Gas Leakage Resistant 1.5 Ton Split AC

MadAxe

Adept
Hey guys.
I am looking for a 1.5 Ton Split AC preferably a non-inverter one since my usage is just 3-4 hours per day.

I am fed up of getting my Voltas one repaired for gas leakage every year.The leakages have been mostly on the evaporator coil and U bends. I am looking for an AC that would provide protection against gas leakage since there is an open drain nearby.

Almost all brands are providing copper condensers these days. But different brands use different 'technologies' to provide a protective layer on the condenser and evaporator.
LG calls it Ocean Black Protection.
Voltas calls it Blue Fin Protection.
Daikin calls it Anti Rust Protection Coating.
TCL calls it Titan Gold Protection.

From what I understood,
Titan Gold > Ocean Black > Blue Fin > Anti Rust Protection

Most brands have stopped manufacturing non-inverter Split ACs and there are hardly any good ones available in the market so I am forced to go with Inverter one.

I have the following 3 options:
1. Go for TCL and hope for the best. Have never bought a TCL product in my life.
2. Go for LG which has good after sales service but in case of gas leakage, I would be charged for repair and gas filling.
3. Go for any other brand like Daikin or Voltas and opt for a third party extended warranty. Could not find any such extended warranty plan from a reputed provider.
4. Any other option that I have not thought of.

Help me out in making the best decision. Need your valuable suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Do you live on a coastal area/riverside/open drain etc? These tend to cause rapid corrosion - you may continue to face this even after you switch. Check with your neighbours what they have had luck with ?
I have 3 voltas AC's, bought in 2015, 2016 and 2021 and they have all been running fine, with the 2015 one needing a refill in 2022, and the 2016 one needed a refill after being kept in storage for 4 years and bought out of storage in 2020

I'm in Delhi and there's a open drain within 1km of my area. I bought 2 Blue star ACs in 2020 and 2021 respectively. Exactly same model but older is non-inverter and 2021 model is inverter.
Due to the open drain the newer one failed this year and had a leakage problem. Thankfully I had a extended warranty plan from OnSiteGo which covered the complete charges of the repair + gas refill.
This warranty plan was sold to me by the shop only along with the purchase of the AC. I think it cost me near about 3K INR for 2 years of coverage past brand warranty.

So I still have that until next year. It also comes with 2 Maintenance services which you can avail anytime.

Before I had these ACs, I owned an LG AC which was bought in 2017, failed miserably within 2 years and no amount of repair could fix it. The cooling went to shit so had to sell it as scrap. Even all repair people said it's better to scarp it. Also had a split from Voltas, that was also repaired a lot and in 2021 the compressor gave up after a leakage repair. Now this year bought a Panasonic split AC with blue coating on coils/bends, hopefully it serves better.

So in my opinion, it really depends on your luck and area but if you have an open drain problem, DO get extended warranty from anywhere which covers leakage and gas charges too.
My experience with OnSiteGo has been good.

PS: there's no such thing as leakage-proof. With time it will corrode sooner or later. You can get the coils coated with aftermarket HVAC sprays as well. I've done this on all my ACs now.

Thankfully I had a extended warranty plan from OnSiteGo which covered the complete charges of the repair + gas refill.
The repairs are done by third party guys or the AC brand guys? Say while repairing if the third party guys mess up an important component of the AC like PCB or condenser what happens then? Where do they source the OEM part from?
I think it cost me near about 3K INR for 2 years of coverage past brand warranty.
This is post brand warranty elapses. During warranty, the repairs are done by the brand and the brand charges for repair and gas filling right?
PS: there's no such thing as leakage-proof. With time it will corrode sooner or later.
By leakage proof, I meant the best protection against gas leakages. What would be the correct term for it?
You can get the coils coated with aftermarket HVAC sprays as well. I've done this on all my ACs now.
Would definitely be doing this. Do tell which HVAC spray you are using.

The repairs are done by third party guys or the AC brand guys? Say while repairing if the third party guys mess up an important component of the AC like PCB or condenser what happens then? Where do they source the OEM part from?

This is post brand warranty elapses. During warranty, the repairs are done by the brand and the brand charges for repair and gas filling right?

By leakage proof, I meant the best protection against gas leakages. What would be the correct term for it?

Would definitely be doing this. Do tell which HVAC spray you are using.
Third party. It's their responsibility to fix it as they are appointed by onsitego.
Yes, during manufacturer warranty, brand is responsible and everything as per brand policy.
Corrosion resistant.
I used this: https://www.amazon.in/OXYCOATS-Blue-Fin-Spray-Coating/dp/B07Q423C7Y
Unfortunately Out of stock right now.

Last edited:
What do you guys mean by open drain which is several kms away from your house? And why would it make your AC to leak gas?

High moisture and corrosive gas in air leads to faster corrosion of copper.
I've had this issue back in 2015 in mayur Vihar phase 3 in Delhi, costed me 7k bucks total on repairs for a 1.5 ton LG window AC when it failed twice within 3 months of summer period.
I wasn't aware of why the leakage and corrosion keeps happening until someone told me about a canal nearby with industrial waste water. Got rid of that AC after that.

Got rid of that AC after that.
What did you end up buying then?

Also guys does it make sense to buy inverter AC for drawing room where the temperature would never get constant and the inverter AC would end up acting as a non inverter AC. Wouldn't it be less efficient than non inverter one in this case.

Which extended warranty plan would you suggest?
atleast 2 years, most of them covers servicing as well as repair and gas refill but will depend on who you get it from.
check before you buy tho as they might not include Condenser & Evaporator Coils under warranty

Also guys does it make sense to buy inverter AC for drawing room where the temperature would never get constant
This is something I have to ask again. Why would temperature not remain constant in drawing room? is that because it doesn't have doors to other rooms?

Hey guys.
I am looking for a 1.5 Ton Split AC preferably a non-inverter one since my usage is just 3-4 hours per day.

I am fed up of getting my Voltas one repaired for gas leakage every year.The leakages have been mostly on the evaporator coil and U bends. I am looking for an AC that would provide protection against gas leakage since there is an open drain nearby.

Almost all brands are providing copper condensers these days. But different brands use different 'technologies' to provide a protective layer on the condenser and evaporator.
LG calls it Ocean Black Protection.
Voltas calls it Blue Fin Protection.
Daikin calls it Anti Rust Protection Coating.
TCL calls it Titan Gold Protection.

From what I understood,
Titan Gold > Ocean Black > Blue Fin > Anti Rust Protection

Most brands have stopped manufacturing non-inverter Split ACs and there are hardly any good ones available in the market so I am forced to go with Inverter one.

I have the following 3 options:
1. Go for TCL and hope for the best. Have never bought a TCL product in my life.
2. Go for LG which has good after sales service but in case of gas leakage, I would be charged for repair and gas filling.
3. Go for any other brand like Daikin or Voltas and opt for a third party extended warranty. Could not find any such extended warranty plan from a reputed provider.
4. Any other option that I have not thought of.

Help me out in making the best decision. Need your valuable suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Just curious - are you in Delhi NCR ? I'm in Noida and have the exact same issue. Need to get coils either repaired or changed every damn year, costing 11k to 16k in repairs for 2 window ACs yearly.
Pain in the ass.

Window AC would be a long term solution.
Care to explain how? I mean even they have fins, copper tubes and come in contact with outside air loaded with a corrosive component from open drains.
I know that WAC's have less issues in the long run. I have seen my friends WAcmC from Ogeneral brought 20+ years and still going strong , except it costs a bomb on electric consumption.

@MadAxe I forgot to mention, I coated my LG AC with this one after getting it Installed.
Action Clear Rust Proofing Coating Spray Rust for All Metals for Cabinets, Coils & P.C Boards https://amzn.eu/d/cW2sJNQ

Back