Friend need new pc at home @ 15k [Max 20k]

mk76

Adept
Q: What is your budget?
Try to limit at 15k. Not more than 20k

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
Old P3 based system.

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Keyboard
Mouse
Creative 2.1 speakers
Sony DVD drive

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
Please suggest

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Final config

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Delhi.

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
Probably not.

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Browsing
Movies
Home use
Video/Voice chat
Little gaming that is supported by on-board graphics

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
No brand specific.. Only preference is gr8 A.S.S

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Games like Bookworm, bejeweled etc

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
What ever suits a 20-22" monitor

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
Not at all

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 32 bit

Thanks in advance.

AMD A6-3600 ~ 5900/- OR A8-3850 ~ 7500/-

Gigabyte GA-A75-S2V ~ 5900/-

Corsair ValueRAM 1333MHz 2GB x1 ~ 1000/-

Cooler Master eLite 310 ~ 1500/-

FSP Saga II 400W ~ 1900/-

BenQ E2200HD ~ 7500/-

This is what I'll suggest as the AMD Llano series processors are the best balance of raw CPU + GPU performance (Llano prices are from SMC International), Nehru Place, Delhi, if you want an Intel based solution --

Intel Core i3 2100 ~ 5500/-

any compatible H67 / H61 based motherboard ~ 4500/- ++

[rest configuration same as above]

Head-to-head AMD Llano against Intel Core i3 2100 -- AnandTech - AMD A8-3850 : An HTPC Perspective. Hope this helps.

Components Description Price (INR)

Processor Intel Pentium dual core G620 3400

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2-B3 3450

RAM 4GB Kingston DDRIII 1333MHz 1500

HDD Seagate 500GB 7200.12 1950

GPU Intel HD graphics -

Monitor Dell IN2020M 6000

Cabinet Zebronics Bijli W/O PSU 1100

PSU FSP saga II 350W 1500

Total 17900

The new SB Pentium's integrated graphics would be sufficient for your needs and also the config falls right between your lower and max limit. This rig should satisfy all your needs.

If you can extend till 20k then one change i would suggest is a 22" monitor like the Benq G2220HD for ~ 7.4k and a better cabinet like CM Elite 310~1.5k.

The H61 motherboard doesn't have IDE ports. So keep that in mind. This particular motherboard though at least has a PS/2 keyboard port, PS/2 mouse port. So at least that part is covered :)

Thanks guys.

@Alpha : Your suggestions are great however shoots way over the budget.

@Darky : Looks good. Although no IDE means old DVD drive of no use.

1) Still no AMD suggestions? How about a Athlon x3 with a 880G mobo as compared to this combo?

2) Also I am thinking to replace my rig's Elite 310 with something better .. possibly Elite 430 that has PSU base at bottom and seems to have better ventilation. Any suggestions on that?

I will then give Elite 310 for above rig.

I am confused. Have gone through the benchmarks. Except for power consumption at high loads there is no other downside for AII X3. For most of other KPIs G620 falls behind marginally.

The only deciding point would be on board graphics performance of the two boards - H61 vs 880GM.

Any inputs on that?

^Both IGPs are pretty much sufficient for your needs. IINM the Intel's HD graphics is slightly more powerful than the HD4250. But since there is no elaborate comparison of this particular IGP in the pentium to the HD4250 its hard to tell.

The SB pentium has the same IGP as previous gen. Core i3. But pentium's IGP lacks quick sync etc. Slightly different clocks.

Feature - Intel GMA HD Graphics Performance | bit-tech.net

AMD 880G Graphics Performance Review | bit-tech.net

Intel® Pentium® Processor G620 (3M Cache, 2.60 GHz)with SPEC Code(s)SR05R

Buy Gigabyte GA880GM-USB3L AM3+ ~4200 and you'll be able to upgrade to bulldozer core if needed in future.

If u interested in intel system then Buy pentium G840 as G620 is only marginally fast than Athlon II.

Guys, Thanks a lot to you all.

The final setup has been decided to be

AthlonII X3 445 ~ 3.4k

Gigabyte GA880GM-USB3L ~ 4.2k (or equivalent mobo)

Seagate or WD 500GB ~2k

Corsair Value Ram ~1k

FSP SAGA II 400W ~1.9k (not sure if this is available at NP)

CM Elite 430 ~ 2.5k (I will give my Elite 334)

Friend has decided to keep his 17" CRT for the time being.

As one final input if you can suggest availability of following items at Nehru Place, would be great. Coming Saturday would be the day to buy the items.

^^ All components should be available @SMC International, but I urge you that the slightly more expensive Llano is a better buy in your case. In the end its your choice.

If you can spend 20k then spend 20k only instead of compromising on other components by spending less... I would advice you to buy core i3 2100 along with intel dh67bl motherboard as it outperforms x3 440 in almost all tests... It outperforms x3 in archieving, image editing, gaming , rendering etc and it also consume lesser power as compared to x3

Op mentioned that he would be playing games like bookworms bejeweled etc which dont require an HD5670 class GPU... If he would have mentioned that he would be playing some good graphical games then liano would have made sense but for op needs i3 2100 IGP would suffice plus the processing power would come in handy for future apps

Hades. said:
Op mentioned that he would be playing games like bookworms bejeweled etc which dont require an HD5670 class GPU... If he would have mentioned that he would be playing some good graphical games then liano would have made sense but for op needs i3 2100 IGP would suffice plus the processing power would come in handy for future apps
I'm just saying to be future-proof the Llano makes ample sense the Intel HD 3000 graphics get pulverized by the HD 6550 / HD 6450 class GPU included in the Llano chipset. Now I'm not being argumentative but I think its worth it, with Windows Vista the jump over XP's Luna GUI was manifold I shudder to think how Windows 8 might come out.

Back