Graphic Cards GFX cleaning suggesions needed

saROMan

Disciple
ok..so my HD4870 started clocking temps upto 75 °C under load so thought of giving it a overhaul .. so cleaned it - reapplied TIM & as don't have thermal pads so re-used the old one's.

now the GFX runs 55~60 °@ idle & 105~110 °C under load (Black opps/MOHA with everything turned to full) :ashamed:

cant dare to install Metro 2033 with these temps :S

seems have done some thing wrongs .. any suggestion's??

I live in Pune so any idea where i can get thermal pads ?? (Techshop & theitwares didnt gave any results)

^^

Way to high. Is the core running at that temperature or the memories. Which driver you on. Is the cabinet well ventilated. I did the same with my 4890s and just wiped the thermal pads clean and applied new TIM after cleaning the core contact surface with IPA. Much cooler. Maxes to 70-70C. Cores.

its the core ...Mem run 80+ have Chieftec Mid tower with 120x3 + 80x2 Fans . you applied TIM to thermal Pads ??? i thought its not advised due to nature of TIM ??

guess when have time will clean it again & wipe the Pads too ... will post back with results.

thx

asingh said:
^^

Yes had applied TIM, but of course much less as compared to a conventional CPU.
Why much less than conventional CPU??? It should be almost the same, infact since the GPU size is much bigger than CPU, hence do spread it evenly yourself(I do not even spread a thin layer on CPU but just let the heatsink twist do the job for me, on GPU that is not possible)

And which TIM have you applied, wont suggest Thermal Pads at all. They are not that efficient for the core, on memory they can be OK.

^^

Well when I opened my accelerator the contact surface area seemed less as compared to a CPU. So if I take the same 'amount' of TIM I would place on a CPU surface and place it on a GPU surface area --- for sure it is going to over flow and do more harm the good.

Is the contact surface in the below image as large as an CPU HSF contact surface...??

1000965.jpg

Had used NT-H1.

asingh said:
^^

Well when I opened my accelerator the contact surface area seemed less as compared to a CPU. So if I take the same 'amount' of TIM I would place on a CPU surface and place it on a GPU surface area --- for sure it is going to over flow and do more harm the good.

Is the contact surface in the below image as large as an CPU HSF contact surface...??

Had used NT-H1.
Oh!!! didnt notice the GPU, yeah its smaller than CPU contact surface. Though do ensure that the spread is equal to what your CPU has.

i removed cleaned ...reapplied TIM (Thermalright Chill Factor) , wiped & flipped the Pads even added a 80mm Fan but ..Nop the cleaning didnt work :mad: ... now the temps are up to 56° C at idle :cursing: damn & i thought i know every thing :frusty:

saROMan said:
i removed cleaned ...reapplied TIM (Thermalright Chill Factor) , wiped & flipped the Pads even added a 80mm Fan but ..Nop the cleaning didnt work :mad: ... now the temps are up to 56° C at idle :cursing: damn & i thought i know every thing :frusty:
The idle is fine. What you getting at load. I get average 60C for both accelerators on idle.

Load..?

thebanik said:
Why much less than conventional CPU??? It should be almost the same, infact since the GPU size is much bigger than CPU, hence do spread it evenly yourself(I do not even spread a thin layer on CPU but just let the heatsink twist do the job for me, on GPU that is not possible)

I think NV cards have a heat spreader over the core like cpus ? ATI cards have the naked core, so slightly lesser amount of thermal paste would be better IMO

bottle said:
I think NV cards have a heat spreader over the core like cpus ? ATI cards have the naked core, so slightly lesser amount of thermal paste would be better IMO
That's true. If you were to put the same amount of goop on the ATI GPU's core, it would spread out of the core and the next time you would want to clean, it's a pain to get rid of those hardened goop.

A rice-grain worth quantity is more than sufficient for ATI chips. Spreads neatly to all the sides and ensures that the the base of the heatsink sits on the core flat without voids.

OK so now the temps have jumped to 70~72 ° C idle ...strangely they don't go beyond 76~78 ° under load :S ...after under clocking to 500/450 against the defaults 750/900 the temps are idle at 52~54° C:huh: . dont know what to do next :ashamed:

Back