Graphic Cards GPU issues (advice on repair/buy)

Long time lurker, wanted advice.

Had a 7 year old GTX 1080 that conked out last week (booting into windows 10 caused both my monitors to go dark, and then GPU fans ramped to max in about twenty to thirty seconds). I clean my PC pretty regularly, and have had no issues since I built it in 2016/17. Even then, I changed the thermal paste and pads on the card, and it still has the same issue (though the thermal pads my PC guy had were 2mm in height, and the recommended ones are 0.5 mm and 1mm - he said it would be a tight fit but still work). Now I am in a unique situation where I will probably be leaving the country for an extended period of time in 2/3 months, and I really wanted to get a last couple of hundred hours of gaming done before I leave, and because I also want to give my PC away to a cousin.

Have a bunch of questions:
1) If anyone has experienced something similar/is more knowledgeable about GPUs, should I bother spending more time trying to salvage my 1080? Maybe try getting the exact dimensions of thermal pads, the only ones I found on Amazon?
2) Or, do I just grab a second-hand card instead?
3) Other suggestions, if any.

Last edited:
Honestly it depends is the answer. Do you plan on giving away the PC to a cousin, then get a 2nd hand GPU. Lot of good deals in every price bracket! Got my brother a 3070 for 18K 2nd hand.
If you dont plan to give it away, depending on your city you could even get a PC on rent. kinda crazy but suits your use case.

Salvaging it - I dont know who does repairs reliably in india. So I cant comment on it.

It'll be best getting a second hand gpu I'd say. You can get a lot of value with 20k. This will also allow your cousin to enjoy the pc without any hiccups.

Honestly it depends is the answer. Do you plan on giving away the PC to a cousin, then get a 2nd hand GPU. Lot of good deals in every price bracket! Got my brother a 3070 for 18K 2nd hand.
If you dont plan to give it away, depending on your city you could even get a PC on rent. kinda crazy but suits your use case.

Salvaging it - I dont know who does repairs reliably in india. So I cant comment on it.
I'm not too keen on renting a PC, because mine is still working without the GPU. I reckon it'd be better to grab something like a used GTX 1080 or RTX 2070 or RX 6600 (or other cards in a similar range of 10-12k). Would you have any recommendations on where to look outside this forum? I have checked FB Marketplace and OLX/Quickr here, but it is atrocious.

@karanssh got a used RX 6600 for 12k + shipping, with 8 months of warranty remaining, and despite a small delay/hiccup with Delhivery, got the card yesterday. Card tested fine, does a stable 2690 MHz max at 1100 mV - guy I bought from already had tested it but stressing it myself gave me some peace of mind haha. The seller was vouched by the hardware lab guy you suggested, and everything went smoothly (apart from Delhivery, **** them). :mad:

Thanks for the recommendations, was very helpful!

@karanssh got a used RX 6600 for 12k + shipping, with 8 months of warranty remaining, and despite a small delay/hiccup with Delhivery, got the card yesterday. Card tested fine, does a stable 2690 MHz max at 1100 mV - guy I bought from already had tested it but stressing it myself gave me some peace of mind haha. The seller was vouched by the hardware lab guy you suggested, and everything went smoothly (apart from Delhivery, **** them). :mad:

Thanks for the recommendations, was very helpful!
nice! I am happy to hear you got a 6600. I bought a 6600xt new for 33K during the crypto days :banghead:
Delhivery sucks always, no solution :rolleyes:

Back