GigaLan+wifi router

Naga

Skilled
I'm planning to upgrade to giga LAN frm my present 10/100+wifi g setup. Looking for recommendations for a good router here.

Would be nice if the wifi is draft N but I'm ok with G speeds as all my wifi devices are G only (I might get a wifi N card for one of my machines if I get a N router). 4 ports are enough for the LAN. If a ADSL modem is also inbuilt, better but not at a significantly higher price. Willing to source from Newegg if it's not available in India.

Also, will the whole network be have to be on gigabit or can some devices still operate on 10/100 without slowing down the gigabit connections?

Looking forward to inputs...

Gigabit has backward compatibility so as long as your running CAT6 cables, your 10/100 devices will run at 100Mbps and the 100/1000 devices at 1000Mbps.

Take a look at the D-Link router farookh recently bought, or any of the Linksys models around.

Consider a dual-radio N-draft wireless routers which will ensure your G-speed devices will work at G and N-speed devices will work at N separately without slowing down :eek:hyeah:

@apollyon, the Dlink looks good. Also, pls confirm my existing cables work in 100/1000 without any changes and/or lag/ drops.

@broar94, any particular device?

@Anish, can u link me to what farookh got? My net's been erratic with low speeds, so pls don't mind :)

only new significant performance boost is the radio itself.. it operates at 5Ghz hence 2.4Ghz will be free from any interference from Wi-Fi signals and better LAN/WLAN speeds,. Range is pretty much same(some case, even worse than 'G') I hear.. farookh's DGL-4500 does not have dual radio.. Maybe linksys WRT600N will do the job..

OP, see this router as well DLink DIR-855- D-Link DIR-855 Xtreme N Duo Media Router but product availability is very low as of now..

Okay, set on the WRT600N. The USB NAS support is the clincher to the otherwise rich feature set. Before I ask kmd for a quote, any suggestions for a N PCI card?

hey guys was happenig to read pc world mag they reviewed draft N routers according their shootout the b/w netgear WNR834b,DLINK-615,buffalo Nfiniti giga.
the overall fastest was the netgear WNR834B also had the best range followed by the buffalo was faster at close range.
netgear WNR834 retails for 6800.
buffalo Nfiniti costs 6800
dlink 615 costs 6000.

Naga said:
Okay, set on the WRT600N. The USB NAS support is the clincher to the otherwise rich feature set. Before I ask kmd for a quote, any suggestions for a N PCI card?
I'd say stick to the Linksys card. It'll obviously give you the best speeds ;)

adder said:
hey guys was happenig to read pc world mag they reviewed draft N routers according their shootout the b/w netgear WNR834b,DLINK-615,buffalo Nfiniti giga.
You really don't believe shootouts by Indian mags, do you?

adder said:
well it depends, well sometimes i dont believe the uks whats hi fi either.
Well only a certain bunch of What Hi-Fi's reviews are done in India and still its always better to look up a dedicated audiophile review site, but the only plus is that the stuff WHF reviews is actually available in the Indian market, what you see on websites its usually impossible to procure.

Anish said:
I'd say stick to the Linksys card. It'll obviously give you the best speeds ;)

Which Linksys card?

Anyone? Want to order the card with the router. Don't wanna go with USB ones, only PCI.

Ok, I'm a little lost here. Do I need dual band on the card if I need to access N speeds and other wifi devices are on G?

Back