Flipkart's Flyte music store shutting down!

Yup..got the mail... here's the reason:

Mekin Maheshwari, Head – Digital Media and Payments, Flipkart told NextBigWhat
“We have realized that the music downloads business in India will not reach scale unless several problem areas such as music piracy and easy micro-payments etc are solved in great depth. Which is why, we feel that at present, it makes sense to take a step back from Flyte MP3s and revisit the digital music market opportunity at a later stage.”
Reference: http://www.nextbigwhat.com/flyte-mp3-shutdown-297/

All those 100 free songs a day must have taken a toll. Wonder if they will delete music we bought from digital store too. :(

Wonder if they will delete music we bought from digital store too. :(

Their email says : You will no longer be able to download your purchased MP3 files from your digital library after Sunday, August 18, 2013. So please download all your music by then.

Flipkart cannot compete with Google and Apple. The marginal cost for these companies is extremely low since they have already purchased rights and have the server side infrastructure setup. Adding a new market (India) is quite cheap for them. Flipkart has to create a whole system from ground up for a single market.

I think these mobile phone service providers and isp's form a cartel . And never have the desire to increase bandwidth . Even my 2 Mbps is not true on my broadband . We should have been on 10 Mbps by now . At least. They take advantage of the fact that we have no options . My 36 k Samsung. S3 is useless outside when 3g speeds are not actually 3g . At home too on broadband I cannot watch a YouTube video at HD resolution. It will just not play .what is the point of buying an expensive laptop or mobile if internet is bad ? I am a little ot here . But what o mean is more internet speed more online services like Netflix Google music we will use .

Sent from my Micromax A110 using TechEnclave Forum mobile app

We have 300 Mbps slowly becoming common in US, verizon quantum or something or AT&T not sure.
And google fiber providing 1 Gbps (??), we are so so backward in terms of broadband speeds.
Dismal state.

They have realized that future is in music streaming services, copyrights are easier to obtain on streaming platforms as well.

Another reason for Flyte to fail is that Nokia Music. They are offering free music downloads on the Lumia series. I download all the latest Hindi audio for free on my lumia.

Another reason for Flyte to fail is that Nokia Music. They are offering free music downloads on the Lumia series. I download all the latest Hindi audio for free on my lumia.

Yeah i remember my 5800XM days where i used to download hindi songs from nokia music store for free, sound quality was excellent as well.

damn it was so handy. I used to watch and movie and immediately download my fav songs from it and play it in the car on my way home.

I guess, its back to CD ripping or good ol' songspk

We hope you have enjoyed the music we have made available to you. Unfortunately the Flyte MP3 store will no longer be operational after June 17, 2013. We request you to use your Flyte Wallet balance, if any, by that date. But if for some reason you are unable to do this then not to worry. We will refund the unused Flyte wallet balance to you. If you would like to purchase any more music before the Flyte MP3 store shuts down, then please do so by June 17, 2013. All the MP3 files that you have purchased from Flyte on or before June 17, 2013 will continue to be available for download in your digital library till August 18, 2013. So do remember to download all your favourite music by then.

"We have realized that the music downloads business in India will not reach scale unless several problem areas such as music piracy and easy micro-payments etc are solved in great depth."

So, they realized it now? These are things they were supposed to "analyze" before launching the product. Wonder what made them ignore these issues.

Back