Galaxy R vs Optimus 2X - Which is a better buy?

rtkomar

Adept
http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3598&idPhone2=3967

So the comparison of specifications can be seen in the above mentioned link. Both cost about 19k.

Here are the major differences.

First Galaxy R then Optimus 2X
  • 1 GB RAM vs 512 MB RAM
  • SLCD 4.2 inch screen vs IPS LCD 4 inch screen
  • 5 MP, 720p camera vs 8 MP, 1080p camera
  • Scratch-resistant glass vs Gorilla Glass
  • Samsung Service and Support vs LG Service and Support

If we just look at the specifications, Optimus 2X definitely looks better on paper, save for the RAM. But is it really better than Galaxy R? For e.g., LG's service and support is not as good as Samsung's and their phones always have one or the other problem (As far as I have seen).

1080p video of Optimus 2X is no better than 720p video of Galaxy S according to GSMArena and Galaxy R has same camera module as that of Galaxy S.

Now more RAM might mean that Galaxy R performs better than Optimus 2X.

So the users of these phones, please let me know your opinion. It would be very much helpful for me to decide which will be my next phone.

I own a Galaxy R and its damn good.Haven't compared it with O2x. But 512 RAM will not be enough. The user available RAM would be around 350.

Camera is damn good on SGR.The phone feels great on hands with perfect curves on the edge.

If you want developer support and wont be using the stock ROM then go for Optimus 2x otherwise Galaxy R is a better choice.

What do you mean by 'If I want developer support'? Does LG get better Developer support?

I own a Galaxy R and its damn good.Haven't compared it with O2x. But 512 RAM will not be enough. The user available RAM would be around 350.

Camera is damn good on SGR.The phone feels great on hands with perfect curves on the edge.

Cool.. How is the screen? Sunlight legibility? Battery Life?

I have a O2x and my brother has a SGR never faced any out of ram issues on mine

What do you mean by 'If I want developer support'? Does LG get better Developer support?

I meant if you are into custom ROMS and wont use stock ROMS then o2x is a better option as it has got very good developer support at xda. So you have many good custom ROMS for o2x and very few for SGR.

But if you want to stay on stock ROM SGR is a better choice.

No, its not that LG in general has better developer support or Samsung has better, rather developers tend to favor certain phones depending on their potential as well as their popularity, to make custom roms and other enhancements for them.

For eg, the Samsung Galaxy S has awesome developer support while the newer Galaxy S Plus has poor support.

You can just head over to xda developers to get a good picture.

But if you are not going to tinker so much, dont bother, Galaxy R would make a good choice.

Sunlight visibilty is quite good.Just keep the brightness in auto mode.

Battery life is very good.battery drains quickly if used continuosly on 3G mode.

S2 has more saturated screen compared to SGR.

Kept Brightness in Auto!! No problems in direct sunlight too..!!

Cam is great.!!

Battery life is just awesome!!! (Haven't charged since yesterday morn. Still at 65%)..

I am on 2.3.5 , and with ICS update coming Soon, I think R is one helluva Device!!

Hmm.. Thanks Guys (and Gals?)..

Actually I am not in such a hurry.. I could wait for 15 more days to see if O2X will be restocked. But many of you are suggesting Galaxy R.. So right now will keep it as my first choice..

And the review of Galaxy R will be up in GSMArena in a day or two.. So it might help a bit more to decide..

If you people have any other suggestion you are always welcome..
<

Hmm.. Thanks Guys (and Gals?)..

Actually I am not in such a hurry.. I could wait for 15 more days to see if O2X will be restocked. But many of you are suggesting Galaxy R.. So right now will keep it as my first choice..

And the review of Galaxy R will be up in GSMArena in a day or two.. So it might help a bit more to decide..

If you people have any other suggestion you are always welcome..
<

RAM matters in android and user available RAM is only 724 on 1GB. Should be only about 350 on 512.If you intend to play high end game phone then SGR is the way to go.

RAM matters in android and user available RAM is only 724 on 1GB. Should be only about 350 on 512.If you intend to play high end game phone then SGR is the way to go.

I think gaming will be great on O2X due to Nvidia tegra 2 processor & O2X will get a ICS update in the future
<
SGR on the other hand looks better & has good looking UI too theortically O2X has a 8 mp cam & full hd 1080p recording & SGR has a 5 mp cam with 720p hd recording but performance wise i think SGR cam is better than lg
<
what say guys ?

No, I dont intend to play high end games on the phone. Actually I might pass on this to my dad after a month or two. He normally listens to lot of old albums, videos and likes to play puzzle games
<
apart from calling that is. I have narrowed down on these phones because I need a bigger screen and good performance. And also it would be great if the phone has better antennas as the network coverage in my native is not good. How are O2X and Galaxy R in this regard?

Hmm, It seems O2X's 8MP stills are great but 1080p video is not so (it stores them in .3gp format
<
).

The main thing is as far as I have seen, LG handsets have way more problems than that of Samsung. But I dont think O2X had that many.

I heard that many face overheating and freezing issues with O:2X, even with custom ROMs. This is something to do with the design and cannot be fixed using software updates. I did a bit of search on the internet and it turned out to be true.

I would close my eyes and go with Galaxy R.

I heard that many face overheating and freezing issues with O:2X, even with custom ROMs. This is something to do with the design and cannot be fixed using software updates. I did a bit of search on the internet and it turned out to be true.

I would close my eyes and go with Galaxy R.

Didnt face anything like that
<

Still i feel SGR would be a better choice for the OP.

Back