Google Chrome Continues Its Steady Climb Towards Dominance in June

Hades.

Skilled
Source: Google Chrome Continues Its Steady Climb Towards Dominance in June - Softpedia

210j1w8.jpg

Hardly surprising, but Google Chrome has continued its steady, though recently somewhat slower, rise, gaining even more users, while Firefox and Internet Explorer's market share slips away slowly. Granted, it's going to be a while before Chrome becomes a threat to Firefox, depending on who's numbers you rely on, but the steady growth seem unstoppable.

Google Chrome was used by 13.11 percent of users in June 2011, 0.6 percent points more than in the previous month, according to data from Net Applications. That may not seem like much of a rise, but getting half of a percent point per month quickly ads up.

Considering that Chrome has been doing this since it launched, practically, without falter, and that there are no signs or foreseeable factors that would greatly diminish or reverse Chrome's rise, everyone else is just heading towards the inevitable conclusion.

Firefox was used by 21.67 percent of internet users, slightly down from the 21.71 percent in May. Firefox has been hovering around the 21 percent mark since the start of the year and around the 22 percent mark for more than a year now.

While Firefox's market share doesn't seem to be diminishing, just staying put is not going to cut it.

Internet Explorer, of course, is the big loser once again, though, as is almost always the case, the drop is small. The number of people using Internet Explorer, regardless of the version, dropped from 54.27 percent in May to just 53.68 percent in the last month.

IE had 56 percent of the market at the beginning of the year. At that time, Firefox had 22.74 percent and Google Chrome 10.70 percent.

Elsewhere in the market, Apple's Safari is also making some headway, as has been the case recently, and has reached 7.48 percent market share. Meanwhile Opera sees one of the biggest drops in recent months and hits 1.73 percent market share.

Firefox and Chrome are equally good. Just that Firefox has WAY awesomer plugins, and Chrome is FAST to boot and load pages.

My default is Chrome :)

RD274 said:
I feel bad for Opera. So underrated :(
CA50 said:
^ same here, still i vote for opera, new opera looks coooll :)
Opera lost it all in the marketing. They never tried to reach out to the average user. Now they are trying to, and I am not liking some of the things they are up to in the process - Featherbird for instance. I have been using Opera for 8 years now, and it would be a pity if they force long time users like me off their product. Their CEO recently resigned over differences in opinion on the way forward. Hopefully, that wouldn't have a negative impact

and why the hell will chrome not rise ??

go open your tv and you will see the "chrome by google" ads on every tv channel now and then , was this was with firefox ?? no , was this was with opera ?? no ..
firefox gained popularity because of the internet geek culture (basically people boasting of its extensions and others also wanna try to use it ) not to mention it became a culture because people didn't want to get ashamed by saying we use IE , most of them installed firefox just because of other people , their friends were using it ..

and about opera ?? well netscape and opera are the oldest browsers , but more is that every new feature is always invented by opera and others just copy and modify it ..for instance tabbed browsing , speed dial ,etc ..

i truly feel bad for opera .. the inventor went out of the market :p

^ I would like to believe that instead of 'going out' of the market, Opera wants to take the elitist approach and be a leader

every new browser iterations look so strikingly similar to each other ,its almost creepy.for instance look at the new firefox,chrome and IE 9 they all look pretty similar.my personal favorite is chrome,because of it's simplicity and fastness.it hooked me up from the first time i tried it.it has a charm of it's own.

RD274 said:
I feel bad for Opera. So underrated :(
CA50 said:
^ same here, still i vote for opera, new opera looks coooll :)
I also feel so bad for Opera. :( Let's not worried about market share, atleast opera users have highest IQ of all the browsers out there.. :eek:hyeah: .. Internet explorer users are dumbest :p

It's official! Internet Explorer users are totally dumb | Information, Gadgets, Mobile Phones News & Reviews | Herald Sun

Internet Explorer users are dumb: study - Indian Express

Cheers!!

Chrome is my default :). So simple and so elegant. And enough extensions for the average person.

But I'll try opera since you guys said so :)

Google has a very unfair advantage. THey advertise for Chrome in many of their websites, and these are some of the most popular ones on the planet. When Youtube shifts to WebM, IE will be history for sure.

muzux2 said:
I also feel so bad for Opera. :( Let's not worried about market share, atleast opera users have highest IQ of all the browsers out there.. :eek:hyeah: .. Internet explorer users are dumbest :p

It's official! Internet Explorer users are totally dumb | Information, Gadgets, Mobile Phones News & Reviews | Herald Sun

Internet Explorer users are dumb: study - Indian Express

Cheers!!

BBC News - Internet Explorer story was bogus

Linux Today - Internet Explorer story was bogus

A story which suggested that users of Internet Explorer have a lower IQ than people who chose other browsers appears to have been an elaborate hoax.

A number of media organisations, including the BBC, reported on the research, put out by Canadian firm ApTiquant.

It later emerged that the company's website was only recently set up and staff images were copied from a legitimate business in Paris.

It is unclear who was behind the stunt.

I use all the three browsers extensively. Can't stick to one. But I'd say Opera beats Chrome with Chrome's fundamentals. Basically it has the right balance of the power of Firefox and simplicity of Chrome. and yea, it is faster than Chrome as far as using on Windows is concerned. Linux build sucks though.

What type of settings are you referring to here? I have been using Opera for a long time, but haven't done much customisation, apart from the ad blocker and mouse gesture settings. The first is a one-thing, and I am not sure a lot of people use the latter.

I agree with @pinarina that the Linux builds of Opera suck. So much so that it is hard for me to believe that it's from the same folks :D

Revolution said:
I think Opera is good but you have to customize it first.

So,for a total newbie Opera may not be a good choice.....
Nope.

It rather needs no customization. Most features are out of the box.

Back