Firefox 6.0

Re: Ff 6.0

are they nuts?? FF 4 was released some 6~7 months back, then 5 and now 6... whats the hurry?

why don't they just release revisions or sub versions instead and fix all bugs of any one version...

FF5 takes almost 5~6 sec to launch whereas chrome takes less than a sec. I loved FF till FF3, and i still remember those days when FF 1.x.x stayed for almost 2 yrs before FF 2. was released.

I get this:Thanks for your interest in Firefox 4

Thanks for your interest in Firefox 6

We aren't quite finished qualifying Firefox 6 yet. You should check out the latest Beta.

When we're all done with Firefox 6 it will show up on Firefox.com.

well, as long as they fix the memory problems, and continue supporting extensions and all the stuff i like about it, i don't care whatever they call it.

dOm1naTOr said:
are they nuts?? FF 4 was released some 6~7 months back, then 5 and now 6... whats the hurry?

why don't they just release revisions or sub versions instead and fix all bugs of any one version...

FF5 takes almost 5~6 sec to launch whereas chrome takes less than a sec. I loved FF till FF3, and i still remember those days when FF 1.x.x stayed for almost 2 yrs before FF 2. was released.

Mozilla has moved to a rapid release cycle.... New versions releasing every few months...

Mozilla Releases Firefox 5, Firefox 6 Into The Wild | Skatter Tech

Memory issues have improved

But its requires little more tinkering

Earlier my 600 MB + was stuck in FF

Now after closing tabs comes to 300 MB +

Thats a improvement for me atleast

7 is scheduled for september 27 :chair: i didnt see any changes in version 6 except the logo change and some add on incompatibility. Don't see why mozilla is hurrying the updates.

They are now doing chrome style rapid release cycles. Maybe wanted to catchup chrome's ver 13 (or 14 was it) for some reason. Anyway, until the startup time improvement, memory handling improvement and full addon support from 3.6 is realized, these version numbers can be frsutrating for long time firefox uses who are used to getting a lot of stuff with a version upgrade.

kris_one said:
They are now doing chrome style rapid release cycles. Maybe wanted to catchup chrome's ver 13 (or 14 was it) for some reason. Anyway, until the startup time improvement, memory handling improvement and full addon support from 3.6 is realized, these version numbers can be frsutrating for long time firefox uses who are used to getting a lot of stuff with a version upgrade.

Ya, first when they came out with version 5 very soon after 4, felt it was to jump into the HTML5 bandwagon, FF5 & HTML5 = makes for good ad stuff too, but now i feel that they want to do chrome style release cycles.

Updated to 6.0 .... Many addons are not working but that's natural since its suppose to be officially released on 16th Aug. But the memory usage is somewhat optimized. The lag of version 5.0 is greatly reduced. That was the most annoying thing about earlier version.

Official Firefox 6 Is Now Available

Source : Official Firefox 6 Is Now Available - Softpedia

Mozilla has launched Firefox 6, the latest update to the popular web browser. While a pre-release build of Firefox 6 was made available last week, the real, official Firefox 6 has just now been released. Coming six weeks after Firefox 5, the latest update brings several new features, better performance and fixed bugs, but don't expect anything groundbreaking.

Web developers are in for a treat with Firefox 6, as the browser debuts several tools and features aimed squarely at them.

"The new 'Web Developer' menu in Firefox provides easy access to tools that help developers build and debug websites directly in the browser," Mozilla writes.

"Developers will enjoy the new Scratchpad tool, which makes it simple to quickly enter, execute, test and refine JavaScript snippets in Firefox without needing to work in a one-line console," it adds.

"The Web Console is improved with an auto-complete feature and the ability to customize the console’s location to save developers time," Mozilla said providing a run-down of developer-oriented updates.

One change that regular users will notice, is the redesigned site identity block. The UI element, which highlights whether your connecting to a website via an encrypted connection, is now bigger and easier to spot.

The domain of a website is now highlighted making it easier to distinguish in a long URL.

If you're a Panorama user, you'll be glad to know that Firefox 6 now starts up faster, since it only loads Panorama groups that are active and selected.

Under the hood, Firefox 6 re-introduces support for the Websockets protocol which was removed earlier due to some inherent security issues. The protocol has been redesigned and major browsers are supporting it again.

Web developers should also note that Firefox 6 supports the <progress> element, which, as the name implies, provides a visual way of tracking file uploads, data processing, and any other action that is 'in progress.

Back