Google Hacked? Just A DNS Glitch says Google!

~HeadShot~

Skilled
googlehacked.gif

03.11 PM, PST: Looks like we are having a Google outage - apparently someone has hijacked their Domain, and something called SoGoSearch is showing up instead. GMail was down as well. Google ads are not being served up as well. Am I the only one, or did you guys feel the webquake as well? Man if this is a hack, then we now know nothing - not even god, I mean Google is safe! Is this someone’s idea of teaching them a lesson? Or has the Web Accelerator shown its true colors? Lots of unanswered questions. Here is a screen grab by the way!

Update #1: Some people say they have it back, but I am still having trouble logging in to my Gmail. And still not getting Google homepage. I have left voice mail and sent emails to Google’s PR people and their hotline. Not sure, what’s going on precisely but will be on the story.

Update #2: Some people are saying in the comments here and over at [rank=www.engadget.com/entry/1234000610042620]Engadget[/rank], that Google might have been in middle of a DNS software switch. I still can’t believe that a strange image would just show up there.

Update #3: David Krane, the big cheese @ Google PR wrote back a few seconds ago and had this to add, “Google’s global properties were unavailable for a short period of time earlier today. We’ve remedied the problem and access to Google has been restored worldwide.”

Update # 4: More from Mr. Krane of Google: BTW, this was not the result of a hack or any kind of security issue. “Yes, it was a DNS issue. We’re seeing things as fully restored as of more than 30 min. ago. You’re the first to send such a screen shot and report this kind of issue. I’ll bounce it to the tech staff and will keep you posted.” I got another [rank=www.gigaom.com/images/googleproblems.gif]screenshot which was as of 5.08 PM PST.[/rank] Not sure if I am having this problem in specific or others noticing the same issue. I use comcast as broadband provider. Any updates people?

Update #5: Everything back to normal. All Google services are working. Though as an aside, Google has reached the full capacity for its Web Accelerator Beta.

Update #6: [rank=img179.echo.cx/img179/7959/googlehacked7to.jpg]Yet another screen shot[/rank]. [rank=img241.echo.cx/img241/6208/googlemsn3lp.png]And another one[/rank], plus looks like someone swiped [rank=hbarbobot.kicks-ass.net/?p=42]the domain name.[/rank] Larry Magid was on the local CBS radio [rank=www.pcanswer.com/audio/kcbs_google_down.mp3]talking about the Google’s great vanishing trick.[/rank]

Recap: 6:13PM PST: Google was not hacked, but instead had a DNS problem. For some readers the site was redirecting to the SoGoSearch page. That continues to fox me, and I plan to investigate further. All services have been restored. I find it amazing: Google is now as integrated in our lives as a phone company, or heaven forbid, TV networks.

[RANK="www.gigaom.com/2005/05/07/google-hacked/"]Source[/RANK]

Well... No one finds it interesting that Google has been hacked? Huh!
But I do feel very insecure after reading this up! If one of the world's largest companies could be hacked, esp. one which provides a host of services that can compromise users security/privacy, then think about what security will we have!

It wasnt hacked .. this is what happened -

They were just taking advantage of browser behavior.

www.google.com.net leads to sogosearch.com

When IE fails to resolve an address, IE will try adding .net and .com to the end of the address on the assumption maybe the user forgot to add it.

Back