Video FHD 1080p (black bar issue)

Need more info to answer your question.
1- is the full HD rip actually of 1920 x1080 size?
2- what are you using to watch the movie? Pc monitor or TV?

That because the movie even though its 1080p was shot in wider aspect ratio such as 2.35:1 or more where as the broadcast films,soaps are shot in 1:78 ratio.

Including the two black bars the resolution will be 1080p.

Need more info to answer your question.
1- is the full HD rip actually of 1920 x1080 size?
2- what are you using to watch the movie? Pc monitor or TV?

agree, check source.. video resolution 1920*800 is also common

That because the movie even though its 1080p was shot in wider aspect ratio such as 2.35:1 or more where as the broadcast films,soaps are shot in 1:78 ratio.

Including the two black bars the resolution will be 1080p.

absolutely!

Download a Bluray copy (usually 40+ GB) and watch it in full HD tv for awesome experience. :)

@takemein in : what if the source is 1920*800 on the blu ray?

Movies for some reason are shot in 2.35:1 ratio. I am not sure why. Maybe the screen in theaters are of this ratio.
The usual TV dimensions are of 16:9 ratio(some monitors maybe in 16:10 ratio) no matter what the resolution is. So most of the movies will have blac bars, irrespective of the blue ray format, size of the rips etc. Its just the source is shot in that ratio.

You can increase the vertical height to fill the entire screen. TVs might have this options. All media players will certainly have this option. But that will stretch the image vertically and looks weird.

Some movies shot on certain cameras will have complete 1920x1080 format(few outdoor scenes in dark knight). They will take up your complete screen.

What others said. The aspect ratio is different.

TDK and TDKR has some scenes which will fill up entire screen while other scenes will have black bars due to change in aspect ratio.

Scenes which I can remember off the top of my head are:
TDK bank robbery (opening)
Hong Kong
Truck chase
Climax

TDKR has Opening, Bane vs Batman fights and Climax in fullscreen.

There was a similar thread a few months back. Linking my post.

TV shows are shot in a 16:9 (1.78:1) aspect ratio. Movies are shot in various ratios including 1.78:1, 2.4:1, 1.85:1, etc. So when they are released on Bluray (meant to be watched at 1.78:1 on your TV/monitor), they can either be modified to 1.78:1 or shown with black bars on either side and retain their original aspect ratio.

If a movie was shot in 2.4:1 and the width is kept constant, 1080p*(1.78/2.4) = 800p of actual image.

What others said. The aspect ratio is different.

TDK and TDKR has some scenes which will fill up entire screen while other scenes will have black bars due to change in aspect ratio.

Scenes which I can remember off the top of my head are:
TDK bank robbery (opening)
Hong Kong
Truck chase
Climax

TDKR has Opening, Bane vs Batman fights and Climax in fullscreen.

Those are IMAX format. ! its the way the movie was shot.
the once which fills up the screen are shot with IMAX cameras.

Those are IMAX format. ! its the way the movie was shot.
the once which fills up the screen are shot with IMAX cameras.
Actually no, IMAX format has much different ratio. It is 'taller' format compared to other cinematic formats.

Images for comparison. Width is same (1920) for both the images.

IMAX Intro:
Gj46GCP.jpg

TDK Bank Robbery
ycbkbzL.jpg

Please note the difference between the two aspect ratio.

Back