Getting started with Home Media Server?

Just to add to what has already been said, it's best to start with the setup which is cheapest for you. This will help you better identify your usage patterns.

For instance, even if your old PC is a gas guzzler, it is not a bad idea to just get started with it. You'll get an understanding of the whole setup process and will be able to use it. Identify if there's something more you need. Once you know your usage patterns better, you will be better equipped to identify the right solution.

No point spending money unnecessarily when you already have spare PCs at home. Try the whole setup with those first.
Tried plex with the same and it works almost flawlessly for 1080p videos. For 4k or hdr related, I feel it's better to have it on local storage instead.
The only issue is the spare pc needs to run 24x7 or it needs to be switched on everyday and logged in manually. As someone pointed out it adds to electricity bills as well.

2 other alternatives I felt okay were a good router with usb3 capability or raspberry pi with 4gb ram. I never used any of these, so not sure how fast it will be compared to a spare pc.

Will keep exploring.

I completely agree with @gourav on this. First use whatever is at your disposal and see if it is even for you or not. I started my home media server journey back in 2021 and here is the thread I had started on it.
In these 2 years, I have lost 2 external HDDs to this where both failed in one year after being run 24x7. Probably they were not meant to run that way or the placement of the HDD was not optimum resulting in heat causing HDD to fail. That's why the last replacement I got, I sold that HDD on olx. I could have restarted same cycle but chose not to.
After all this, right now, I have 2 MicroSD Cards, one 64GB and one 128GB where the 64GB is for downloading torrents while 128GB where finally data lands and which is accessed by Jellyfin to manage media. Right now, I have no inclination to buy any SSD or anything as I feel this setup is ok for me as I mostly download 720p shows as I watch on tablet and I delete content after watching and with the download speeds we all have now, 5-10GB download can be done in just few minutes or max an hour.

Last edited:
Raspberry pi 4 has a hardware encoding chip, which makes it more powerful than old computers for media server purposes, despite the CPU itself being weaker. However, as pointed out earlier, you'll not be able to use this if you use Plex without Plex pass.

However, a Raspberry Pi is much preferred over a router with USB 3.0. Both will cost approximately the same, but a Pi will be much more powerful and give you a lot more flexibility. In the past, I have used Raspberry Pi as NAS and Media server, as well as a Media Player with LibreELEC. LibreELEC was wonderful, the only reason I switched to Fire Stick was because I could not run Hotstar and Netflix on LibreELEC. Pi also supports docker containers, if you want to host something else, for downloading, organizing, etc.

I completely agree with @gourav on this. First use whatever is at your disposal and see if it is even for you or not. I started my home media server journey back in 2021 and here is the thread I had started on it.
In this 2 years, I have lost 2 external HDDs to this where both failed in one year after being run 24x7. Probably they were not meant to run that way or the placement of the HDD was not optimum resulting in heat causing HDD to fail. That's why the last replacement I got, I sold that HDD on olx. I could have restarted same cycle but chose not to.
After all this, right now, I have 2 MicroSD Cards, one 64GB and one 128GB where the 64GB is for downloading torrents while 128GB where finally data lands and which is accessed by Jellyfin to manage media. Right now, I have no inclination to buy any SSD or anything as I feel this setup is ok for me as I mostly download 720p shows as I watch on tablet and I delete content after watching and with the download speeds we all have now, 5-10GB download can be done in just few minutes or max an hour.

I agree. Will try this with current laptop+plex and see how it goes.

So your setup is Raspberry pi + sd cards in terms of hardware? I didn't know sd cards would suffice for this purpose, instead of NAS hard drives. The current laptop has only 128gb ssd and I'll see if additional hdd works well or sd card.

Raspberry pi 4 has a hardware encoding chip, which makes it more powerful than old computers for media server purposes, despite the CPU itself being weaker. However, as pointed out earlier, you'll not be able to use this if you use Plex without Plex pass.

Correct, plex pass works for free only for the present pc and tv I have.

However, a Raspberry Pi is much preferred over a router with USB 3.0. Both will cost approximately the same, but a Pi will be much more powerful and give you a lot more flexibility. In the past, I have used Raspberry Pi as NAS and Media server, as well as a Media Player with LibreELEC. LibreELEC was wonderful, the only reason I switched to Fire Stick was because I could not run Hotstar and Netflix on LibreELEC. Pi also supports docker containers, if you want to host something else, for downloading, organizing, etc.

All these days I was thinking pi 4 would cost 2k or something :D.
If I understand correctly, you are saying that you have replaced raspberry pi with firestick. How come firestick works as media server? I don't think there is storage expansion for firestick.

All these days I was thinking pi 4 would cost 2k or something :D.
If I understand correctly, you are saying that you have replaced raspberry pi with firestick. How come firestick works as media server? I don't think there is storage expansion for firestick.
Pi4 should cost 6k new

I am not using Fire stick as server. I was using Pi as player with LibreElec (Kodi as a standalone OS) after I moved my NAS to Synology.

Later I replaced LibreElec with fire stick because I needed Android app support.

@Ssreek

I am using MicroSD card now because I already had them so didn't buy new. Also I totally understand that the space doesn't suffice. HDD or higher capacity is good for someone who wants to download and keep stuff. My usage is different.
I usually watch a tv show only once a season is over so no need of immediate download of episodes. Also, I can download a 1080p copy of even say 15GB in few hours using my RaspberryPi where everything is setup right now. I was contemplating buying a 1TB SSD for my media storage but then when I thought about how I use and consume media, I decided not to waste money.
If you want to store to "watch later" then by all means go for HDD and such.
I have no clue if this setup is taxing my MicroSD Card or not. Time will tell.
The 64GB microsd card on which torrents are being downloaded is being used for last 1+ year.

Since other members have already shared beginner-friendly and cheaper options, allow me to share my experience with a bit more expensive stuff. I have used most of the above shared solutions, including a RasPi 4 with LibreElec, OMV (Open Media Vault) on a old laptop and then a mini PC, a Synology NAS and even an HDD connected to a router. If you like tinkering with stuff, you should definitely try the cheapest options first and figure your way out.

But in case you detest tinkering and experimenting, getting a NAS like Synology is the easiest and most time-saving option. You can hook up a NAS to your home network, your PC can download stuff directly to it, and it can be accessed through Kodi on any Android device like a TV or Firestick. Set it up once and forget it.

If budget it an issue, get an old office PC that can support 2 or 4 HDDs. It does not have to be super powerful. 6th gen and above should be plenty powerful and can be found for 8-10K or thereabouts. Turn it into a Xpenology NAS -

I have one running with Docker+Qbittorent, so the downloading also happens on it and I don't have to keep my main PC on when I am downloading a big 4K HDR remux.

Why use this instead of cheaper options :
1. SD cards are not very reliable and may die at any time if you use them in a continuous operation. More than cost, the time and effort it takes to set up everything was annoying to me.
2. OMV with a miniPC was working well for me, but again it felt very slow at times when I used big file and I wanted instant access to data.
When you are in the mood to watch something and it takes ages to load the data or the app freezes, I get very annoyed.
3. Portable 2.5" HDDs are also not built for continuous operation. They heat up in no time. 3.5" desktop drives are recommended for reliable access.
4. Setting things up takes very little time and I don't have to deal with failure time and again.

In hindsight, I wish I had gone directly to a NAS rather than experimenting so much ('Cause old and cheap electronics die all the time and expenses add up over a period), but I won't deny that tinkering with new software and old hardware is fun.

Since other members have already shared beginner-friendly and cheaper options, allow me to share my experience with a bit more expensive stuff. I have used most of the above shared solutions, including a RasPi 4 with LibreElec, OMV (Open Media Vault) on a old laptop and then a mini PC, a Synology NAS and even an HDD connected to a router. If you like tinkering with stuff, you should definitely try the cheapest options first and figure your way out.

But in case you detest tinkering and experimenting, getting a NAS like Synology is the easiest and most time-saving option. You can hook up a NAS to your home network, your PC can download stuff directly to it, and it can be accessed through Kodi on any Android device like a TV or Firestick. Set it up once and forget it.

If budget it an issue, get an old office PC that can support 2 or 4 HDDs. It does not have to be super powerful. 6th gen and above should be plenty powerful and can be found for 8-10K or thereabouts. Turn it into a Xpenology NAS -

I have one running with Docker+Qbittorent, so the downloading also happens on it and I don't have to keep my main PC on when I am downloading a big 4K HDR remux.

Why use this instead of cheaper options :
1. SD cards are not very reliable and may die at any time if you use them in a continuous operation. More than cost, the time and effort it takes to set up everything was annoying to me.
2. OMV with a miniPC was working well for me, but again it felt very slow at times when I used big file and I wanted instant access to data.
When you are in the mood to watch something and it takes ages to load the data or the app freezes, I get very annoyed.
3. Portable 2.5" HDDs are also not built for continuous operation. They heat up in no time. 3.5" desktop drives are recommended for reliable access.
4. Setting things up takes very little time and I don't have to deal with failure time and again.

In hindsight, I wish I had gone directly to a NAS rather than experimenting so much ('Cause old and cheap electronics die all the time and expenses add up over a period), but I won't deny that tinkering with new software and old hardware is fun.
Thanks for the input.

a Synology NAS
I've seen synology prices in amazon, and I don't want to spend even half of it.

Means atleast i7-6th gen?

--------------
I would like to know if old pc+hdd+plex is better or raspberry+sdcard+jellyfin would be better.
Small form factor is main advantage of raspberry, and I can just keep it near the router with lan cable attached.

Means atleast i7-6th gen?

I would like to know if old pc+hdd+plex is better or raspberry+sdcard+jellyfin would be better.

Even i3-6th Gen would work if you are not doing transcoding.

I don't like Plex much. It puts limitations in the app to get you to buy the paid version. Jellyfin is better imo, but I prefer Kodi for my usage.

Your question is subjective. Some people might prefer one above the other, but I would go with a full size NAS (Old PC+HDD) for HDD reliability.
Of course, if size is the main consideration, RasPi would work better.

If at all @Ssreek you decide to follow the raspberry pi route then..
Both the 4gb and 2gb variants of the pi are available at robu.in at 5349 and 4649
Those are great prices for a brand new pi from authentic source...

There is a life-time purchase option, around 100$ I think.
yes, but money is money. and seeing the direction of Plex's business it risky even to spend 1paisa on them.
they took 50m funding 2yrs back and just burned the money, unlike MX player who actually tried to do something.

Jellyfin does the same for free.
plus they don't steal user private data and do not shove advertisement in user throat.
I have thrown lots of money in these kind of app in past.. 90% turned out to become something what i havent paid for.

People using PLEX etc remember that you won't be able to access your own local content if your internet goes down. Plex I guess authenticates using their servers then allows you to login to watch your "own content".
Jellyfin is all local login so even without internet, everything works fine.

Plex works fine, but the UI seems too cluttered with suggestions and other OTT related activities, haven't figured out how to disable all of them and just display only my local content.

I checked Jellyfin, seems interesting, but there is no official app, but they have given instructions on how to install it unofficially. But I don't want to brick my tv os if something wrong happens during that process. Will see if firestick comes on good discount during sale.

People using PLEX etc remember that you won't be able to access your own local content if your internet goes down. Plex I guess authenticates using their servers then allows you to login to watch your "own content".
Jellyfin is all local login so even without internet, everything works fine.
You mean if there is some issue with ISP and pc displays "no internet" right?
Not like there is no power to router and I can still watch my content :p. That's too much to ask for I guess.

Does anyone know of a plugin for Jellyfin to allow using your YT account and playing your playlists etc. via Jellyfin itself? For example, Kodi has an add-on for YT, which allows for playing YT videos within Kodi.

Plex works fine, but the UI seems too cluttered with suggestions and other OTT related activities, haven't figured out how to disable all of them and just display only my local content.

I checked Jellyfin, seems interesting, but there is no official app, but they have given instructions on how to install it unofficially. But I don't want to brick my tv os if something wrong happens during that process. Will see if firestick comes on good discount during sale.

You mean if there is some issue with ISP and pc displays "no internet" right?
Not like there is no power to router and I can still watch my content :p. That's too much to ask for I guess.

I am talking about "No Internet" part. Your wifi (as in ISP) goes down, PLEX probably becomes inaccessible, I suggest you search more on this first. I may not be completely correct.

plus they don't steal user private data and do not shove advertisement in user throat.
I have thrown lots of money in these kind of app in past.. 90% turned out to become something what i havent paid for.
Can't agree more. I do have Plex pass and Jellyfin. Few of my relatives use Plex while my friends use Jellyfin. Only disadvantage I see with Jellyfin is that it lacks 2FA for more security and the admin needs to create users and then the clients. Apart from these, JF just rocks. I will actually even sell my Plex pass account for a potential buyer . JF is that good.

Please suggest an app (for Fire TV Stick, NVidia Shield or Android TV) to view pictures stored on my NAS.

The way I can browse and watch videos through VLC app.

Back