For whom is iOS and for whom is Android ?

magma

Disciple
Hello all
this is one of my first tech queries on a PC/tab

i am quite a noob in the tab market
i have just gotten down to researching tabs
i plan to buy one for the following purposes

1.Educative apps for my kids
2.General browsing and Email
3.Movie watching on vacations/travel
4.Games and general entertainment family
5.You tube

i require a No nonsense tab- buy it and forget it
i hate tweaking- takes too much of my time

No requirement for 3G

i belong to no camp
Apple or Android and i am open to both
However i do not know what best for which people

i would appreciate help in that area

i have not understood well the limitations of an Ipad or the advantages of an android or the dividends that each pay in my case and in the real world
would like help here

Yes i do know android is an open OS and i can get free apps blah blah blah but i do believe theres something deeper than just free apps
that only users of BOTH worlds would really know

i would love inputs from such

BUdget is 20-24k - (however obviously if a cheaper tab can met my requirement im all for it)
currently i am looking at the ipad2 or the Sony tablet s both of which cost the same(23k)

i am more intrested in knowing the pros and cons of one OS over the other (usabilitywise) rather than which tab to buy

i have heard it is a pain to transfer and view movies of all formats on the Apple how true is this? (my downloads are mostly from torrentz)
Should this influence buying decision?
also how important is expandable memory slot that android tabs seem to have- is it really a dealbreaker

Hi Ali, 6 posts in 3 years is quite encouraging ;)

You already know my POV on this after our chat yesterday.

There are plenty of supporters and opponents of the two OSs on the board, you should get quite a bit of action on this thread,

Good Luck!

I would say a very simple way of stating the difference is

"iOS powers an appliance. It does what its supposed to do very well, but does nothing else": Like a microwave

Android based systems are more like a general purpose device, it can be made to do more things than an appliance, but may not be as sleek. Kind of like a convection oven cum microwave

For your use, an iPad seems better if you can live with the restrictions

(Disclaimer: Havent used either outside of the demo pieces at showrooms,etc)

I
For your use, an iPad seems better if you can live with the restrictions

(Disclaimer: Havent used either outside of the demo pieces at showrooms,etc)
exactly
it is these RESTRICTIONS that ppl talk about that i havent completely understood
hence this thread

i know of a couple
but im sure there are more

1. Paid apps ( unless to jai;break)
2. transfers of media only through i tunes - so a friend or another PC who wants to give me a movie can only do it if its got i tunes
3. people say there are restrictions on the file types that the ipad can play - i want to know more about this

what are the other restrictions compared to android that an ipad user faces - (i.e some "frustrates")

Members have recommeded the Ios for me
it would be helpful for me to know how?

exactly
it is these RESTRICTIONS that ppl talk about that i havent completely understood
hence this thread

i know of a couple
but im sure there are more

1. Paid apps ( unless to jai;break)
2. transfers of media only through i tunes - so a friend or another PC who wants to give me a movie can only do it if its got i tunes
3. people say there are restrictions on the file types that the ipad can play - i want to know more about this

what are the other restrictions compared to android that an ipad user faces - (i.e some "frustrates")

Members have recommeded the Ios for me
it would be helpful for me to know how?

1- well you will have to pay for apps whichever o.s you use .
2 - you can transfer a movie wirelessly from your pc via itunes.its pretty simple and the transfer rate is really fast.
3 - ipad can play all types of files.just download oplayer or any other similar app.

There are no real restrictions in ios.dont even think of going for a android tablet currently,unless ofcourse you are on a budget.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello all

i require a No nonsense tab- buy it and forget it

No requirement for 3G

i belong to no camp
Apple or Android and i am open to both

also how important is expandable memory slot that android tabs seem to have- is it really a dealbreaker

Highlighted says it all.
Buy iPad and forget every other tab.

2 - you can transfer a movie wirelessly from your pc via itunes.its pretty simple and the transfer rate is really fast.

What if his friend doesn't have iTunes or doesn't have internet access or doesn't want to waste bandwidth to download and install crap like iTunes on his Windows/Linux PC just to transfer a file to OP's iPad? Considering that you already proclaimed that iOS has no restrictions whatsoever, can you give a method whereby OP can get a file copied to an out of the box iPad (no jail breaking) from a PC other than his own without using iTunes.

For you, iPad 2 is better. let me quote,

1.Educative apps for my kids - iOS have good educational apps than android.
2.General browsing and Email - browsings okay, but android is good on push mail whereas in iOS, get sparrow for push.
3.Movie watching on vacations/travel - get a app like AVPlayer are such so for playing various formats.
4.Games and general entertainment family - I bet iPad beats all. ios have better apps than android
5.You tube - no idea.

i hate tweaking- takes too much of my time - well get the iPad

No requirement for 3G - get the wifi version

i have heard it is a pain to transfer and view movies of all formats on the Apple how true is this? (my downloads are mostly from torrentz) - better JB, and transfer thru iFunbox for movies and docs.

Android is of lot of customization for your various needs and ios is plain, simple and ease of use.

Highlighted says it all.
Buy iPad and forget every other tab.

Funnily, the highlighted says the exact opposite to me. An iPad is nearly next to nothing without jail breaking unless the requirements are extremely trivial. You need to jail break an iPad to even get functionality like USB Mass storage mode that is so trivial on Android devices.

In this particular case, OPs requirements still seem to be trivial enough that he can manage with an out of the box iPad.

@OP:

To put the differences between the two in a blunt manner, its like the difference between a Media Player and an HTPC. iPad is an electronic appliance that does some things well, but is rigid in many ways. an Android tablet is highly customizable device that is less of an appliance and more of a computing device

There used to come a software called anapod explorer for ipod (i used it 5years back), which used to let you access files and transfer directly to ipod without the need of itunes. Isn't there something same for ipad?

There used to come a software called anapod explorer for ipod (i used it 5years back), which used to let you access files and transfer directly to ipod without the need of itunes. Isn't there something same for ipad?

i dont believe those would be working working with iOS whereas those are aimed for iPods.

I think the iPad would be best suited for your requirements.

1.Educative apps for my kids - Lots and lots of apps on the iPad. If you are willing to pay some money, you can get the best of the apps out there. There are free options too of course.

2.General browsing and Email- I will not go as far as to say that it is better an an Android device, but it is definitely amongst the best out there.

3.Movie watching on vacations/travel- With 10 hours of battery life, you can easily use it for days (with light usage) and for 2-3 days (with heavy usage). You can buy an app (for $2-3) after which you need not convert your movies. Simply drag and drop in iTunes

4.Games and general entertainment family - The best developers always release an iOS version of their app first.

5.You tube
- Very good.

Another thing I would like to add is the speaker quality of iPad. It's really very good. I have not experimented with every tablet out there but you will not be disappointed by the quality here.

i require a No nonsense t
ab- buy it and forget it

For the above, iPad is the best bet. Your usage seems quite normal and you will not even have to jailbreak your iPad if you are willing to shell out some money for the apps.

No requirement for 3G- Go for the Wi-Fi version. The new iPad with the 2048x1536 resolution is gorgeous and extremely fast. I would buy the 32GB Wi-Fi version because the 16GB gets filled up very quickly.

some lovely informative posts

still some lingering questions that remain unanswered though
please humor me

though you all have given me an idea about the ease of IOS - most of the time its just been a general statement comapring the ipad to an oven ( microvae media player etc etc)

i would like some concrete aspects about the limitations rather that comparisons ( or the advantages of android over IOS)
After reading through i have actaully come across only 1 - transfer only through itunes!
and partially use of usb as mass storage- i say partially bcause some users have reported that the sd card works only inconsistently and only for media most of the time)
PLease note : im one who may not jailbreak

BTW : what does jailbreak allow? other than file transfer without i tunes and Use of usb as mass storage? and ofcourse access to apps without giving the makers their dues

Also
does the usb as mass storage allow you to load all kinds of files or only MEDIA files/?
what else may i ask compared to android
@Sei
You can buy an app (for $2-3) after which you need not convert your movies. Simply drag and drop in iTunes
are you referring to AVplayer or Oplayer as suggested by some members here?

^^ see lemme simplify it for you.
You dont need a jailbreak,unlock or any kind of tweak to simplify your ipad.nor does it have any limitations which are of a huge hindrance.

1 - movies.how do i transfer my movies to my ipad? 1 - open itunes. And ur ipad will be wirelessly shown in itunes. 2 - click on oplayer and choose the files which need to be transferred in your ipad.3 - wait for a few mins and viola all the movies,tvshows are in your ipad.just like that! No conversion,nothing needed at all.it plays mkv,avi any format you throw at it.

2 - jailbreak basically means,you can download apps from apptrackr and other similar sites and get the apps for free.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

some lovely informative posts

still some lingering questions that remain unanswered though
please humor me

though you all have given me an idea about the ease of IOS - most of the time its just been a general statement comapring the ipad to an oven ( microvae media player etc etc)

i would like some concrete aspects about the limitations rather that comparisons
After reading through i have actaully come across only 1 - transfer only through itunes!
PLease note : im one who may not jailbreak

BTW : what does jailbreak allow? other than file transfer without i tunes and Use of usb as mass storage? and ofcourse access to apps without giving the makers their dues

Also
does the usb as mass storage allow you to load all kinds of files or only MEDIA files/?
what else may i ask compared to android
[B @Sei
[/B]You can buy an app (for $2-3) after which you need not convert your movies. Simply drag and drop in iTunes
are you referring to AVplayer or Oplayer as suggested by some members here?

you can simply drag and put on itunes, it just copies to your devices unless the app is compitable.
FYI, jailbreaking allows you not only what you mentioned but some cool customization like
airblue sharing for BT transfer
lockinfo
lock launcher
gridlock
barrel
dreamboard, winterboard
activator
and the list goes on and on.
but you seem rather not into it.

and yes @Sei is referring those apps.

Last edited by a moderator:
haha

lockinfo
lock launcher
gridlock
barrel
dreamboard, winterboard
activator

thats greek to me and probably 'alien" to my wife

thanks a lot you guys!

any advice of a list of must have apps
or does this exsist on this forum somewhere ( if so please point me )

note : i require a word and excel reader

Does ipad allow running of mkv movies with dts audio container over wifi ?

played mkv video thru other apps but no idea about DTS.
as for the wifi, you need a airplay supported device else you can use HDMI for wired purpose.

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

haha

lockinfo
lock launcher
gridlock
barrel
dreamboard, winterboard
activator

thats greek to me and probably 'alien" to my wife

thanks a lot you guys!

any advice of a list of must have apps
or does this exsist on this forum somewhere ( if so please point me )

note : i require a word and excel reader

welcome sir.
glad i helped you.
For word and excel, try pages and numbers respectively.

I am happy iPad user. I would recommend for you to buy the new iPad. The reason is the new iPad will have more shelf life compared to iPad 2. The number one reason to buy a iPad is software updates. You get the OS updates the next day the OS is released and dont have to wait for your manufacturer to release the update. Some of the app developers tend to release Applications/features that work only on the latest version of OS. The second is battery life. iPad has the best battery life which cannot be matched by any tablet. Although if you buy iPad , you must be willing to pay some of the applications. Based on your requirements

1.Educative apps for my kids -> iOS has some of the best applications for any tablet OS. iTunesU is awesome. Then there is also Khan academy application.

2.General browsing and Email -> There are lots of third party browsers available (Opera, Dolphin) incase you dont like safari. The Google App is awesome and can serve as browser. The email experience is good but not the best. Unless , you are a advanced user you wont find anything missing. In case you are into reading articles, Flipboard is an amazing application that allows you to do just that.

3.Movie watching on vacations/travel -> You can watch movies without worrying battery going down. Although default player supports only a few formats ,there are applications available which allow you play other formats.

4.Games and general entertainment family-> The best games on any platform is available for iPad. Infinity blade is the only game that gives console like experience and this is available only for iPad. Cut the Rope, Angry birds , fruit ninja , kingdom rush you name the game it is available for iPad.

5.You tube-> The youtube app is good.

The only drawback i see of iPad is that you need to pay for some of the applications and also there is no SD card slot. Some of the applications are so good that you dont mind paying for them.

Back