User Guides Firewall Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
THIS WAS ON MY BLOG AND I M POSTING IT HERE. THIS HAS NO SOURCES AND IT HAS BEEN WRITTEN BY ME.
:bleh:

For L4M3RS, a firewall is a program that (in crude terms) protects you from all the malicious codes on the Internet nowadays. If you ask the question, What if my Computer doesnt have one? Ill say, Your a bleeding man in a sea full of sharks. The internet is the shark and you are the man. Be safe, Be Protected.

After the introduction, lets come to the topic, the no. of firewalls from different companies available today..well i havent counted them but take it as qutie a few. But the thing is, 1)Are all of them useful? 2)Are They What a First Time PC User Would like ?. Well, the answer is a big giant "NO".

Well my mission this week to find the one firewall that would do what its supposed to do and be friendly as well.

I took 5 Major Firewalls for my tests:-
1) Zone Alarm (The One I was Happy with b4 the test happened)
2) Kapersky Firewall (The One for the professionals, or as i thought)..
3) Sygate Security Firewall (Open gate!!)
4) Norton Internet Security
5) Mcafee Internet Firewall

Well except Mcafee all of the above come at a cost(which is not worth). Only Mcafee is free and that gives an immediate lead in the race.

I tested them on 1)Security, 2)Usability, 3)Computer resources used

1) According to what Ive heard, for Security, the Windows XP SP2 Firewall is the best. But I think its utterly wrong. The SP2 Firewall is not updated and the new worms that come thru daily might affect it. On security basis, The Zone Alarm and The Mcafee did a very nice job. Kapersky and Sygate were not far behind but the only problem was that they had far lot of Internet Attacks which made me think if the firewalls were hoaxing them, Rest did it fine, I didnt notice any major differences. Ran a few security tests on the Internet, most of the firewalls did fine and at this point you can go with any.

2) The Most Important Segment according to me because a firewall is not only for Novices, they are for greenhorns as well. Mcafee beat the hell out of everything here. It needs very less setup to be done, its like a self-automated machine. Sygate followed Mcafee as it was also user-friendly but its GUI wasnt that attractive. Zone-Alarm and Norton troubled alot. They were interferring everywhere, between my games, during my toilet break, they were hell. But there was one more, Kapersky .. The Worst in this category.. Believe you me.. you dont want Kapersky for this. It Suckedddd Harddd. Be Careful.

Well till now Mcafee is leading. Its Free, It does it job brilliantly. Lets See .

3) "Norton Ate My Ram"-Udit Agarwal,
Its true. Norton took all of my computer resources. It ate 100 mb out of my 512 mb ram..
Made my computer damn slow. No, Bad Norton..
Rest were okay, Mcafee beat everyone here too.

So the winner by far is Mcafee. I'd like to thank my friend Vishal Kadakia.. for showing me something as beautiful as Mcafee.

Well except Mcafee all of the above come at a cost(which is not worth). Only Mcafee is free and that gives an immediate lead in the race.

AFAIK, McAfee has no free firewall. Could you please provide a link to this?

As ZoneAlarm (i assume NON-pro) was part of you test, i fail to understand why you have not included this within your "free firewall" category.

Or have you mixed up the 2 ?

this article is not that indepth, it was just to bring out that mcafee is the best firewall. all the firewalls used except mcafee were pro.

arudit said:
this article is not that indepth, it was just to bring out that mcafee is the best firewall. all the firewalls used except mcafee were pro.

Pro, in the sense, ______?
That implies that all firewalls were pro and Macaffee was not pro, which blatantly contradicts your guide... :p

hi,

therez one thing i wont agree, kaspersky sucks.....see kaspersky is very user friendly and can be customised to ur needs. mcafee, what he has tested seems to be mcafeee desktop firewall ver 8.5. this FW is NOT FREE and i donot know how he claims its free...need some clarity in this report of his..so arudit, better give some answers as to what tests, what enviroment, etc..see dude even i test firewalls and dont conclude to a conclusion untill there is a justification..so proove something..

hi nikhil,

i think hez simply run online port scans frm many firewall scanning sites. i think arudits results are very inconclusive, i dont see anything in this whole claim of his and i donot agree that kaspersky sucks, infact i would have agreed on norton sucks as every1 on TE would agree as well.

arudit has used mcafee desktop firewall ver 8.5, which he claims is free, infact i have tried looking for it on the oficial mcafee site and found out its a paid firewall software and therefore, i guess if hez found it FREE, its gotta be a trial.

he mentioned sygate, and he hasnot yet prooved why he discarded sygate amongst the best, infact it is highly rated and he has not tried pc-cilin and trend micro.

infact, even i test firewalls on my system and have tried every available in the market but havent discarded any of them without any justifiations.

oops, something interesting, on asking arudit on google talk, why dont u conclude what u started, he replied, i have lost my password and i donot wish to find it even fi i could retrive it.

I came to know about how bad you guys needed answers of my post. I ve been busy these days and dont really have time to rectify things. However i would post a follow-up to this article.. I would write a better one, with all of your answers included. I request the mod to please take lock this thread. I would post my second article about firewalls on sunday.. Please no more criticism.. i have had enough of it. Ill put a new one with better details.. I Apologise for leaving this as incomplete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back