to upgrade to a 3d tv this year.some light gaming as well

What resolution do you game on?
1920*1080

Interested in Crossfire/SLI?
dont have much idea about this

Open to both Nvidia/ATI?
yes

anachronox said:
Sorry about the delayed response mate!

The monitor resolution is 1920x1080 :D

I dont want to spend anything over 10K. Lesser the better :ashamed:

Which PSU do you have currently?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

vantheman5211 said:
neeed a gfx card for my friend.

What is your budget?

10 k

Current rig Specs
CPU

i32100

Motherboard

Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2-B3

RAM

g skill ripjaws 4 gig

Monitor

samsung [dont know the model] 22 inch full hd

Which PSU/SMPS will you be using? Rating + Brand

coolermaster 400 watts

Primary use? (Casual gaming, Hardcore gaming, Just for display, Movies/HTPC)

3d movies? my friend plans to upgrade to a 3d tv this year.some light gaming as well

What resolution do you game on?

1920*1080

Interested in Crossfire/SLI?

dont have much idea about this

Open to both Nvidia/ATI?

yes

I guess you have the extreme series PSU.

Better not run the card on that. if you want to game on HD..devote the 10k budget to the GPU alone and get a better PSU..the corsair VX450 @ 3.5k atleast.

You can get the HD 6850..its available for around 9k currently.

[quote name='ragzdiablo']Which PSU do you have currently?

I will post my desktop specs in the template :)

1.What is your budget? Mid Entry Level/Mid Level

2.Current rig Specs
CPU - AMD Athlon XIII 440
Motherboard - MSI 880GMA-E45
RAM - Corsair 4GB DDR3
Monitor - 23.5" Samsung (1920x1080)

3.Which PSU/SMPS will you be using? Huntkey-350W (Not sure about the model name)

4.Primary use? Casual gaming/HD Content

5.What resolution do you game on? 1920x1080

6.Interested in Crossfire/SLI? No idea

7.Open to both Nvidia/ATI? Yes

AMD 6850 or 6870. Both would serve your purposes.

You should however change the smps, its not even remotely close to the required wattage and amperage.

my msi gtx 275 twin frozr went for RMA yesterday... (using tagan 1k watt psu, e6600@3.2ghz, 4gb ram)

incase they offer me a replacement from across the new series of Nvidia Graphic cards... which one should i choose?

anachronox said:
[quote name='ragzdiablo']Which PSU do you have currently?

I will post my desktop specs in the template :)

1.What is your budget? Mid Entry Level/Mid Level

2.Current rig Specs

CPU - AMD Athlon XIII 440

Motherboard - MSI 880GMA-E45

RAM - Corsair 4GB DDR3

Monitor - 23.5" Samsung (1920x1080)

3.Which PSU/SMPS will you be using? Huntkey-350W (Not sure about the model name)

4.Primary use? Casual gaming/HD Content

5.What resolution do you game on? 1920x1080

6.Interested in Crossfire/SLI? No idea

7.Open to both Nvidia/ATI? Yes

MSI R6850 PE/OC ~ 9.35k

If you are on a tight budget then, Corsair CX430 V2 ~ 2.2k (TheITWares on TE)

If you can spend a bit more then, Seasonic S12II 430w ~ 3k from ebay after a 10% coupon from tirupati.

MSI R6850 Cyclone 1GD5 Power Edition

http://www.techenclave.com/theitwares/corsair-smps-rams-best-prices-158277.html

SEASONIC 430W POWER SUPPLY 80+ BRONZE (S12II430) | eBay

The HD6850 is considering a min. for fluent HD gaming for the latest games. But if you are on a budget then get the HD6770 ~ 6.5k. But even then upgrade the PSU to the Corsair CX430 V2.

is there anyone who can help me figure out Quadro vs Tesla for CUDA based programming. my aim is to get highest performance possible. budget is not much of an issue

memnom said:
AMD 6850 or 6870. Both would serve your purposes.

You should however change the smps, its not even remotely close to the required wattage and amperage.
DarkAngel;1898104 MSI R6850 PE/OC ~ 9.35k If you are on a tight budget then said:
V2[/B] ~ 2.2k (TheITWares on TE)
If you can spend a bit more then, Seasonic S12II 430w ~ 3k from ebay after a 10% coupon from tirupati.

MSI R6850 Cyclone 1GD5 Power Edition
http://www.techenclave.com/theitwares/corsair-smps-rams-best-prices-158277.html
SEASONIC 430W POWER SUPPLY 80+ BRONZE (S12II430) | eBay

The HD6850 is considering a min. for fluent HD gaming for the latest games. But if you are on a budget then get the HD6770 ~ 6.5k. But even then upgrade the PSU to the Corsair CX430 V2.

Thanks DarkAngel & Memnom!

I checked my SMPS unit and its rated as the Huntkey Greenpower in the link below

HUNTKEY

So its rated for Max power output of 500W!

Is there any more options on the GPU, something that costs between 5-8K :)

Will a i3 2100(already purchased),tx650 and 6950 2gb have any problems?

I have zeroed on 6950 + tx650.but will there be any problems for the 6950 with a i3 2100?

Hi guys, I am looking to upgrade my Graphic card. My main question is whether MSI R6850 Cyclone or the MSI R6950 Twin Frozer III fit in an NZXT Gamma Cabinet? Other question is if my PSU CoolerMaster 550W Extreme power will be able to drive these cards properly? I intend to upgrade my PC once Bulldozer arrives but have to upgrade the GPU now since I will need my current Palit 8400GS for my oldest PC(am converting that one to an HTPC).

One more thing, I have read some discussions here on TE and in other forums on R6850 vs 550Ti and R6950 vs 560Ti; based on these discussions I am thinking of R6850/R6950. But my 8400GS did serve me well for all this time, so would you guys suggest any of the Nvidia cards over these. Tesselation and Physx has to count for something right?

Hey guys, looking for a suggestion for my friend who needs a graphic card to play Deus Ex HR at 1440x900 resolution. Keep in mind, he only has a Generic PSU. I'm hoping something cheap like 6670 or something around the 5K mark should be able to run on his PSU. I dont think I can convince him to buy a new PSU also. Also, he doesnt need to max out the settings or anything like that. Just good enough to get the game running with Medium/low settings.

Rest of the config: CPU: Core 2 Duo 2GHz+, RAM: 4GB DDR2.

At low resolutions its the CPU which matters more. Anyways If its a core 2 duo, then it will be fine. He can opt for either 5670 or 6670.. IMO 6670, the new MSI version at 5.3K is a good deal. May I know the details of his generic PSU?? Amperage rating on +12V rail??

Yes both MSI 6850 cyclone as well as MSI 6950 will fit easily in Gamma. Please tell me your system details. 6850 will easily work with coolermaster extreme power 550 but I wont recommend you to run a 6950 with this PSU. Actually I have heard pretty bad reviews about the budget CM psu's. If you want to lean towards Nvidia, then GTX560 Ti is the best option which performs well over 6870 but marginally less than 6950.

axis said:
Hi guys, I am looking to upgrade my Graphic card. My main question is whether MSI R6850 Cyclone or the MSI R6950 Twin Frozer III fit in an NZXT Gamma Cabinet? Other question is if my PSU CoolerMaster 550W Extreme power will be able to drive these cards properly? I intend to upgrade my PC once Bulldozer arrives but have to upgrade the GPU now since I will need my current Palit 8400GS for my oldest PC(am converting that one to an HTPC).

One more thing, I have read some discussions here on TE and in other forums on R6850 vs 550Ti and R6950 vs 560Ti; based on these discussions I am thinking of R6850/R6950. But my 8400GS did serve me well for all this time, so would you guys suggest any of the Nvidia cards over these. Tesselation and Physx has to count for something right?

AFAIK, it wont have any problem atleast in gaming :)

vantheman5211 said:
Will a i3 2100(already purchased),tx650 and 6950 2gb have any problems?

I have zeroed on 6950 + tx650.but will there be any problems for the 6950 with a i3 2100?

6670 at 5.3K

6770 at 6.8K

6790 at 7.9K

Asus GTX550 ti Direct Cu at 8.5K

anachronox said:
Thanks DarkAngel & Memnom!

I checked my SMPS unit and its rated as the Huntkey Greenpower in the link below

HUNTKEY

So its rated for Max power output of 500W!

Is there any more options on the GPU, something that costs between 5-8K :)

chiragsthakur said:
At low resolutions its the CPU which matters more. Anyways If its a core 2 duo, then it will be fine. He can opt for either 5670 or 6670.. IMO 6670, the new MSI version at 5.3K is a good deal. May I know the details of his generic PSU?? Amperage rating on +12V rail??

Thanks for the reply. I'll try and get him to check the psu ratings. However, will the cards like 5670 or 6670 also need a branded psu? He is absolutely not into OCing or anything like that. His usage is also very low, just some movie watching and stuff.

Just to be on safer side the amperage rating needs to be checked bro... :) I am not saying they wont run, they will, but maybe a generic psu can turn out bad in some months, and you know what, such Psu can even take away some of internal components with it too when it dies. So its up to the user.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back