Security Software fighting with Virus without aNTI-vIRUS

Hi guys ,
the reason for opening a thread like this is to get some tips from advance window users.
It has been long time since my computer started working as i wish it should be.
Whenver i click on my computer computer takes hell lot of time to display the different drives.
I have installed process explorer to find which process is taking maximum resource but could able to understand it.

Let come together to discuss the way to avoid such behavior .

I know its difficult but at the end of the day we will learn something.

use sysinternals suite, especially autoruns, process explorer and tcp view are really useful. its good tool to remove unwanted things from startup, make changes to windows logon and program associations.
its free.

*****careful, wrong usage may lead to problematic OS***** ;)

Finally i came across 100% full proof solution to avoid virus.

My frend using this trick from last 2 year and not yet suffered from any virus.

HE is not using anti spyware ,anti mal ware program.

I will provide you a full proof solution .

I have downloaded a software called deep freeze.

The software freezes your operating system drive.

I have freezed my c: .Whenever i surf net or do any kind of activity which is prone to virus ,all i need to do is restart my window to get back to original stage.

Do share your views if you like my POST.

You can ask any queries regarding the software.

pinga123 said:
Finally i came across 100% full proof solution to avoid virus.

My frend using this trick from last 2 year and not yet suffered from any virus.

HE is not using anti spyware ,anti mal ware program.

I will provide you a full proof solution .

I have downloaded a software called deep freeze.

The software freezes your operating system drive.

I have freezed my c: .Whenever i surf net or do any kind of activity which is prone to virus ,all i need to do is restart my window to get back to original stage.

Do share your views if you like my POST.

You can ask any queries regarding the software.

Hi,

This is an old solution and is normally preferred by people when their OS as well as Program Content don't changes much.

Remember when you want to install any apps/games, you have to disable deep freeze again

If you are so much concerned about security while surfing the Internet, why not try Browser Sandbox: Sandboxie - Sandbox software for application isolation and secure Web browsing

You can also try: QFX Download

:)

pinga123 said:
Whenver i click on my computer computer takes hell lot of time to display the different drives.
Follow these step.. I'm sure your My Computer will load faster.. :)
Open My Computer
Click Tools > Folder Options > View Tab
Uncheck the box that says "Automatically search for network folders and printers"
Click OK.

mrintech said:
Hi,

This is an old solution and is normally preferred by people when their OS as well as Program Content don't changes much.

Remember when you want to install any apps/games, you have to disable deep freeze again

If you are so much concerned about security while surfing the Internet, why not try Browser Sandbox: Sandboxie - Sandbox software for application isolation and secure Web browsing

You can also try: QFX Download

:)

What about the virus or threats comming thrue removable media.

ultimabasher said:
Deep freeze doesnt help much cause you sometime end up installing or downloading something and then losing it with a pc restart.
NOt completely true .I have installed virtual box 3 on my c drive .within virtual box i have created a windows xp whos hard disk image resides in d drive . Whenever i want to install any games or software .I install them in virtual box's xp operating system.In this way i can test them well.I has one very interesting feature of taking snapshot (which works in simillar fashion as that of system restore or any other savepoint software)..

By doing this I think i have made my computer virus proof .If any 1 feels there is any loop hole or vulnerability in my system Do post here.

This thread might help others to deal with viruses .

Krazzy Warrior said:
Follow these step.. I'm sure your My Computer will load faster.. :)
Open My Computer
Click Tools > Folder Options > View Tab
Uncheck the box that says "Automatically search for network folders and printers"
Click OK.
that was indeed very helpful .

I have a 100% working regimen:

1. Common sense
2. Common sense
3. Common sense
4. Don't connect any removable drives that aren't yours and don't connect your removable drives to any computer that isn't yours.
The above set of rules have helped me get by without any anti-virus/anti-spyware software for the past 10 years.
The only time I have had a virus threat was when I was stupid enough to break rule #4.

The above set of rules have helped me get by without any anti-virus/anti-spyware software for the past 10 years.
The only time I have had a virus threat was when I was stupid enough to break rule #4.
What about threats from internet?

pinga123 said:
What about threats from internet?
That's where common sense comes in.

I realise the removable drive code wouldn't be practical for some, but you did ask to be safe from viruses without using any sort of AV whatsoever.

saumilsingh said:
That's where common sense comes in.

I realize the removable drive code wouldn't be practical for some, but you did ask to be safe from viruses without using any sort of AV whatsoever.

Please read my post I m doing every possible act that can cause your system suffer from viruses but with my strategy still not affected by any sort of infection.

saumilsingh said:

1. Common sense
2. Common sense
3. Common sense
4. Don't connect any removable drives that aren't yours and don't connect your removable drives to any computer that isn't yours.

I used to follow the same rules, one day my friend comes over connects his pen drive and BOOM, my pc is infected.

I use comodo these days.

This is what i do on my pc.

1. Disable autorun for removable drives

Disable autorun autoplay via group policy

2. Every time you open Removable drive, always use folder explorer.

do not double click on Removable drive icon, as this will run autorun programs.

in case of if there is a virus/trojan on usb drive it will execute on infect your system.

3. Put you windows firewall in completely restricted mode. means do not allow any program to communication though network. Once you do that firewall will prompt for program that want to access network. then you can decide weather it's actually required.

4. Install anti virus/spay ware, i use Microsoft Security Essential. Make sure it's updated,

disable it real time protection. so that your system do not get slow down. But most of the browser & download manager now a days support to have virus scan after you download some file. do periodic virus scan or schedule complete system virus scan.

5. if you are downloading using torrent. do scan of the files & then only use it.

6. Common sense, if you see any unwanted executable in process list. check for it.

This way you do install anti virus, but it will be in completely silent, only scan files on demand.

Word of caution

Since anti virus, real time protection is off, double check before executing any program from removable drives.

saumilsingh said:
1. Common sense
2. Common sense
3. Common sense

pinga123 said:
You think this is practical?

Well, Yes.. He is correct 101%.. I am not using any anti-virus since 3-4 years and my pc still runs like makhaan.. :p Just don't watch those *cough* things on net, and rest everything is fine.. :p

jigarpatel said:
This is what i do on my pc.
1. Disable autorun for removable drives
Disable autorun autoplay via group policy
Well, I just press SHIFT key to suppress autorun when I insert a USB drive..
Then Explore to access the contents of the drive. This is a action that u should always keep in mind every time you insert an USB drive... :)

Back