Flipkart will soon come in a big problem

asingh

Staff member
Super Mod
Jun 13, 2009
New Delhi
@asingh how come your english is too good :(, please give me some tips to improvise myself :(

Read as much as you can. Not gibberish on the web, but Classic Novels. Never ever type / communicate using SMS language and be mindful of your spellings, sentence structure, grammar and syntax. Also be particular about capital letters and punctuation. When you read the novels, write down the words you do not understand and later check up the meaning, or then only you can. Buy a Collins Gem or Oxford dictionary to check the meanings. Write down the definitions, to read up later...!

:)

avi

Skilled
Nov 23, 2010
Read as much as you can. Not gibberish on the web, but Classic Novels. Never ever type / communicate using SMS language and be mindful of your spellings, sentence structure, grammar and syntax. Also be particular about capital letters and punctuation. When you read the novels, write down the words you do not understand and later check up the meaning, or then only you can. Buy a Collins Gem or Oxford dictionary to check the meanings. Write down the definitions, to read up later...!

:)
This greatly improves vocabulary, but not grammar

Reactions: asingh

avi

Skilled
Nov 23, 2010
Read as much as you can. Not gibberish on the web, but Classic Novels.
And also this a great advice. One day I was super bored, so I decided to find out how many difficult/rare words occur in these classics. So I picked up list of 800 GRE words and started comparing how many of these words occur in these classic novels.

Here are top 5 results and the word count:
Ulysses by James Joyce - 320
Les Misérables by Victor Hugo - 296
Essays of Michel de Montaigne — Complete by Michel de Montaigne - 293
The Complete Works of William Shakespeare by William Shakespeare - 246
Middlemarch by George Eliot - 237
War and Peace by graf Leo Tolstoy - 227

Here's full raw result of top 100 books: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/avinassh/gre-classics/master/output-wnl.json
and here's is project link: http://github.com/avinassh/gre-classics/ (it's purely documented, sorry for that)

Rickyk

Skilled
Jan 18, 2007
and estore shouldn't be allowed to undercut cost price by paying from their pockets, just to attract more customer to show more turnover to attract more investment.

Its not simply a case of E-tailers "undercutting cost price". That sort of business model is not sustainable in the long term for obvious reasons.

The problem is that E-tailers are in a position to offer higher discounts to customers versus B&M stores because they don't have the same overheads that B&M stores do. IMO, it's this fact that is annoying the B&M owners because they find they just cant compete price wise versus E-tailers let alone in other departments such as service, deliveries and support.

As for your second point, do you really think investors who pump Millions of $'s of their hard earned money into E-tailers are stupid or are somehow getting suckered into doing so? You honestly believe they put all their money into a company purely based on its "turnover"?

Any half sensible foreign investor/group will perform a process known as "Due Diligence" before investing in another company. This sort of probe is very thorough and highly intrusive because of the nature of the info demanded/required by the investors before they agree to invest in such companies. If you think investors will be fooled into parting with their money purely on a company's "turnover" then I think you need to read up on how these funds/investors operate! :)

Lets make the ground equal for estore as well as local store

If high rentals, staff & other overheads means B&M stores are struggling versus E-tailers then why should such inefficiency be somehow "subsidized" by the OEM to the detriment of not just the E-tailer but the consumer as well?

No one if forcing anyone to either open a B&M store or to become an E-tailer for that matter. These decisions are taken by entrepreneurs - ie., people who invest money in ventures because they BELIEVE they will be profitable. In a business there are no guarantees. Thousands of businesses are started and shut down everyday. You yourself have switched from one line of work to another. If a particular business or business model (ie. B&M) is not viable for some reason, then switch to another one that is viable or consider changing your line of business entirely. This is what one needs to do to survive in the modern world.

also discounts offered by manufacturer to this estore should match with the discount offered to B&M retailers

Even if the discounts offered by an OEM to both B&M & E-tailers is exactly the same, E-tailers would still have a higher "discount margin" to play with due to their lower overhead costs vis-a-vis B&M sellers. As a direct result, they would be a in a position to offer customers significantly cheaper prices than a B&M store could.

This is the reason why brands like K-lounge, Donear, Siyaram, Raymonds don't offer stocks to e-store, since they do know how they can easily destroy their brands.

Wait - what? Destroy their brands?

So you're saying when Amazon/Walmart/Newegg offer stunning product discounts during Christmas, Black Friday or Cyber Moday deals they are "destroying the brands" (which is quite a lot of brands BTW) of the items they are selling? This is such an absurd thing to say. If this was the case, then would be hardly any "brands" left in the US/EU because they have all been pretty much "destroyed" at some point or the other thanks to online stores offering discounts on them that were WAY BEYOND beyond what B&M stores could do for similar products.

If the PC version of Skyrim is selling in a B&M store for 2499/- and the same game is subsequently offered on sale by an online Digital Distributors for the equivalent of Rs.699/- would this mean that the DD is somehow destroying Bethesda's brand name? This logic is just beyond me. What if a store is having a summer clearance sale and are offering summer related stock at 70% off? Are they "destroying" all the brands that are on sale for doing so? So say for example, if an Adidas Summer T-Shirt was on 70% off because Winters was coming, would this "destroy" the Adidas brand and stop you from buying an Adidas Sweat Shirt or Sweater during the Winters? Or even an Adidas Summer T-shirt the following summer?

E-tailers don't "destroy brands". What they destroy (or rather "expose") is the inefficient and outdated model of selling items at ridiculously high margins at B&M stores to the detriment of the average consumer.

BTW, do you know how the Indian Army CSD (Canteen Stores Department) operates? At such stores, armed force personnel are offered a very wide range of consumer goods (from as small as a box of matches to something as big as a car) at a price FAR CHEAPER than the prevailing market rates. These discounted rates are offered all the year around - not just on Diwali or other festive occasions.

How come B&M sellers don't complain to OEM's about this? Aren't their "brands being destroyed" not just on festive occasions but all throughout the year? :)

Try to look from business personal perspective as well as from consumer perspective.

Both camps are fully entitled to their own perspectives but unfortunately for businessmen, it is only the consumer's perspective that matters as we are the ones making the purchases. Its our money. More often than not, consumers will shop not just where they get the best deals but where they are offered good service & support as well.

B&M stores need to take a reality check. Gone are the days when they could take consumers for granted mainly because we had nowhere else to go. Net savvy online shoppers are smarter and much more aware than the average consumer.

B&M stores need to offer competitive pricing backed by courteous & prompt service & support. If they fail to do so its unlikely they will survive. One cannot "turn back" the Internet business model or wish it away. Its here to stay.

Adapt or perish...

Last edited:

paarkhi

Skilled
Mar 26, 2010
@Rickyk, Actually OEMs are under lot of pressure from B&M Stores in India and so giving all these nonsense statements about destroying their brand names, I completely agree with you on the example of Army Canteen and Amazon, Newegg providing discounts. I'm just afraid that if B&M stores win then we the customers will be the sufferers :(

Last edited:

Rickyk

Skilled
Jan 18, 2007
due to this reason only, i am forced to SHUTDOWN MY STORE , and now i am looking into culinary biz, although i might face competition from dominos, pizza hut kfc, but in no way they can offer Indian cuisines, and at rate which i am going to offer.

I honestly think you made the correct decision by shutting down your store. There is absolutely no reason to whatsoever continue in a business that is not viable. After all its a business - not charity.

Also, congrats and good luck in your new food venture. Hope it does well! :)

I would however advise you NOT to underestimate foreign food chains even when it comes to offering local Indian Cuisines. Not sure if you are from North India but we have this famous food chain called "Nirulas" running out of New Delhi. They were one of the first around in the fast food business and opened branches in several places including Gurgaon.

However once Dominos, Pizza Hut, KFC, McDonalds et.all arrived, they found they were no longer able to compete in Gurgaon and closed ALL their stores here (they still exist in Delhi though).

Remember, this was an Indian chain offering both Indian as well as Western food. And yet they were beaten at their own game despite having some 20+ years of lead time in India. Most foreign chains now offer "indianized cuisine" including several offerings that are only sold exclusively in India. This is what I mean by adapt or perish. The foreign chains have chosen to "adapt" and this is why they continue to thrive.

Strive to provide consistently good food backed by courteous service at a reasonable price and your new business will do just fine... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Criminal

Rickyk

Skilled
Jan 18, 2007
@Rickyk, Actually OEMs are under lot of pressure from B&M Stores in India and so giving all these nonsense statements about destroying their brand names, I completely agree with you on the example of Army Canteen and Amazon, Newegg providing discounts. I'm just afraid that if B&M stores win then we the customers will the sufferers :(

Oh I'm sure B&M stores are screaming bloody murder at the OEM's because they feel their very existence threatened by these "internet upstarts". :p

The truth is, there is actually room for both of them to survive!

Its just that B&M stores need to wake up and realize they need to up their game by offering customers better value (read cheaper prices), better service and a little more respect rather than simply taking them for granted.

If they can do this, there's no reason why they won't survive. Internet penetration in India is abysmally low and this actually works in the favor of B&M (at least for the mid term). Gradually they will have to consider moving online as well. Take Croma for example. They have physical stores apart from their own online store & sell on Amazon as well. Despite this they have entered into a tie up with Snapdeal. They are simply "adapting" to the changing business scenario in India.

Below is a clip from the Financial Express on Croma's Snapdeal decision. Note the bit I marked in BOLD UNDERLINE ITALIC. This is what Croma intends to push as its strong selling point. B&M stores need to start offering similar services.

"The equation that has emerged between a new breed of online retailers in India and their traditional brick-and-mortar counterparts isn’t adversarial and they can collaborate with one another to grow their respective businesses, according to Snapdeal.com chief executive Kunal Bahl.

In keeping with this mindset, the online marketplace forged a tie-up with Infiniti Retail, a Tata Group company that runs a chain of electronics stores under the brand Croma.

The idea is to establish a virtual Croma store on Snapdeal. Snapdeal delivers to around 5,000 cities and towns in India and the partnership will enable Croma to sell its products in regions where it is not present. Croma physical stores are spread across 16 large cities.

The tie-up will enable Croma to adopt an omni-channel commerce model, which retail experts say will be the future of retail in India. Under this model, retailers establish sales and delivery touch-points across platforms like physical stores and online portals. This enables customers to purchase products and receive goods either in stores or at their doorsteps (by booking them online).

The trends and analytics that Snapdeal collates will help Croma optimise costs by understanding how to plan store expansion and which products to push in which markets.

Though Croma may not be able to lower its prices to match those of other e-tailers, it can get into special tie-ups to offer other incentives such as freebies and services like extended warranty in a bid to make their offerings more attractive to the customers, Bahl said.

We maintain same prices online and offline. On Snapdeal as well, there may be other retailers who are selling their products cheaper, but so be it,” said Ajit Joshi, CEO and MD of Infiniti Retail. “We have always maintained transparency in our pricing and would like to continue that going forward.”

This is pretty much what I meant when I said there is room for both B&M as well as E-tailers. You don't see Croma QQ'ing about others selling items cheaper on Snapdeal or other sites. There's no point cribbing about it. Its not going to change. Its better to accept the fact and try to offer other "value added services" that would entice the customer to buy from Croma.

Case in point - when I buy a new TV for myself, it will be at a B&M store and not at Amazon or FK or any other online store no matter how much of a discount the site may offer. Yes, I will DEFINITELY haggle with the B&M retailer and tell him to "try" and match the price I am getting online but thats about as far as I will go for such an item. While its true that Amazon/FK offer a no questions asked 30 day replacement etc. a 1 lakh plus TV is not the kind of item I would like to ship back and forth between me and an online retailer before I get a piece I am 100% satisfied with. Nor would I like to risk the chance of a "warranty" not being honored in the future because I bought it "online" (which BTW I think is absurd if the item is bought with a proper bill, a valid serial no. and that was imported through the correct channel by the OEM or its authorized Indian subsidiary).

IMO, companies like Sony, LG etc. will HAVE to come around to the E-tailers viewpoint at some point. Online sales are only going to grow. If they choose to ignore this market, it will be suicidal for them and they know it.

They might temporarily play to the B&M crowd and "protest/threaten" FK and other sites but they are fully aware of what the future is having seen and experienced it first hand in other countries abroad. There is no reason to believe the Indian market will be any different...

Last edited:

sharktale1212

Skilled
May 27, 2008
IMO there are two sides to this.
1. The B&M story - For one the whole premise being put by the B&M is the same they give for malls/supermarkets, isnt? The whole thing about how they are destroying mom and pop kirana stores and how they afford bigger discounts. Frankly I am tired of this story. I am sorry but most of the B&M's in India don't have business sense. They spend more time doing mark ups on items instead of trying innovative ways to sell to people. That is where they stumble. Business is not only about buying something at 100 and selling it at 12o. It is about pulling in people, even if it means selling the item at 100 again.
My family owns a chain of stores. When we started out we had a competitor who was a well known retailer right across the street. Over the years we have overtaken them by offering discounts (those were the old days when everything was sold @ MRP), freebies and honest pricing. We were even credited for pushing a local detergent brand to replace Rin/Wheel. It dint happen instantaneously but pricing and marketing worked for us.

2. The etailer story - Well the fact is discounts doesn't really mean a good business model. Yes they grab more eyeballs but they lose out on profits. Amazon is a prime example. They have added streaming, devices and what not to try and get more profits. That is not happening on such razor thin margins. Here's a fun fact - Amazon has never paid a dividend since its inception in 1997. Recently, Walmart's online foray has been more profitable than amazons and they have bigger pockets. So flipkart is ever going to make a profit even with such margins? Very, very difficult. Everyone has high hopes for etailers but they are more or less doomed because of their supply and inventory system. Lets take an example which has been quoted in this thread: a model which dint exist in the B&M stores was found with an etailer. Ever wonder how they maintain stocks + promise 2-3 days delivery? This could mean mostly (but not necessarily) they have models in hand. And if the model is a bit unique, they could be sitting on it for years (or put it out on a holiday discount) before they can get rid of it.
And then there is a case of "costly" items being stored but not being sold so easily - like say 1 lakh + TV.

So both of them are hurting in one way or other. Only time will tell who has destroyed whom. Fact is in India, every one thinks their neighbour is doing better than them even if they are not. ;)

Btw, @Being.smart - not to discourage you but if you think shoe's showroom was difficult, then god help you with food/restaurant business. 70% of such businesses die of in first 2 years or need fresh money within that time to keep running. If you make a mistake in pricing your menu, you really are done for.

Dec 6, 2009
Seriously, I think there should be online only products which should be sold via Online stores. Few Examples are Motorola & Xiaomi. I believe there would be lot of scope if there would be a kickstarter and it ends up online only. Say for example, to compete in the TV Segment you can have MI TV in that segment and so on.
Flipkart after the big sale day have stopped all the good discounts completely , no electronic items discounts at all , I was thinking of buying the moto x 1st gen on some discount below 17999 but nothing at all for the past few days , will wait till diwali or then if no further price drop let it go . I think they are running scared now and amazon is playing the conservative game .

That's because they have not yet fulfilled all the orders for that day itself. If you add your stuff in cart then I suggest you check the standard delivery dates. They are showing like 15 days required for delivery.

Being.smart

Adept
Dec 19, 2011
Google
www.google.com
@Rickyk i had read only 1-2 lines from post, just want an answer from your perspective :D

1) Do you really think, it is good that estores buy items for 100 rupee, and sell them at 70 rupee ?? , estore does have much more overhead cost in comparision to B&M stores, even if you talk in comparison to rent/staff/electricity. The only reason why i am saying this because, i am closely involved (management level) and even got good lump sump of money invested in Yebhi.com, which is going to file bankruptcy soon, and has received more than 400+ crores in investment.

frankly speaking i don't think any B&M stores can survive this strategy, i am against only this thing of estores, other than it i do fully support it, and in near future you might even see my own online apparel store of self manufactured brand :)

Also please don't compare USA and India, they are extremely different economy, Its not how amazon in usa vs flipkart in india

Secondly Army Canteen thing, according to my little knowledge, govt. refund all the taxes and duties involved in item to the related vendor, which makes the items so cheap :D, you might be already knowing we generally pay 35-40% of tax in any items which we buy (VAT+ Excise + etc :p)

Last edited:

Rickyk

Skilled
Jan 18, 2007
1) Do you really think, it is good that estores buy items for 100 rupee, and sell them at 70 rupee ?? ,

Tell me something honestly - since when has it my (or your) business HOW someone runs their firms/companies? If you personally know someone who is selling items at a loss can you stop them from doing so?

As a consumer I'm delighted that I get the lowest price possible. I don't care how the seller is doing it as long as the item is -
1) Genuine
2) Legally imported
3) With a proper tax paid bill
4) Offers the same warranty the OEM does

estore does have much more overhead cost in comparision to B&M stores, even if you talk in comparison to rent/staff/electricity.

No, its the other way around. E-stores have much -LESS- overheads compared to B&M stores which is why they can offer higher discounts while still being profitable versus B&M stores.

The only reason why i am saying this because, i am closely involved (management level) and even got good lump sump of money invested in Yebhi.com, which is going to file bankruptcy soon, and has received more than 400+ crores in investment.

I don't understand the relevance of the above statement. Are you saying that just because it "recd. more than 400+ crores in investment" it shouldn't die? Thats not how a business works. Two points here:
1) You (and other Yebhi investors) have only yourself to blame from not doing a proper due diligence on Yebhi before investing your money
2) Any business has an associated "risk factor" - Yebhi apparently didn't do things right and must therefore shut.

frankly speaking i don't think any B&M stores can survive this strategy, i am against only this thing of estores, other than it i do fully support it, and in near future you might even see my own online apparel store of self manufactured brand :)

If B&M stores die out that's too bad. B&M stores aren't a "national monument" or "heritage sites" that need to be somehow "protected". Just like your Yebhi.com example - if they fail to offer value & compete effectively they will not survive.

Also, what will happen if you start your own online apparel store and some other site buys items from you at FULL PRICE and sells them at 50% off. Then what will you do? Would you care if this "other site" happened to be a major customer who accounted for 80% of your sales? Think about that. :)

Secondly Army Canteen thing, according to my little knowledge, govt. refund all the taxes and duties involved in item to the related vendor, which makes the items so cheap :D, you might be already knowing we generally pay 35-40% of tax in any items which we buy (VAT+ Excise + etc :p)

It honestly doensn't matter HOW they do it.

My point is, why don't B&M shop owners COMPLAIN to the Govt. and tell them that by allowing the Army Canteen to sell things at lower prices the whole year around they are "destroying the brands"?

Look, let me give you another real world example of why all this "destroying brands" line by the B&M retailers is absolute rubbish.

There is a shopping mall in Gurgaon called "Central". Every year (for several years now) on Aug 14 & 15th, they have a "Flat 50% off sale" across all shops in their mall. Now there are 4-5 other gigantic malls within 500 feet of Central.

However NONE of the other malls offer the same deal despite the fact that most malls have (more or less) the same shops/brands.

So why don't the other mall owners complain to the "manufacturers" that Central is "destroying their brands" and therefore the OEM's should not stop selling items to the stores in Central? Also, do you see online stores QQ'ing about how Central is offering 50% off on everything? This is such BS.

Let me give you an interesting stat.

According to Gartner Inc., the India e-commerce market will reach $6 billion in 2015 - which is a massive 70 percent increase over 2014's revenue of $3.5 billion. The thing I find most interesting about this stat is that currently E-commerce in India represents less than 4 percent of the total retail market !

Do you understand the significance of that statement as well as the part I marked in bold/underline/italic?

Imagine what will happen when the E-Commerce market hit 20 or 30 or 50 percent of retail market levels. Where are all these new consumers going to come from? Where were they buying from previously? Who is going to be at the losing end of this battle? The answers to all 3 questions are pretty obvious. A very significant majority of these "new age online consumers" will be former B&M buyers!

Keeping the above in mind, do you honestly think that any company, even biggies like Sony, LG, Samsung etc. can afford to ignore such a huge and continuously growing consumer group? It would be suicide to do so. Its the future way business will be done and the OEM's fully know this. Any OEM that tries to "curtail" sales of their items with E-tailers (by refusing to honor warranties or other such nonsense) is only shooting themselves in the foot.

They will -ALL- come in line at some point or the other. You can mark my words on this. It might take 3 years or 5 years or 10 years, but it will happen.

And when it does, the OEM's will actually make MORE MONEY than they currently do because they will be cutting out a very "expensive" overhead in their delivery/distribution chain - namely the B&M stores! That margin will now be split between the OEM and the E-tailers.

Win-win for both as well as consumers...

Last edited:

m-jeri

A Nobody.
Skilled
Jun 21, 2008
FL
True that. All these "OEM" are already doing much more sales in other countries using the online method. B&M shops are just trying to hold on till they can. There is really no need for them anymore.
If 1000's of job is at stake. Fine. Let that 1000 find another job. What else can be done? I am sure all of us including me live under that sword. What makes this B&M shops so special? Why should i pay more to keep their jobs alive?

And why no one is talking about courier companies? Due to all these eCommerce their business is booming. Numbers were there in Economic Times. They are also B&M shops.
Companies that makes shipping supplies, stationary must be also making money. They are also B&M.

Do their business deserve to die because some other B&M shops wants more?

Sobirvs

Skilled
Mar 20, 2013
Chrome
INot sure if you are from North India but we have this famous food chain called "Nirulas" running out of New Delhi. They were one of the first around in the fast food business and opened branches in several places including Gurgaon.

I remember them.. daym they failed miserably. Closed in Jammu aswell.

Reactions: Rickyk

Rickyk

Skilled
Jan 18, 2007
BTW, what I posted earlier seems to have already begun and it didn't even take the "years" I was predicting! :p

Firstly, hats off to Samsung for not caving in to pressure by B&M retailers and for allowing us, the consumers, to decide which buying option WE prefer for our purchases regardless of whether our reasons are cost or just convenience.

From the Times Of India ( I underlined some particularly interesting bits) -
Cracks seem to be appearing within the consumer goods industry over the mega discounts offered by online retailers like Flipkart, Amazon and Snapdeal.

Samsung, the country's top electronics maker, has said it has no intention to block or restrict sales to online retailers even if they sell products at huge discounts to the brick-and-mortar outlets.

"Blocking and restricting (supplies), or anything like that, is not our approach," Asim Warsi, VP for mobile & IT at Samsung India, told TOI when asked whether the company plans any steps against e-tailers selling at huge discounts to the physical stores. "We do not play God in pricing. It is an open market and we are committed to open-market practice."

Samsung's stance is different from the position adopted by other consumer goods companies like LG and Sony, which have warned online sellers of restrictions if they offer massive discounts to the prices prevailing at the physical stores.

The larger section of consumer goods makers as well as associations representing brick-and-mortar showrooms have said that online sale events like 'Big Billion Day' — where Flipkart sold goods at huge discounts to the market price — are detrimental to competition as e-tailers engage in "predatory" prices.

Warsi said that Samsung ensures that its goods are sold at "a reasonably and fairly uniform price" to all its retailers, including its channel partners and online stores. "In the long term, consumers will ultimately decide on which channel they would want to use to buy products from."

Link -
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-to-restrict-e-sales/articleshow/44819825.cms

Now just think about the above article for a minute.

If LG/Sony etc. don't follow suit and continue to follow policies that are stuck in some "time warp bubble" from the past, what do you think will happen at the next big seasonal sale?

E-tailers could potentially offer "Samsung Products" at a discount that not only put B&M stores to shame but even make hardcore Sony/LG fans/users stop and ask themselves WHY they aren't considering Samsung offerings instead of LG/Sony's products!

Plus, there will be no warranty, delivery or service problems with Samsung products sold online provided they came via the proper OEM channel.

And this is Samsung BTW - a reputed brand that is also allegedly "the country's top electronics maker". Its not some unknown OEM.

Personally I think in time (a very short time IMO) LG/Sony etc. will start to feel the pinch SO BAD, that they will have no choice but to cave.

The longer they follow such outdated business models the more they stand to lose.

For me personally, the most disappointing fallout of all this has been Amazon India's pathetic Diwali sale offerings. Its pretty obvious they are treading very carefully and don't want to "upset" certain OEM's.

This is so unlike the Amazon's I know from abroad that it sometimes seems like a completely different creature.

True, India's FDI norms coupled with outdated Govt. policies certainly cant be helping but even so, I would say despite the FK sale debacle, not just FK but even Snapdeal out shined them.

As an Amazon fan, I am EXTREMELY disappointed that the Indian arm of Amazon had so little to show at a time that is arguably PEAK shopping season in India... :(

Last edited:
Reactions: paarkhi and m-jeri

paarkhi

Skilled
Mar 26, 2010
@Rickyk, Amazon India is completely different than its US counterpart in terms of behaviour, Slow Shipping is my one of the main gripes from Amazon India. I'm accustomed to FK/WSRetail fast shipping :)

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
Jun 3, 2005
Firstly, hats off to Samsung for not caving in to pressure by B&M retailers and for allowing us, the consumers, to decide which buying option WE prefer for our purchases regardless of whether our reasons are cost or just convenience.

Do note Samsung also said that they may or may not honor warranty depending where you buy it from online. Its just that they won't try to block supplies. It means that if you buy from a online seller who is not authorized by them to sell that particular Samsung product you will not have warranty. I think that is perfectly fair .

Rickyk

Skilled
Jan 18, 2007
Do note Samsung also said that they may or may not honor warranty depending where you buy it from online.

On the one hand I don't blame them because of this -

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...kets-ahead-of-Diwali/articleshow/44872491.cms

It means that if you buy from a online seller who is not authorized by them to sell that particular Samsung product you will not have warranty. I think that is perfectly fair .

On the other hand, HOW is a customer supposed to know for sure that the "online seller" they are buying from are "authorized" or not?

Take the Sony example I posted a while back.

Buyer visits Sony site and sees that Sony has listed "FK" as an "authorized online seller". 2 weeks later, he buys a Sony TV from FK. In the interim, Sony "decides" FK is no longer an authorized seller for its products (this actually happened during the FK sale). End result - potential buyers don't know where they stand with warranties on products bought during the interim period.

There need to be some clear cut guide lines established that make online retailers (1st party or otherwise) somehow liable for the Warranty status they "claim" the product has. Simply stating "Item carries 'X' years Manufacturers Warranty" is pointless if the manufacturer is not willing to honor it. Not sure if this is possible but if it could be achieved then it would go a long way in making buyers more comfortable when it comes to buying such items online..

Rickyk

Skilled
Jan 18, 2007
@Rickyk, Amazon India is completely different than its US counterpart in terms of behaviour, Slow Shipping is my one of the main gripes from Amazon India. I'm accustomed to FK/WSRetail fast shipping :)

I agree.

Then again, I honestly don't think FK is any better. For example, I ordered an item earlier today on FK (WS Retail is the seller).

2 hours later I got a message saying the item is "shipped". Brilliant so far right?

Then I get an email stating although the item has shipped, it will take 8 days to reach me due to "Diwali" rush. 8 days?! WTH?

Snapdeal is even more hilarious. Ordered an item from them. 5 days later, I login to Snapdeal to check where my item has reached. In the "status" I see will be shipped in another 2 days! So they want 7 days before they will decide to ship an item and possibly 10-12 days before it finally reaches me? I cancelled the order and mentioned why in their "survey and feedback" form. Dolts.

Compare this to Amazon UK where items order from them even at times like Christmas which is PEAK SEASON in the EU takes 5-7 days in TOTAL via Royal Mail (or Deutsche Post) to reach me all the way from the UK to India. Just look at the distance covered in comparison.

Its ridiculous how bad Indian online retailers delivery logistics are in comparison.

And no, I will not sign up for Flipkart First (or whatever its called). Why should I have to? If Amazon can deliver something to me all the way from the UK to Indian in under 7 days then am I being unrealistic to expect our Indian retailers to offer a baseline 4-6 days (in total) for standard delivery within India (at least to Tier 1 cities) regardless of whether there's seasonal rush or not...?

Last edited: