Google Chrome to Assassinate Windows

malhotraraul

Skilled
googlechromelogo.png

The most important news of the year – Google will launch Google Chrome OS by mid of 2010. First of all what is Chrome OS ?

Google says “ the operating systems that browsers run on were designed in an era where there was no web, so it is our effort to re-think what operating systems should be â€

It is going to be totally open sourced (code will be released by the end of this year) and will run on both x86 as well as ARM chip set. Software architecture? “ windowing system on top of a Linux kernel †and Web is going to be the obvious development platform.

Chrome OS could prove to be an assassin of MS and I mean this in a big way. Google is completely changing the paradigm of OS. Until now an OS was typically considered to be a static program lying in side your hard disk whose main purpose was to boot your system and then handle most of the controls to the application programs like browser etc. This approach will take a back seat now and starting from Chrome OS, OS will be totally integrated with the web. Of course the earlier paradigm will still be around but that might just slowly but very surely vanish into thin air down the road.

This is the starting of a new era… Google is ready to redefine the Operating System.

LINK

SORRY IF REPOST

This is great. Open source operating system with such a huge company backing it... Go go go go !! :hap2:
BTW, wrong section??

long shot by google. assassinate windows? :rofl:

no company will risk shifting to an open sourced os even if its free.

Although its nice to see Google bringing out some new stuff, I would stay away from Google's OS no matter how good it is.

^^ True. And I am not a believer of the "Anything Google does is gonna be great" theory. Let us wait for at least a glimpse of the product before jumping to conclusions. I will reserve my judgment as to whether Google OS will assassinate Windows or not. :p

I have a few questions:
1. Won't I need an OS to open the browser first? :huh:
2. Will I will need a superfast internet connection if everything is to be loaded quickly? :Comp3:
3. What do I do when the internet is not working? :sos:
4. When I am installing a game on this so-called OS will I actually be uploading? Also since everyone will be using the same OS and if it is not based on user accounts i.e., anything 1 person uploads is shared by all then 1 guy buys and installs a game and I get to it play it for free :yahoo: or don't I :'(?

Aladdin said:
This is great. Open source operating system with such a huge company backing it... Go go go go !! :hap2:
BTW, wrong section??

:lol: Only if they make their own products available in Linux (Chrome). Still many google products are only available for Windows and are infancy when it comes to linux development.

The video support in Gmail is the best example. Add to that there is still no Chrome stable release for Linux yet, while windows users have been using the stable version for quite a long time.

Double standards I say :p . The Chrome OS was never meant to annihilate Windows or any other OS. Its just another Linux specially designed for netbooks ohh and do not forget the company behing it :p

I must say that the statement does make me ROFL.

MS has been in the OS business for more than 25 years now and so many OS have come and gone in the market during this time period, MS Windows still holds 89% of the market and OS X has 9%. The rest 2% represent all the other operating systems including various flavors of Linux. Now Google wants to say that their puny Net book flavor of Linux which cannot even compete on equal footing with any of the major Linux variants in that 2% is suddenly going to gobble own the entire windows market in under an year. Now that's what I call height of optimism. :rofl:

ROFL "Assassinate" is a show of total over-confidence. For sure google does nice stuff, but i dont think it can "assassinate" windows. And I dont think MS will stay silent, it will come up with its own Web based OS. Moreover, i still doubt how feasible web based OSes will be.

And the best part is, MS came up with Windows 7. And people are lovin it. So no "assassins" here :p.

Lord Nemesis said:
I must say that the statement does make me ROFL.

MS has been in the OS business for more than 25 years now and so many OS have come and gone in the market during this time period, MS Windows still holds 89% of the market and OS X has 9%. The rest 2% represent all the other operating systems including various flavors of Linux. Now Google wants to say that their puny Net book flavor of Linux which cannot even compete on equal footing with any of the major Linux variants in that 2% is suddenly going to gobble own the entire windows market in under an year. Now that's what I call height of optimism. :rofl:

Google has stolen lots of MS employees. Google now has the smartest of the guys in CS research. :D

But still MS too has its assets.

Party Monger said:
Wasnt apple supposed to assassinate windows?

Or did you guys jumped on to the other boat before the old one sank?

What ? Apple Products are always at Premium only for few rich users who can afford it. Apple never wanted to be regular company with products for all. Its like luxury in computing.

Chrome is build around massive cloud computing. Now last week gmail was down for 100 hours. I haven't heard ever that MSN was down for that much amount of time. Its not about how big a company is, its about experience. That is what Microsoft has.

Chrome browser just stole 7% users of IE. All of them were IE6 users. Now with launch of IE8, Microsoft has shown maturity in releasing a much better css/html compliant browser.
So saying chrome would Assassinate windows is utter rubbish.

Orkut is still beta. Gmail sucks. Even email from godaddy (secureserver.net) has better features than gmail. Google hasn't done anything great apart creating Google.

A good laugh just as I returned from office. Get your head checked. Or your nuts. Cause they seem to have interchanged places :p

malhotraraul said:
bwaaaaaahhahahahah, ubuntu is fine, how many of u have legal windows xp / vista / 7 ??

my vista home is legal

Microsoft site says i am using a genuine xp thats all i know:rofl:.

Back