Firefox Gets File-Sharing Extension

dipdude

Skilled
A new Firefox extension has been debuted that incorporates peer-to-peer capabilities into the browser via a sidebar. AllPeers "combines the strength of Firefox and the efficiency of BitTorrent" to add media sharing to the long list of available extensions.

Created by British-American-Czech software developer Matthew Gertner, the AllPeers extension uses a taskpanel approach rather than a dialogue box.

"The heart of AllPeers is the Navigator, a sidebar that provides rapid access to all the information managed by AllPeers. Since AllPeers is by nature an extensible platform, the Navigator needs to be extensible as well. That's why you see the buttons at the bottom for changing the view ("My Peers" and "My Media")," reads the AllPeers website.

For further details & screenshots click here.

Official blog

p.s - the server seems to down(or already taken down :no: ), anyway i am posting the links.

Sorry, the good news is that we have been slashdotted...
The bad news is that our server is down...

Please come back later !

We apologize for the trouble.
that's what i get on the site. Looking forward to trying to it though.

Use IRC... few feds etc on that...

But the simple fact is that a secure P2P is not possible in that sense.. because if the FBI/ESA/RIAA/Warner Bros just sets up a computer with tasty files on it, you will try to connect to it and ask it for a dld via your P2P - and then they know your IP, from which they can get your address etc.

I'll stay away from 'hot' releases atleast while I'm in the residence halls as thats where the evil empire always looks for scapegoats.Every month they send out thousands of these nasty mails,primarily to college students as the universities are easily coerced into compliance.

What if the empire attacks the IRC channel I'm using ,then they would have my address too,wouldn't they?

Yes usenet is secure but it isn't free and so inherently less fun.

what perhaps is needed is a push towards independant film-making where perhaps one doesn't have the high fliers (as in actors) but do have enough content & can be peered. Methinks they (the independent guys) are highly underrated. As far as secure anonymous p2p there are lots of people dreaming it up with some kind of hash algorithim or something. There have been few interesting proposals but nothing which has made to proof of concept yet. The last I heard was around couple of months would check back & let u know guys sometime soon.

did anybody get an invitation from allpeers to test their application beta?

allpeers is rolling out its invites for registered beta testers in phases.

i got an invite 2days back. but its an invitation to signup for the download. it said itl send me the download link and activation key in the coming days.

so anyone IN with me?

even opera was supposed to launch its' 9th version with integrated BT facility......but its' almost 8 months since the news........
i wish for this to happen quickly...

AllPeers released a beta Thursday of what it called the most ambitious Firefox extension to date, a peer-to-peer application that would allow friends and family to share files and content between one another in a private setting.

Unlike the major P2P networks, AllPeers allows the sharing of files securely and privately.

The application has been released on Firefox's extensions Web site, and is compatible with Windows, Mac OS and Linux. The AllPeers backend uses BitTorrent in combination with what is calls a "darknet," where the computer user will remain anonymous while transferring files.

Read More here

I've installed the beta and it looks awesome. great work.

need some contacts though :p

Back