m dream company is nvidia corp.

i wanna b a chip architect in nvidia.
can any1 help me out with the criteria nvidia requires
n how can i get into it.

regards.

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
a senior of mine @ IISc was offered a job there. methinks its better if you do a pg. Options for graduates are kinda limited .......

KingKrool

Skilled
Mar 16, 2005
Chip architect eh? Lofty goals - for which you need a PhD. They do take BE/ME people though for driver and other software development.

random2

Adept
Nov 1, 2006
My friend got an offer around an year back (hes into vlsi). He is BE, but has 5+ years in couple of biggies.

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
Jun 3, 2005
hammerhead said:
Dunno about nvidia, but I think for a chip architect you need strong VHDL. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thats right... You need to be well versed in Hardware description languages, VLSI, ASIC and related stuff. Also what ever you study or do, you cannot directly start off as an Architect.

First thing is that you need to land a job at the nVidia head quarters (or whereever the design stuff happens) and not in India because none of the design stuff happens in India. The indian office has is at most driver testing and probably a bit of development. on the hardware front, the best you can hope for to happen here is the validation part for some smaller chips (not GPU's). To land a job in nVidia hardware design section, you will first need to gather enough experience working in other companies which do work on the hardware front. The alternative is that you do some very radical research work (in the VLSI and related areas) in your PG that it gets noticed by the biggies like nVidia. But in general a PG from reputed institutes like the IIT's does help.

Once you join the industry, you will start of small or something like that and work on small jobs. After you work hard for 10~15 years, you can hope to become an Architect and involve in designing new chips.

So if you are really serious about realizing your dream, then I suggest that you take your VLSI and related subjects very seriously. You should also be well versed in general electronics and be able to cook up some neat stuff. Involve in hobby electronics projects for that.

WingZero

Skilled
Jun 24, 2007
USA
thnx guys tht was quite a commendable help n quick too.
yea i knw pg is required but in wht i meant........i wantd to knw tht.
VDHL, VLSI it is then.

KingKrool

Skilled
Mar 16, 2005
Oh, do a PhD in either comp arch or CG. Either will get you close to your goal. Note that the CG route will not make you an architect straight out, while the computer architecture PhD will put you more towards that path, you'll still be a long way off.

Chaos

Skilled
Jan 29, 2005
Lord Nemesis said:
First thing is that you need to land a job at the nVidia head quarters (or whereever the design stuff happens) and not in India because none of the design stuff happens in India. The indian office has is at most driver testing and probably a bit of development. on the hardware front, the best you can hope for to happen here is the validation part for some smaller chips (not GPU's). To land a job in nVidia hardware design section, you will first need to gather enough experience working in other companies which do work on the hardware front. The alternative is that you do some very radical research work (in the VLSI and related areas) in your PG that it gets noticed by the biggies like nVidia. But in general a PG from reputed institutes like the IIT's does help.

Of late they have been working on chip design. The 680i was completely designed at the bangalore center. Seemingly its replacement the 780i and the AMD equivalent 780a were designed in bangalore too. They are also doing A/V chips for set top boxes and the like. Recently NV acquired Portalplayer which was a big OEM for chips required in mp3 players/PMPs and the like.

So there's scope for it in india itself. However don't expect to do any graphics chips as of now. Also an undergrad degree from an unknown place won't do any good. Its best if you get a masters from a well known place.

Bhargav

Disciple
Mar 24, 2005
I had got an offer from Nvidia though, But had to give it up coz I am still pursuing my Master's ..:( for a position of device driver development

abhaybhegde

Adept
Jun 19, 2007
Will pursuing a MS course in subjects like Embedded systems,VLSI,...from mediocre institutes in India itself help getting a decent job in companies such as Nvidia,Dell,IBM..etc
I am aware that its not that easy to get a job in such companies for a high post.but still will gaining experience help me land in pure Hardware companies..by studying in India itself(not soo reputed institutes)

Regards,
Abhay

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
reminds me of myself 4 years ago. then i find out that IT cos pay bigger $$ for idiots. so i think, heck , why make your cards when you can buy em? And not that it mattered to me a lot. you get to meet a lot more chicks in IT . And Even much more in Testing :D So i sleep, play around with PHP,chat, browse TE, and get paid :D

of course there are some poor souls suffering , but i cant complain :D

wonder if you'll take the same decision when it comes to you... ready IT job or potential HW job.