Car & Bike Gotta buy a used bike - need help

sri_rng

Adept
Hi,

I plan to buy an used bike soon and need your help. I know how to drive a bike but have never owned one.

Now I am planning to go for a decent second hand bike as my first bike.

I want to know where i can look for good deals online (wish there was a market section here on TE :p) I searched online and found many classifieds site, but I dunno how I can trust the sellers.

What do I need to look in the bike before buying? how do I decide whether it's a fair price or not?

I am looking for a bike under 35k.. max 40k.. I like apache and unicorn. I love the Yamaha RX ones but found them to be overpriced for >5 year old models!!

Any pointers?

40K is a little too much for a used bike IMHO. For 5 to 6K more, you can very well get a new bike. It will help you avoid hair-splitting confusions, and you will never regret later.

in the mentioned budget of upto 40k,you'll get bikes which are atleast 2 years old. that too its a little difficult to find at that price(150cc ones).

i am not sure if u'll get deals for bikes online. u'll have to check out dealers in your locality as they'll be able to help you out to connect with second hand dealers. Take along an experienced biker friend with you to judge the bike and take test drive.

Also try finding where are dealers for bank confiscated bikes (bikes which have been taken back due to non payment of emi of bike). These one have well documented papers as they are with the bank and the condition would be also good, unlike many second hand bikes, where people sell because of some problem with the bike.

at ur budget forget 150cc bikes, if u get them under 40k and less than 2 yrs old then definitely there is something wrong.

hp-india said:
40K is a little too much for a used bike IMHO. For 5 to 6K more, you can very well get a new bike. It will help you avoid hair-splitting confusions, and you will never regret later.

how? only 100cc bike would be available for 40+6k as per your saying.

how? only 100cc bike would be available for 40+6k as per your saying.

Well.. he never mentioned his bike preferences..! I, for one, would prefer a new first hand than a used one any time. :)

I had mentioned I like Unicorn and Apache :)

Anyway, if I go for a new bike I will have to still worry about which bike to buy!! And besides, this being my first bike, I would like to minimize the risk and go for something cheaper.

sri_rng said:
I had mentioned I like Unicorn and Apache :)

Anyway, if I go for a new bike I will have to still worry about which bike to buy!! And besides, this being my first bike, I would like to minimize the risk and go for something cheaper.

I suggest you take a friends who knows his bikes well enough and pay a visit to some local bike dealers (ones that sell 2nd hand bikes). You can also checkout the bank-seized bikes, when on display.

By doing the above, you'll get a good idea of the options available in your price range. Now, those options can be posted here and we can guide you further.

You should also look out for places that offer a transparent purchase process, wherein all the necessary documents are handed over and procedures followed.

Be cautious: Some places might have deals that seem TOO GOOD to be true and that might just be the case. *stolen bikes*.

try classifieds section on team-bhp.com

also remember, almost all bikes with 2nd hand bike dealers have their odometers tweaked.
Try to buy it directly from owner.

sri_rng said:
Bank seized vehicles sounds good. Gotta hunt them somewhere. Any idea where I can get to know such deals?

A few banks advertise in the classifieds (Auto) section of the most popular newspapers Or you can just visit one of them and casually enquire.

Had seen one such lot organized by ICICI.

I have been to these classifieds websites, but it is usually filled with dealers! And the questions again boils down to credibility of these dealers.

It will be dream come true if banks organize the sale of seized vehicles publicly by organizing a mela of some kind.

Is there any thumb rule to value a bike? I mean, for depreciation over time.

depends if you want good average or speed, average is less speed & speed means less average, average thingy you can go for splendor or passion, good average & less on maintenance, which has got a good resale value atleast you can recover 80% of the money later whenever you want to buy new bike.

if you want to go for looks and speed, pick anything you like

If you want a very fast bike you can go with RXZ, but overall Unicorn will be a better option... i owned 2 pulsar's but i am not happy with the performance...

entirely depends on what exactly you are looking for, i have sold my hero honda hunk bike recently,and got a new one now a different one and believe me if you want to get a used bike, it can be risky, u wouldnt really be able to judge at first if its a well maintained bike, its all in the heart of it, the engine, tha sets a bike apart, hop on it, do some rounds and you should feel the thump in it, depends also on the handling of the bike, people who take care of thr bikes, maintain it well, regular service etc.

the kms run also is a factor, less run second hand bike is always preferable. and ya out of choices, i would suggest unicorn if your looking for a balance of performance and fuel efficiency, unicorn hits the right spot, stay from yamaha, apache if u have a thing for speed, my vote goes for stunner :p well thats my new bike, little higher on fuel efficiency, great pickup, above average high speed.

All the best!!

Pat said:
^^From what I have read, its 20% after 1 year and 10% every year after that!

insurance co have a rule of strait 20% after 1 year, but in reality when u go out to sale the old vehicle, you would see the price ranges go really low, almost 30-35%, so for a 150cc bike u can look around 40k (+- 3k depending on the cond of bike), 125cc would be aruond 35k (+-3k depending on the cond of bike), 100ccs any where bw 22-28k

Well I bought a My Uni (1 year old, but 18k on odo, his home was 25km from office) for 45k, yes I paid a little more, but bike's condition was top notch, it looked like not more then 1 month old, so couldn't resist.

When I was searching for the bike in bangalore, it did took almost a month. contact your friends who are working in IT companies. Yes it's a little frustrating. :)

Searched the classifieds, most of them are overpriced and it is difficult to trust them!

It would have been so nice if we had something like our market section for bikes!

Have a similar kind of query so posting here only.

Even i would be getting a used bike as my first bike.I am getitng a cbz 2000 model for 18k,gonna use it for a year then get a new bike.Performance is my main factor,what kind of performance can i except from this bike.

Back