Full HD Projector for living room

fragpic

Adept
I have shifted to a new house and as the living room is large our old 32" Bravia has become too small.
Now I was thinking about upgrading to a Samsung 7 Series 55" LED,but one of my friend suggested me to get a projector.
Now I have a budget of 1 lakh(can stretch a bit) to set up the projector(including ceiling mount and screen)
I will be connecting it to a HD STB and also a WD TV.

So please suggest me good projectors which are suitable for normal tv and also for HD movies.
I found this Mitsubishi HC-4000

Pana, Optoma, Epson and infocus all are good, buy which suits your budget. In this budget u should be able to get a Full HD 3d projector.

don't forget to take into consideration about 3LCD and DLP projectors..
the quality is slightly similar.. but in 3LCD the quality may degrade with time.. also the lifespan is lesser than that of DLP.
the cost of replacing the lamp is very high. so there could be more recurring expenses in projectors than that of TV.

PS: I have a tv setup in the living room. but for movies I use home theater setup. as its occasional. I think projector setup won't last long for the purpose of watching tv. (someone correct if I'm wrong)

Pana, Optoma, Epson and infocus all are good, buy which suits your budget. In this budget u should be able to get a Full HD 3d projector.

Can you name some models...

don't forget to take into consideration about 3LCD and DLP projectors..
the quality is slightly similar.. but in 3LCD the quality may degrade with time.. also the lifespan is lesser than that of DLP.
the cost of replacing the lamp is very high. so there could be more recurring expenses in projectors than that of TV.

PS: I have a tv setup in the living room. but for movies I use home theater setup. as its occasional. I think projector setup won't last long for the purpose of watching tv. (someone correct if I'm wrong)

I too am looking for a DLP projector only also the tv viewing at our home is less than one hour a day so with lamp lives hovering around the 3K -5K mark,I can eek out about 5 years of life.
The main issue that I have is with the lighting,I want to know if the projectors can provide enough contrast in standard living room lighting.

Any input from guys using a projector setup for TV viewing in living room will be very helpful.

I was in the same boat recently and I would strongly suggest you visiting Home Theatre Projectors & Screens if you haven't already.

If you want to enjoy a projector, I would strongly recommend 100% darkness. There is no eye fatigue and it looks more or less like an FHD LCD TV (I have a 720p Benq W710ST which I connect occasionally to Tata Sky HD).

Also, please don't go on the 3k-5k mark mentioned by manufacturers. That is under ideal test conditions; which include power, proper start and shutdown and a multitude of other things. A projector is a very delicate piece of equipment and should be treated as such. Generally, projectors last about 1k-2k hours before the lamp starts to dim and you have to replace it. Even with 10 hours of viewing per week, this translates to 2 years at the very minimum. So, it's not really a cause for concern.

Just go through the different threads in the forum link I pasted above. Gather lots of information and then come back here, though I don't think you'll need to. :)

Back