Good time to upgrade desktop?

HareshG

Disciple
I am wrestling the idea of a new desktop. Once peiced together , i rarely upgrade...so on one hand i do not see the point in waiting for a socket which will live long at the same time I see that bulldozer and perhaps ivy-bridge around the corner;not to mention other socket revisions by intel..but that's pushing it to late '11. Correct me if i am wrong , a new range of GPU's are about to be launched as well.

The system i build will be used for playing games & movies.Budget about 50-60K.I am in no rush , so i can wait and watch for a couple more months. I do not plan to buy something which is about to be phased out. I'd rather go for something which is in mid-life crisis.

Not that any features like USB 3.0 etc are important right now ,I'd like to hear what can they actually change.

Cheers!

Sandy Bridge is here. But mobo availabilty is still an issue.
So wait for the AMD Bulldozer release. It should release in Q2 2011.(Next couple of months) Then you will get a clear picture of which one to go for.

Not a good time at all. In another 4-8 months we may have Ivy Bridge will be a similar just as that from Core 2 Quad to Core i7, it will be a similar jump from Core i7. And it will probably rule the top slot for the next 2-3 years hopefully just like Core 2s and Core iS.

So it is best to wait for now!

It's(Ivy Bridge) going to be the 22nm processors , compatible with the current H67 and P67 Mobos giving more headroom , ..... well,tbh , no can predict what will rule in next 3 yrs when it comes to Processors , the technology is improving with the speed of light !!! i second DA !! waiting for bulldozer is what u should be doing, which is max to max , 3months give or take a few weeks !!!!

Back