Gaming PC or modded XBox 360 ?

bombaybaba

Adept
Dec 2, 2006
Hi guys
Caught in a dilemma.

Should I go for a gaming PC (estimated price by me about 25k for just new SLI mobo & 1 GPU & RAM ; will go for second GPU later in 3 months) ?

Or get a modded XBOX 360 for 25k with "cough cough" backup support ? Want HDMI o/p on it.

Screen to be connected is a 32 " Sony Bravia LCD TV.

To Do or Not To Do !!! What To Do ?????

PS - currently happy with my 6600 GT for playing TF2 (i play as SitH or Shaitan Ka Chumma mostly on gold rush)

sourcewop

Adept
Aug 25, 2007
Gulbarga
Xbox 360 infested with RROD and ur getting it modded so u cant get it replaced uill end up in repairing all the time better go for a gaming rig or ps3

ujar

Recruit
May 9, 2008
Kolkata
I think, RROD is now fixed in newer xbox 360s and also there are no hacks available for PS3 to play backup games...

octave

Adept
Oct 18, 2005
+1 for an unmodded PS3/xbox 360 elite(not available). So the PS3 is the only console available with a hdmi port.

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
Essentially it comes down to 2 things

1) free time

2) controller

are you working , have no time , just want to come home sloshed from work , play, then go to sleep, and dont think that a mouse + pad is the key to a good game, and comfortable playing with a controller ? then console

if you are in college /have lots of time ,can spend a lot of time tweaking your system to get the best gaming experience, and think that The MX 518 is among the finest instruments man ever designed , play with low sensitivity, and get a rush when the announcer goes "HEADSHOT" in UT , as opposed to a regular kill? - gaming PC for you

if you arent sure , get a controller and play around with it on your current PC. If you feel comfortable with it , then :)

sharmapu

Adept
Dec 26, 2006
Man!! thats what they call it "a smooth talk........"

greenhorn said:
Essentially it comes down to 2 things
1) free time
2) controller

are you working , have no time , just want to come home sloshed from work , play, then go to sleep, and dont think that a mouse + pad is the key to a good game, and comfortable playing with a controller ? then console

if you are in college /have lots of time ,can spend a lot of time tweaking your system to get the best gaming experience, and think that The MX 518 is among the finest instruments man ever designed , play with low sensitivity, and get a rush when the announcer goes "HEADSHOT" in UT , as opposed to a regular kill? - gaming PC for you

if you arent sure , get a controller and play around with it on your current PC. If you feel comfortable with it , then :)

arnold

Disciple
Jan 7, 2006
1) goin for a moded 360 gives u no harware warranty..also prone to RROD

2) PS3 giid choice but games very expensive on the higer side of Rs2000 ..u can t play pirated games.

3) If u are satisfied with 720p gaming then a gaming PC can be made in around 25k with which u can have a good gaming exp...on the down side less games on PC as compared to consoles..But if u are a MMORPG and FPS fan den PC is the one to get.

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
Jun 3, 2005
ujar said:
I think, RROD is now fixed in newer xbox 360s

Incorrect info...:no: RROD has not been fixed. Its still prevalent in all models of XBOX 360 including ones with the new Falcon core. I would not recommend a modded XBOX 360 unless you are rich enough to not care if the unit blows. PS3 has is own share of problems. Get either console with warranty.

Anyway bombaybaba,

First what are your priorities? If your needs are only gaming and 25k is your absolute budget, then get a console, but if your needs include things other than gaming, then PC will be the better idea. But do note that gaming on a 25k PC will not be that great. Also do note that none of the consoles can act as a full fledged replacement for PC albeit a 25k one though many fanbois seem to try to convince people otherwise. The modern console is just a little more than a gaming machine.

amigoatul

Adept
May 30, 2006
He mentioned that the 25k for a gaming rig will be used only on an SLI ready mobo, a video card and RAM, presumably he has the rest of the setup.

So considering the RRoD issue with the X360, better upgrade ur gaming rig coz if the modded X360 console craps out, u r totally screwed but then, this console has an awesome lineup of games and the PS3 needs original discs which are insanely priced and still doesnt have a decent games catalogue yet.. So best thing to do is to buy a good DX10 video card,a decent mobo and RAM.

But if u can afford to buy original games, then buying an original X360 wud be better.

Bluffmaster

Skilled
Jan 4, 2006
I Guess you already have a PC , you already have a 6600GT, i don't see any point in why you should invest 25k in a "Gaming Rig".You ain't gonna get a top end gaming rig in your budget anyways.

Do yourself a favor and get an original X360 or a PS3 , yes the game titles are costly but atleast you wont have to be worried about your console screwing up. You can even mod your console in future when some stable modchips are released. Also you already have a 32 LCD , make full use of it and enjoy gaming like never before :D

bombaybaba

Adept
Dec 2, 2006
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

The 25k would be only for the SLI Mobo & GPU & 2 GB Ram ( as i have 2 GB already ; and anyway ram is cheap!!!) The rest of the setup is ready with C2D Proccy , CM cabinet, 4 fans, screen ready.

My choice for GPU is 8800 GT (cost around 13k) Asus P5N D mobo (<10k).

More suggestions welcome.

As for the consoles , I guess i would wait for some time to get better idea about them & then maybe go for them in later part of year.

Finding time to play games ! well thats a bit tough but who can stay away from being a spy & backstabbing ppl. LOL.

ujar

Recruit
May 9, 2008
Kolkata
Lord Nemesis said:
Incorrect info...:no: RROD has not been fixed. Its still prevalent in all models of XBOX 360 including ones with the new Falcon core. I would not recommend a modded XBOX 360 unless you are rich enough to not care if the unit blows. PS3 has is own share of problems. Get either console with warranty.

If its true then it would be better that u should go with Abit or Gigabyte P35 series board, 2 or 4Gb RAM, Logitech MX518 mouse. Don't go for Sli because there are not much games that supports sli:hap5: , better go with 'high end' gfx like nvidia 98/88 series or 'high-mid end' like 9600GT. :hap2:

And the last and foremost thing is that u can always play *cough*backup games*cough* on the above 25k budget...:eek:hyeah:

bombaybaba

Adept
Dec 2, 2006
My choice for GPU is 8800 GT or 9600 (cost around 13k) Asus P5N D mobo (<10k).

Should I go for 9600 as i believe its DX10 ready ?

More suggestions welcome.

The games I want play are -

1-crysis

2-bioshock

3-race driver grid

4-Splinter cell series

5-COD 4

6-Assassins creed

7-turok

8-mass effect

9-UT3

10-rainbow SIX

11-Lost planet

12-Lego Indiana jones

13-orange box games

14-virtua tennis 3

15-latest brian lara

16-cant wait for the new POP

TechHead

ex-Mod
Mar 19, 2005
^LOL! Compared the two? There's a reason the GSO is cheaper than the 8800GT... hint, it ain't 'cos it's faster!

ujar

Recruit
May 9, 2008
Kolkata
All 8 and 9 series cards are dx10 ready...
Ok, the truth is 9600GT is more superior than 9600GSO and 8800GS but performs less than 8800GT. 9600GT's price is less than 8800GT. 9600GT can play almost all games at high settings on 17" and 19" monitors and at high-med settings on 20" and 22" while 8800GT can play all the games at high settings on all monitors and high-med settings on 24".

If u really going for a sli board then go for XFX or EVGA, these boards are made as referred by nvidia, don't go for Asus with nvidia chipsets, they don't perform well...Go for XFX and EVGA 780i

But as I said earlier, most games don't use sli...