Budget 90k+ [General Discussion] Where are the Professional Business Windows Laptops?

lockhrt999

Not a Fan.
Skilled
Laptops which,
  1. Have battery life longer than 10 hours
  2. Have efficient but performant 7000 series AMD CPUs (comparable to Apple M2)
  3. Are sleek but solid
  4. Have 32GB or more RAM
  5. Don't have high end graphics
  6. Have RTX, CUDA goodies
  7. Don't have RGB
  8. Don't have ugly gaming font on the keyboard
  9. Run Windows, Linux natively
So yeah, like macbook but not macbook. I was searching for such laptops (not for me to buy) but didn't found any. All I could find were inefficient intel gaming laptops who vomit heat in RGB.

Last edited:
I think only LG Gram can somewhat fulfill the requirements & it comes with 12th gen Intel only here in this price range.
LG Gram, Dell XPS, Lenovo Thinkpad are good business laptops but they are all intel exclusive. Off the charger, Intel CPUs can't match performance of Apple M series chips.

+1 and add a bullet point for linux support compatibility too.

I have some hopes from HP (I like their designs) while Lenovo seem to be milking people who want Linux laptops.

Check Dell lalitude and precision range
Some Precision models comes with Linux pre-installed, so I guess it's supported officially.
But guess they are Intel based.

I am sure I saw ThinkPad has AMD lineup, E series and thinkbook are good enough. T series are over++priced, for the features it provides

Thinkpad Z13 offers AMD hardware. Battery life is 16 hours but in reality should be 10-11 hours. Well, Apple M series are ahead and industry is in the catch up phase.
Good find. Them Z13 and Z16 are lovely. But holy crap those are expensive.

16'' Z16 32GB config coming only negligibly cheaper than comparable 16'' Macbook pro with M2 pro chip. And Z16 is carrying a gen old AMD chips.

Screenshot_2.jpg

AMD 6850H is great but I would want 7940H if buying today. AMD should understand that people spending over 2 lakhs wouldn't be interested purchasing last gen.

6850H is 6nm whereas 7940H is 4nm and hence sexy. Difference is huge. 7945HX is 5nm and isn't that power efficient(Yeah, AMD is all over the place). 7940H is a good sweet spot IMO.

Another point about RTX, Cuda added. Outside gaming, RTX and Cuda both have huge demand in professional world. Be that for 3D rendering, video editing, compositing, ML and DL (ie AI) training. Even basic zoom meeting can be improved using RTX features. A basic RTX 3050 or 4050 should be nice. I'm not a fan of 4090 in the laptop. If I do need that kind of computational power I'd be better-off, off-loading it into a cloud infra (eg AWS). Sinking 2+ lakhs into windows ecosystem is a hardsell without RTX, Cuda IMO.

And yeah, linux is also important for many professionals. That is also added.

Disclaimer, I'm not buying any laptop. This is just a general discussion.

Asus Zenbooks but they wont tick all your choices

1. Have battery life longer than 10 hours - not continuous usage I hope
  2. Have efficient but performant 7000 series AMD CPUs (comparable to Apple M2) - Yes
  3. Are sleek but solid - Yes
  4. Have 32GB or more RAM - max I have seen is 16GB soldered
  5. Don't have high end graphics - nopes
  6. Have RTX, CUDA goodies - I think its with iGPU only
  7. Don't have RGB - nopes
  8. Don't have ugly gaming font on the keyboard - nopes
  9. Run Windows, Linux natively - yes

your options open up with Intel...

i use a hp elitebook, check those out as well.
a vcore i7 with vpro will actually last 8-10 hrs on battery
amd, not sure!

your options open up with Intel...
Next year Intel is going to come out with TSMC 3nm CPUs. Those will be awesome.

Asus Zenbooks but they wont tick all your choices
While search for zenbook found this perfect machine.

Only one problem. Not available in India.

Wait a bit for OLED laptops, they are not ready for mainstream laptop use yet. My major scare is burn-in around the taskbar. Next one is that the cheaper AMOLED panels have very poor sunlight visibility. Would rather go for micro-LED with insane brightness (eg: MBP's HDR display that has 1600nits brightness) over AMOLED display.

Wait a bit for OLED laptops, they are not ready for mainstream laptop use yet. My major scare is burn-in around the taskbar. Next one is that the cheaper AMOLED panels have very poor sunlight visibility. Would rather go for micro-LED with insane brightness (eg: MBP's HDR display that has 1600nits brightness) over AMOLED display.
That is totally valid. I would never get an OLED for my computer. I'll destroy it in a week.

Valid concerns although burn-in by itself may not be the biggest one. These panels are very reflective due to the use of glossy screens. This is a bigger problem indoors where the brightness is otherwise sufficient. You'll notice nearly all current OLED models use glossy screen finishes because they are more efficient at allowing light through. Having to turn up brightness for any reason would only increase the rate of burn-in.

That said, if someone really wants an OLED then these concerns are not enough to cancel out the general quality, efficiency and response times of these displays. Overall quality cannot be reduced to a single metric like brightness or colour saturation.

Back