First cable-net connection (HNS): need help setting up wifi

yes, HNS. but no use of this bossy-bump in speed. torrent downloading at the usual speed. :meh:[DOUBLEPOST=1439320669][/DOUBLEPOST]@Mr.J - speeds varying. with Mumbai server, the speeds are what's shown in my earlier post. with server as New Delhi, DL-speed is ~14 Mbps and UL-speed is ~25 Mbps, and with server at London, DL-speed is ~8 Mbps and UL-speed is ~14 Mbps.

torrent-download speed is normal, while http download speeds have increased and are touching 3.5 Mbps. :)

Last edited:
thanks!
that was easy! this was the step that i had missed earlier. i had earlier just enabled 'MAC cloning' in the router-settings, and had left 'get current PC MAC address' left untouched (not knowing what it was). however, reading this page here

http://www.linksys.com/au/support-article?articleNum=142912

and then the underlined part of your post, i enabled that, and the router got a WAN IP and wifi started working almost instantly!

also, reading posts by 'mgcarley' and 'VinceB' here, i had decided to call the ISP tomorrow to release the MAC-binding, but not needed.

for anyone else who might land here sometime or the other, this is what i did (may help; DDWRT screens below):

net through LAN most probably would work for you just 'out of the box', but setting up wifi initially may confuse you, so....

- first using ethernet/LAN itself, set up the prerequisites on the router-page (@ 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or whatever). go to 'set-up'>>'basic set-up', enter the username-pword given by the ISP....then check 'advanced settings', and enter the 'service-name' as 'hns', as shown below

SZDFkGpl.jpg

click on 'apply settings' and 'save' at the bottom

- then go to 'MAC address clone' under 'set-up', and 'enable' it if disabled, plus click on 'get current PC MAC address'.

DdqKGNIl.jpg

click on 'apply settings' and 'save' at the bottom

- reboot your router (remotely or manually), disconnect from the LAN session on your PC and enable wifi after a few seconds, and lo!

P.S. - you should get to see the WAN IP on the top right corner (hidden by a red bar as in the screens above) if successful.

@zapout

@dheerajjotwani - configured fine? anything else? :)
Hi read your post
I do have similar problem
My router is tp link 740n v4
Flashed exact dd wrt
Pppoe connection
Username then password put
Advance..... hns... Mine too same honesty
In clone Mac.... Clicked get this pc Mac
Applied setting
But still no wan ip 0000 only
What went wrong?
Then I revert back to tp link stock firmware
Got Internet again

I tried many things but no wan ip on dd wrt

Hi read your post
I do have similar problem
My router is tp link 740n v4
Flashed exact dd wrt
Pppoe connection
Username then password put
Advance..... hns... Mine too same honesty
In clone Mac.... Clicked get this pc Mac
Applied setting
But still no wan ip 0000 only
What went wrong?
Then I revert back to tp link stock firmware
Got Internet again

I tried many things but no wan ip on dd wrt

be mindful to clone the mac id of the pc which you have connected through LAN cable only, not of a laptop that's connected through wifi. then call the ISP and ask them to release/renew your mac addr. your connection should be back up then.

be mindful to clone the mac id of the pc which you have connected through LAN cable only, not of a laptop that's connected through wifi. then call the ISP and ask them to release/renew your mac addr. your connection should be back up then.
My laptop Mac is already registered with mini pppoe broadband connection since year. Also I was using tp link stock firmware earlier without any problem
Problem happened when I flashed dd wrt connected to laptop through cable only switching off wifi of laptop.
Dd wrt was not detecting Wan ip
Then I reverted back to tp link stock firmware and again it detected Wan ip Internet connection without issue.

One question to you
In dd wrt
Mac clone
Wan Mac.... I clicked get this pc Mac
Then what about second option
Wireless Mac....... It should be left same?????

In tp link stock firmware things are different
Mac clone
Wan Mac......
Pc Mac.....
In that pc Mac you cannot change
In Wan Mac when you click clone pc Mac
Both become same....... And you get connection

While dd wrt is different

Second question
If my pc mac is already registered... Why should I call isp to release /renew... When I flash dd wrt

When I revert back to tp link stock firmware Internet comes so no need to release /renew

And local guy who sets router.... As you know they are third party..... Don't even know dd wrt

may be try with a stabler/better version if ddwrt then. the isp guy who had come at my place for connection seemed familiar with ddwrt. yes you clone only pc mac; leave wireless mac cloning. you could ask the isp to release the mac when you ddwrt next time again and then immediately clone yiur pc mac again and see if that helps. cant recall very much and cant see too now as am out of the country for some days. try asking for some technician from there familiar with ddwrt and see if he can resolve the issue. let us know how it goes.

Thnx
Found my problem
I almost gave up after few days messup
But found solution ultimately
Everything I done right
Presently I done a lot reading about dd wrt
Dd wrt wiki says you should over read and have plenty of patience
Done hard reset 30-30-30 before and after dd wrt flash
Done power cycling before and after router
Done ipconfig /release and renew
Each step waited for 2-5 minute
But no joy

Then just gave a phone call to isp
And viola!!
He said you r ip adress changed and he will update the same
Within seconds Wan took the ip[DOUBLEPOST=1447945561][/DOUBLEPOST]Anyone using pppoe connection cable Internet and flashing dd wrt make sure to call isp as flashing different firmware changes your ip

Can you please tell me some tweaks.... My bandwidth provided is 512 kpbs

may be try with a stabler/better version if ddwrt then. the isp guy who had come at my place for connection seemed familiar with ddwrt. yes you clone only pc mac; leave wireless mac cloning. you could ask the isp to release the mac when you ddwrt next time again and then immediately clone yiur pc mac again and see if that helps. cant recall very much and cant see too now as am out of the country for some days. try asking for some technician from there familiar with ddwrt and see if he can resolve the issue. let us know how it goes.
Thanks for your advice to call the ISP to release the ip adress
Presently using watchdog feature to ping google
Periodic reboot
Which helped a lot and now my cable Internet is very much stable and usable, otherwise earlier it was usless as it was frequently disconnecting
Any more tweaks if anyone knows please let me know
TX power... I don't require as signal strength is ok
And Qos also I don't think is usable to me as I am having only 512 kpbs bandwidth

I saw this issue with Seven Star as well - they said they keep the connection open. If you change the router, and thus MAC without disconnecting - you will not be able to connect even with new router with same MAC. Since I was short on time, I deployed the new wireless AP's [Microtik Metal's] with the old Belkin router and went back later to fix up this issue.

However, I found the answer sketchy as hell - seems like a bug. Why would an ISP keep the connection open even with loss of power on other end? Seems like a bug and all are using the same PPPoE server?

Another point to make - my friend in Sanpada, Navi Mumbai has gotten hold of Mach 1 broadband or something - 1K per month, 100GB @ 100 Mbps FUP then 4 Mbps. He was getting about 4-10Mbps speeds on speedtest from US, 100Mbps speeds from a Mach1 speedtest site (he feel for the trick/scam/whatever - in spite of being a Cisco certified - sheesh), 4-6 MBps on torrents - thanks to the 10.254.240.X network of torbox - Need to check and confirm if this is torrent caching on individual ISP basis or peering for all ISPs in Mumbai/MH/Western region?

@pratzgh1 @Superbad @avi @SoulFire @Neo-N Yeah - thats our mutual friend. Sorta.

That 10.254.240.x is an isp independent torbox network and it's not mutually connected AFAIK. Just that some peers worldwide get connected without any speed cap and stuff gets stored on the torbox servers to be used over again and again.

Back