Android Good 7" tablet for under 10k?

Crazy_Eddy

Staff member
Super Mod
Looking for a budget 7" tab that has good value like the Nexus 7 (2012) did.

Some tablets I've looked at :
- Asus Fonepad 2014 : does not have an IPS screen :(
- Xolo Tegra Note 7 : questionable support, plus apps not too well optimised for Tegra (?)

The Fonepad 2013 or Dell Venue 7 look like decent options. Anything else I'm overlooking?
I guess primary purpose will be mild gaming.

Last edited:
What happened to Nexus 7 2012?

Mine is awfully slow now.
The slowdowns have been linked to the cheap flash memory used in it. It degrades fairly fast. There are some workarounds, like custom ROMs using the F2FS file system.
As with any flash memory based device, size matters. If you have the smallest 8GB variant then you are hit quickly. The 16/32GB variants take some time. Mine is a 16GB variant used mainly for light email activity, so it hasn't been noticeable till recently.
Any good I/O benchmarking tools on Android that are similar to the PC CrystalDiskMark tool?

If you are OK with used, get a N7 (2013).
Tempted to. But it's supposed to be a gift.

The slowdowns have been linked to the cheap flash memory used in it. It degrades fairly fast. There are some workarounds, like custom ROMs using the F2FS file system.
As with any flash memory based device, size matters. If you have the smallest 8GB variant then you are hit quickly. The 16/32GB variants take some time. Mine is a 16GB variant used mainly for light email activity, so it hasn't been noticeable till recently.
Any good I/O benchmarking tools on Android that are similar to the PC CrystalDiskMark tool?

Tempted to. But it's supposed to be a gift.

Thanks for the information.

I am also tempted to upgrade but I hardly use my tablet. Its mainly used when I Travel and for that purpose its fine.

Bumping this old thread,

Is flash memory related issue is specific to any OS version or in general this is prevalent ?

I am looking to get a tablet to watch TV shows (at the max 720p) and considering buying used Nexus 7 2012 or 2013 - on tight budget, hence the question.

It is prevalent in general, however I think lollipop is pretty resource hungry because its visibly sluggish in that OS version.

BTW every budget tablet was missing some tiny feature or the other (Asus Fonepad 2013 for eg was missing gorilla glass, ambient light sensor, etc.), so finally just got the Nexus 7 2013.

Answering myself, Androbench helped benchmark I/O.

I dont even feel like taking the tablet out. Its that slow. I rather prefer to watch movies on the phone. Its just not worth it anymore.

Thinking of giving this to Parents now.

Reading above comments I suppose I should stay away from this one, though I could find one unused for ~4k.

Back