Google selling Motorola phone business to Lenovo for $2.9 billion

SAN FRANCISCO: Google is selling Motorola Mobility's smartphone business to Lenovo group for $2.9 billion.
China's Lenovo goup is picking up about 2,000 Motorola patents in addition to the phone manufacturing operations.

The deal announced on Wednesday will rid Google Inc. of a financial headache that has plagued the company since buying Motorola Mobility for $12.4 billion in 2012. Motorola has lost nearly $2 billion since Google took over in May 2012 while trimming its workforce from 20,000 to 3,800.

Google is retaining most of Motorola's portfolio of mobile patents, providing the company with legal protection for its widely used Android software for smartphones and tablet computers. Gaining control of Motorola's patents was the main reason Google CEO Larry Page decided to make the most expensive acquisition in the Internet company's 15-year history.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...novo-for-2-9-billion/articleshow/29575449.cms

I welcome this move. At least we will now get Motorola phones in India now. They make the best radios(RIL) in business, something really needed for a country like India.

I welcome this move, this also means Lenovo is emerging as a key player in smart phone market fast. Down fall of PC had made their survival difficult !

Ah, so it was Moto that lenovo was going to acquire after all.

Does this mean htc is in the clear ? as i thought they would be on the selling block.

Back