Graphic Cards G71 is Nvidia's next generation high end chip

Blade_Runner

Skilled
G71 is Nvidia's next generation high end chip

32 pipes at 90 nanometres

IT HAPPENS every four months. Nvidia set the new trend of releasing its new top end card every four months and it's not going to stop now. It just released its ghost Geforce 7800 GTX 512 product and the demand for it is incredible. A lot of people want it as it’s the fastest card around for Yule but you just can not get any.

G71 will end up with a new Geforce name, new number and probably GTX suffix but it's still too early to talk about the final name. It will have a very fast core, we still don’t know the number but it should be around 700MHz and it's obviously paired with super fast memory. The memory is not the problem and even Samsung memory running at 1700 MHz+ is not in tight supply.

The chip will have 32 pipelines and it's obviously faster than just arrived and not so available Geforce 7800 GTX 512 cards. It's expected in early February and Nvidia is already playing with these cards.

Nvidia is working hard on its 90 nanometre process and its investors are really concerned about it. We figure out that mobile part based around G72 chip is 90 nanometre or at least should be based on that, and Nvidia is in volume production with its C51 chipsets, also 90 nanometre based.

This card is meant to fight R580 ATI's new high end chip that is scheduled for a similar time. µ

Source

Blade_Runner said:
G71 is Nvidia's next generation high end chip[/B
32 pipes at 90 nanometres
Source

Bloomin hell.....:p I thought the GTX 512 and the ATI X1800XT were fast...
what's ATI countering this with.....??XTPE or a newer part

Any plans to add more PP's to ATI too??

^ Like its mentioned in the article.. ATI will counter with its R580 parts !

And no, ATI will use 16 pipelines for the R580 too, though they seem to have adopted a new approach on pipelines - more work will be done by each pipeline, i myself am not sure exactly what the new scheme is. But basically number of pipelines cannot be seen as an indicator of performance anymore according to ATI.

^^ Yep, they are making the chips much more "intelligent" by placing an ondie memory controller. In any case it all boils down to Price : Performance.

Back