Budget 31-40k Gaming CPU config suggestions needed

nitrous

Disciple
Hi guys,
I'm in the UK currently and need a desktop for gaming and Adobe lightroom work mainly. I have a low budget and I do not know whether to go with Intel or AMD. I would like a system thats quite future proof which is why I'm considering a mobo with usb3.0 and SATA 6gb/s.
I'm thinking about the Phenom II X4 965 BE because there's a good deal on amazon UK for 78 quid. (
AMD HDZ965FBGMBOX Phenom II X4 965 - 3.4 Ghz AM3 Black Edition CPU, Retail Packaged: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories )
Similarly, the MSI 6850 is going for around 85 quid, at the moment. I do intend to crossfire in the future for the sake of future titles.
I've just used these components as a baseline, due to my budget. Willing to consider other suggestions.

Not buying a fancy case as I intend to carry these components back to India when I travel.

1. Q: What is your budget?
    • 32K for just the CPU w/o case, HDD
  2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

None
  3. N.A.

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

• CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard

• GPU - MSI R6850
    • 2x 4GB DDR3 1333 Memory
    • Cheap and cheerful case
    • Xonar Essence STX sound card - already purchased
  5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, will upgrade the following within 1/2 years
    • Graphics card to crossfire.

• RAM - 2X4GB DDR3 1333 (if its necessary)
    • SSD

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • UK
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No, It's geographically challenging. I am willing to purchase it on eBAY UK.
  8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Adobe Lightroom - RAW photo editing
    • Listening to music with the Essence sound card.
  9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    None.

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • FPS (BF3, MW2)- mid to high settings
    • Racing - ditto
  11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    Plan to purchase a 24"/27" LED (IPS if I can afford)
    1. Gaming - mid-hi
    2. Desktop - mid-hi
  12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes/No
    Probably in the future, if power doesn't suffice.

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit
    • Linux - pclinux/ubuntu

I am not aware of pricing in the UK so I will provide you with a configuration, you can tell us by how much we are overshooting the same --

Intel Core i5 3550
Intel DH77KC
G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x2
AMD HD 7850 OR nVidia GTX 670 [if you can find the nVidia card price palatable, then go for it over the AMD card]
Crucial M4 120GB [primary drive / boot drive]
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB [secondary drive / dump drive]
Corsair TX 550M [a basic 550W modular SMPS, more than enough for your situation]
NZXT Gamma [come to India and add some 120mm fans to keep cool]

Here are the reasons for why I have suggested you the above configuration --
  • Intel Ivy-Bridge processors maul their AMD counterparts, also the AMD Phenom Il line of processors is EoL now so no point investing in them. A benchmark run between the Core i5 2500k and AMD Phenom IIx4 965.
  • same is the case with your graphics card, here is benchmark run between the AMD HD 7850 and HD 6850.
  • review for the Corsair TX 550M SMPS.

Hope this help, Cheerio!!

And the price for all this product is so cheap.
1. Intel Core i5 2400 Quad Core Processor ~ Rs. 10,875
2. Intel Desktop Motherboard DH67BL ~ Rs. 5,627
3. CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10 ~ Rs. 3,707/- or Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB CML8GX3M2A1333C9 ~ Rs. 2,871/- or G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x2 1600MHz modules ~3400/-
4. Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB ~5500/-
5. Seasonic S12II 520W ~3800/-
6. NZXT Gamma ~ 2300/-
7. Sapphire HD 7850 2GB ~15000/-

Hope this help.

Cheers.

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

@nitrous Mate,
Now you can see the configuration suggested by me and ALPHA17. So which ever you got the best price in UK then go for it.

Hope this help.

Cheers.

TX550M now that's a new one,Haven't yet released in india.Looks like an addition to VX550W @Mac.rock7 when the 3rd generation lineup is available it's better to go with it.
I am not aware of pricing in the UK so I will provide you with a configuration, you can tell us by how much we are overshooting the same --

Intel Core i5 3550
Intel DH77KC
G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x2
AMD HD 7850 OR nVidia GTX 670 [if you can find the nVidia card price palatable, then go for it over the AMD card]
Crucial M4 120GB [primary drive / boot drive]
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB [secondary drive / dump drive]
Corsair TX 550M [a basic 550W modular SMPS, more than enough for your situation]
NZXT Gamma [come to India and add some 120mm fans to keep cool]

Here are the reasons for why I have suggested you the above configuration --
  • Intel Ivy-Bridge processors maul their AMD counterparts, also the AMD Phenom Il line of processors is EoL now so no point investing in them. A benchmark run between the Core i5 2500k and AMD Phenom IIx4 965.
  • same is the case with your graphics card, here is benchmark run between the AMD HD 7850 and HD 6850.
  • review for the Corsair TX 550M SMPS.

Hope this help, Cheerio!!

Last edited by a moderator:
TX550M now that's a new one,Haven't yet released in india.Looks like an addition to VX550W @Mac.rock7 when the 3rd generation lineup is available it's better to go with it.

He is buying all these components in the UK, why do you think I have not put the respective prices?

Yes the TX 550M is a replacement for the VX 550W.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
I'm looking for the best bang for the buck. The intel processors you've suggested cost 160 and 143 while the phenom 965be costs just half at 78 quid.
The dh67bl and the dh77kc boards cost 73 and 95 quid and the asus m5a97 for the amd costs just 67 pounds.
alpha said:
Mate, the 7850 costs twice as much as a 6850 hd(85) at 160 pounds. And the nvidia 670 costs 300.
As it costs the same, will a single 7850HD be as fast as two 6850s crossfired?

The AMD CPU+mobo+graphics card costs just 230 combined, whereas going the intel way would cost that much for the processor and mobo alone!
Is the price difference this much in India as well?
Will the performance difference between the AMD and Intel configs on this thread be so VAST?

I'm getting the RAM, PSU, HDD and SSD that you've suggested. Thank you.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
[/B]As it costs the same, will a single 7850HD be as fast as two 6850s crossfired?

The AMD CPU+mobo+graphics card costs just 230 combined, whereas going the intel way would cost that much for the processor and mobo alone!

Will the performance difference between the AMD and Intel configs on this thread be so VAST?

I'm getting the RAM, PSU, HDD and SSD that you've suggested. Thank you.

The AMD Phenom II family of processors has been EoL-ed by AMD in favour of the purportedly superior FX-**** processors for the past ~1 year.

As for the performance gap, check here for a benchmark run between the Intel Core i5 2500k and an AMD Phenom IIx4 965. This is the gap with a Generation II Core i5 processor, the Generation III Core i5 3550 I have recommended increases the lead by another ~5 --> 10%.

Maybe the AMD set-up is cheaper on the whole but, it does not ameliorate the fact that if you are getting a brand new system Intel is the way to go. AMD's overall performance is to anaemic to recommend it for a brand new "performance" oriented RIG.

AMD HD 7850 cannot quite match the HD 6850 CrossFire but again the power consumption of the latter will be enough to put the veracity of the setup in a conundrum. Here is the performance of the cards head-to-head. Also note with the newer Graphics Core Next architecture the GPGPU performance of the HD 7*** series cards is ahead of the HD 6*** and previous generation cards by AMD.

In India the SMPS I have listed will not be available, the SSD listed will not be available. Rest of the components are priced higher on the whole.

So in the end I have laid the facts in front of you, the final choice is yours. Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

How about a used C2Q 6600 or higher?

Honestly, get a used Nehalem / Lynnfield [Ist Generation Core series processors] OR Sandy-Bridge [IInd Generation Core series processors]. Anything below that is redundant keeping the current levels of performance in mind.

The best course of action in my opinion is to wait for cheaper iterations of Ivy-Bridge to release in the market [they will release around Mid-June in the UK, US and general western diaspora] and go for those.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

If you're going to overclock then with i5 3570K go for Asus P8Z77-V-14k OR Asus P8Z77M-Pro-12.k minimum,If no oveclocking then go for the rig which @ALPHA17 has posted.
I've decided on the i5 3570k.
Wondering which mobo to choose. For my requirements, how would this gigabyte work?

I've decided on the i5 3570k.
Wondering which mobo to choose. For my requirements, how would this gigabyte work?

Okay that is a good processor and should be handy for the next ~4 years easy [depending on what you plan to do]. Also are you over-clocking because if you are not then it will be better you go for the cheaper Core i5 3550.

This will also bump your motherboard needs to the cheaper H77 chipset.

About your query pertaining to the GIGABYTE motherboard, I would say avoid it because --
  • the contemporary model may not be available in India, so upon RMA you are in a pickle.
  • ASUS UEFI BIOS is the best in the market, GIGABYTE Touch BIOS and 3D BIOS cannot hold a candle to the same.
  • the ASUS equivalent to this motherboard that you have short-listed is the ASUS P8Z77-V / P8Z77M-PRO.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

That Gigabyte board looks fine, is full ATX, and the pricing is good value.
How a UEFI BIOS looks is just an extra feature, and not a deal breaker. Unless you are a massive BIOS tweaker, I doubt you will even look into the BIOS.

[*] the contemporary model may not be available in India, so upon RMA you are in a pickle.
Why should a good quality motherboard fail and need RMA? I have never RMA'd a board in my life!
Said it in the HX650 thread, will say it again .. As a consumer you should receive an equal or better product.
Bangalore must have terrible RMA policies.

Anyway, I don't think Gigabyte or Asus offer international warranty on their boards, so its a moot point.

How a UEFI BIOS looks is just an extra feature, and not a deal breaker. Unless you are a massive BIOS tweaker, I doubt you will even look into the BIOS.

Why should a good quality motherboard fail and need RMA? I have never RMA'd a board in my life!

Bangalore must have terrible RMA policies.

UEFI does display some important information, for which a BIOS n00b like me doesn't need to dig around a lot. Also if any issues are out of specifications OR basically alarming the BIOS, UEFI highlights them / flags them appropriately. We had a thread like this in the PC Peripherals section pertaining to a Seasonic SS500W SMPS and ASUS motherboard; I did not follow that thread so lack the details, will tag it here.

Another issue with GIGABYTE motherboards is consistency in availability; half the time models that are quoted here on TE are not available anywhere apart from Mumbai and online store-fronts. That is why I do not recommend the same as easily as ASUS for RIG build here.

Well I will just say that you are extremely lucky then friend, I have seen my fair share of RMA's; my MSi graphics card for example [second thread here], friends GIGABYTE X58A-UD3R got replaced by a brand new X58A-UD5P after three unsuccessful RMA's. It is a painful process and your system becomes a brick box whilst your motherboard is in for RMA.

GIGABYTE India has a good after sales network and if it took them ~3 unsuccessful / unsatisfactory runs to get my motherboard replaced, I do not even want to talk what Rashi Peripherals can do to you. I have experience RMA-ing a LOGITECH G300 from them in Delhi [a month back] and let me tell you it was painful.

I am not based in Bangalore anymore Jarod; I shifted to Delhi a few months back. And before you start descrying Bangalore for having fail RMA procedures read Post #19 in this thread.

As I said before
Anyway, I don't think Gigabyte or Asus offer international warranty on their boards, so its a moot point.
I am under the impression nitrous is getting his board from abroad, so a reliable good quality board should be his priority, not the RMA aspect.

I read the Asus UEFI thread, and the user seemed annoyed with his BIOS throwing him warnings.
Again, UEFI is a feature, but I am shocked you are recommending against a motherboard because it has a less flashy BIOS!

I have this motherboard M4A785TD-V EVO has been going good for the past 2[SUP]1[/SUP]/[SUB]2[/SUB] years *touchwood*. No BSOD's, no freeze-ups and nothing random happening; that is until I start over-clocking, even then the motherboard is pretty stable uptill ~4.0GHz. After that everything depends on how I tweak using the BIOS and AMD Overdrive.

That said plenty of people can vouch for ASUS motherboards; even GIGABYTE are good [although I have never used owned one personally]. Whichever GIGABYTE motherboard I have used in my friends RIG builds, they seem to have really iffy build quality OR some other issue, case in point --

GIGABYTE GA-790XTA UD4 -- when we were swapping the stock AMD HSF for a Hyper 212+; the CPU came out stuck to the stock HSF, the CPU restrainer had a crack.

The above incident happened with a fellow member and friend tagging him here-- @freeze.

X58A-UD3R -- A very value for money X58 chipset released late in India, a college mate bought, there is a widely documented Audio controller issue with this motherboard; he had to go through 3 RMA filings and the associated tamasha before GIGABYTE Bangalore handed him a X58A-UD5P.

H55-UD2H -- I bought this for a friend. The motherboard had an issue with Corsair memory modules [XMS3 1600MHz], so had to use cheap Transcend 1333MHz stick.

No company is without issues, we can all be a like this and argue till Kingdom Come and none will be the wiser.

I am under the impression nitrous is getting his board from abroad, so a reliable good quality board should be his priority, not the RMA aspect.

Again, UEFI is a feature, but I am shocked you are recommending against a motherboard because it has a less flashy BIOS!

That is why my first recommendation had also listed the Intel DH77KC, a perfectly fine motherboard; concerning OP's requirements and RMA is also possible.

You are taking it that way.

Since the launch of the X58 GIGABYTE has faced flak on certain aspects of its common motherboards, notable ones which I have faced and experienced --
  • lack of compatibility with certain RAM modules, notably Corsair XMS3 modules [faced this with a H55 based motherboard].
  • availability, in the day of Sandy-Bridge and Ivy-Bridge I suddenly see a glut in GIGABYTE X58 based motherboards; what were they doing in warehouses? Most motherboards that become popular recommendations in Tech-circles are quickly found to be missing from the market.
  • multiple revisions have hit the market outside India, whilst here we still earlier revisions.

I have this motherboard M4A785TD-V EVO has been going good for the past 2[SUP]1[/SUP]/[SUB]2[/SUB] years *touchwood*. No BSOD's, no freeze-ups and nothing random happening; that is until I start over-clocking, even then the motherboard is pretty stable uptill ~4.0GHz. After that everything depends on how I tweak using the BIOS and AMD Overdrive.

That said plenty of people can vouch for ASUS motherboards; even GIGABYTE are good [although I have never used owned one personally]. Whichever GIGABYTE motherboard I have used in my friends RIG builds, they seem to have really iffy build quality OR some other issue, case in point --

GIGABYTE GA-790XTA UD4 -- when we were swapping the stock AMD HSF for a Hyper 212+; the CPU came out stuck to the stock HSF, the CPU restrainer had a crack.

The above incident happened with a fellow member and friend tagging him here-- freeze.

X58A-UD3R -- A very value for money X58 chipset released late in India, a college mate bought, there is a widely documented Audio controller issue with this motherboard; he had to go through 3 RMA filings and the associated tamasha before GIGABYTE Bangalore handed him a X58A-UD5P.

H55-UD2H -- I bought this for a friend. The motherboard had an issue with Corsair memory modules [XMS3 1600MHz], so had to use cheap Transcend 1333MHz stick.

No company is without issues, we can all be a like this and argue till Kingdom Come and none will be the wiser.

That is why my first recommendation had also listed the Intel DH77KC, a perfectly fine motherboard; concerning OP's requirements and RMA is also possible.

You are taking it that way.

Since the launch of the X58 GIGABYTE has faced flak on certain aspects of its common motherboards, notable ones which I have faced and experienced --
  • lack of compatibility with certain RAM modules, notably Corsair XMS3 modules [faced this with a H55 based motherboard].
  • availability, in the day of Sandy-Bridge and Ivy-Bridge I suddenly see a glut in GIGABYTE X58 based motherboards; what were they doing in warehouses? Most motherboards that become popular recommendations in Tech-circles are quickly found to be missing from the market.
  • multiple revisions have hit the market outside India, whilst here we still earlier revisions.

Ok Alpha17 I decided to take the risk to buy a Asus board :)
I am going to ask some more ques about ram & psu look into my thread

Ok Alpha17 I decided to take the risk to buy a Asus board :)

If you think it's a risk to buy Asus mob then go for some other one like gigabyte and Asrock Mob. Even @ALPHA17 didn't want you to take a risk for your mob. He only give you the example of his mob that work fine for him.

Hope this help.

Cheers.

Back