Gigafying (and n'fying) the home network

superczar

Skilled
continuing from here, http://www.techenclave.com/networking/which-n-router-with-gigabit-ports-128984.html

So I went around to take a look at some of the n routers available locally and didn't find anything that fits my need ..Apparently the only one model that fits my requirements is a WRT610n which is available only on order for a asking price of 9K :O

Anyway, here goes:

Existing setup

1) Ubuntu box acting as Internet gateway + DNS + DHCP server
2) Linksys WRT54G
3) Client systems, including a mix of wired gigabit/100mbps clients and wireless n/g clients

The WRT54G is running as a wireless + wired switch with the WAN port disabled (rather, configured as a LAN port)

Objectives:

- Gigabit connectivity on the Ubuntu Box, media center PC and Mac Mini
- n connectivity on Macbook
- g connectivity on other wireless clients
- Retain n connectivity on macbook even when g clients are connected
- Retain gigabit connectivity on gigabit clients even when 100mbps clients are connected

Option 1
Buy a Linksys WRT610 and replace wrt54g with it, setting it up as a wireless switch

Cost - Approx 9K

Option 2

Buy a 8 port gigabit switch and any vanilla n router (single band
Hook the vanilla n router and existing wrt54g (both with WAN disabled) as well as the other wired clients to the switch
Connect MB to n router and other wireless clients to g router

Cost - Apprx 2.4 K + 3.3K (switch + router)

Option 3
Buy a 8 port gigabit switch and an n adapter
Set it up similar to option 2 but with the n adapater connected directly to the gateway machine

Cost - Approx 2.4K + cost of n adapter (no idea how much though)

Questions
- Recommendations
- Cost of Gigabit NIC cards
- Cost of a n USB/PCI adapter

Been reading up a bit and seems that n networks are still nowhere cliose to the kind of speed enhancements they were expected to offer...

Anish/Naga, any comments, if you guys have done any thoroughput tests on your n network

I'd say Option 1, with the router sourced from KMD. You'll probably get it under 8k that way. N adapters are by no means cheap. You'll probably end up forking out close to 4k for one single adapter. Plus, Option 1 has less hassles to implement since it's just one single device that needs to be set up.

Yeah, you're right about that. The Draft N networks in place today don't deliver quite as much as they've promised. Still better off than an all G network, of course, but only if all the wireless devices are N devices as well. That works out totally expensive though.

Just called up the Apple store in Chennai and they have the airport extreme (dual band, gigabit, wideband on both 5ghz and 2.4 ghz) for 9K

The Linksys costs more or less the same/..

Meesa having second thoughts about the whole exercise...

I have a rock solid 100mbps / wireless g network and wondering if it is worth the effort and money to make all the changes...

Still contemplating

Practically speaking, not worth it at the moment! At least not unless you're getting the router for cheap, which 9k isn't!! Maybe a little later, once N series products actually start to deliver on what they've been promising.

N definitely does increase speeds, on my Macbook a HD movie transfers from my server (Which is linked to the router via ethernet) in approximately 20 mins while my 802.11g Netgear (used to extend range on the ground floor) take 35min+.

Streaming HD also is a LOT smoother.

@ Superczar, I have the WRT600N and its rock solid. I would strongly suggest option 1, wherein you connect all wired devices via gigabit to the router and all wireless devices via the n/g bands.

Downside is, the dual band is a hoax cause the 5Ghz band is .11 a/ n only and has horrible range.

No complaints on the 2.4G band though.

Would love to hear some more real world experiences...

Plonking 10K + for a router and a couple of gigabit NICs may not be worth it for a jump from a measly 2MB/s to a nearly equally measly 3-3.5 MB/s...

BTW how much did you spend on the wrt600?

I think I spent arnd 8~9k on the WRT600N. The 610 is an upgrade. Looks much sweeter and ironed out some bugs.

WiFi N speed and range is very good on the 2.4 GHz band (approx 5~9 MBps for a 700MB file). 5 GHz is lousy for range. On my gigabit network of 2 PCs, one running Vista x64 and the other on XP 32 SP3, I've had transfer speeds of 30~35 MBps for a 700MB file. And, of course, wi-fi is lousy for multiple small files :) . The 600N also has a storage link to use a USB HDD as a network storage but that's a joke as transfers are measly at 3~4MBps (tested with a 500GB Seagate Free Agent Desktop (3.5" drive). If you have a spare pen drive, it can be used as a synced documents folder when ur main rig is off and u want to access them thru ur lappy.

I think I've made it obvious that I'd recommend going for the router. The Airport Extreme has also earned good reviews for it's speed so decide on overall features and looks as they cost almost the same. If u can find something cheaper but with a single band, I'd say go for it. Dual band's a expensive laugh for me. I had to go get a dual band N adapter which always uses the 2.4 band anyway :no: !

...the WRT310N is a certified Draft N 2.0 router. Both routers feature Linksys' proprietary wireless enhancing technology called RangePlus. This means the WRT310N can potentially offer higher than wireless-G speed to non-wireless-N adapters that support this technology (You'll need to get those from Linksys; they are availalbe in PC Cards, USB, and PCI adapter form factors). In real life, you might not find any chances to take advantage of this at all and you won't miss much, either, as a Draft N adapter would get a much faster speed than a RangePlus adapter anyway.

Source: Linksys WRT310N Wireless-N Gigabit Router Router reviews - CNET Reviews

Looks good.

The WRT310N is a good bet. If it's not urgent, then there is a WRT320N that's being launched sometime this month or the next. Basically an updated version of the 310N. Kinda like the 600N and the 610N.

I got the 600N same time with Naga for 8k-ish via KMD.

310N looks good, if you have time wait for the 320N as Edrill said..

Superczar,

Did you check out the Airport Extreme? The online reviews are too good.

The router WRT my bro has currently is giving a lot of problems, so he was looking to buy this. I thought I'd gift it to him sometime.

McAgnel said:
Superczar,

Did you check out the Airport Extreme? The online reviews are too good.

The router WRT my bro has currently is giving a lot of problems, so he was looking to buy this. I thought I'd gift it to him sometime.

Really nice of you to dig up a thread thats more than a year old. :mad::mad:

A Netgear WNR2000 (based on a WRT firmware - but not flashable to Open/DD WRT) can be picked up from ebay india for 1900 Rs. Max bandwidth is 300mbps

A USB based wireless-N card is for 1000 rs approx (cheaper if you buy it from ebay US through a hong kong based seller).

^ Thank you for your reply.

stalker said:

:p Cool down stalker.
It is better than creating a new thread and asking the same info. :eek:hyeah:

stalker said:

There is no power and I've been reading a year old thread on my iPod touch for the past 10 mins. Well done Mc Agnel. A simple pm would have done the job for you.

Back