Car & Bike Few questions regarding Diesel Hatch

medpal

Resident Medic
Skilled
Need to buy a Small car for wife and family, will be driven in city and occassional outside trip.

Looking at Diesel as escalating costs of Petrol and also cost and maintainance of Retrofitting CNG is now not attractive and also CNG costs are going spiralling northwards.

My options are

Swift (Old but nice, only hitch I see is bit wider and wife feels uncomfortable driving it)

Ritz (fresh design, nice interiors, good driving position, wife sceptical about shape but I love it)

Micra (I am not interested in it as maintainance and service issues need long term presence.

Figo (So many people praise it but I have seen people cursing Ford after sometime)

Polo (Nice build, good brand, but costly not on my list)

i10 (is diesel available? there were rumours about being available, there is one 1.1 litre IRDE model on website is it diesel or other one)
Any other choices remaining?

My shortlist shootout is Ritz V/s Swift with more leaning towards Ritz would like to have opinions of people here.

you seem to have cut out all options, yourself and narrowed down to the obvious choices

the beat diesel will be out in a week....... check it out

else the ritz is a good car

Beat Diesel is supposed to give 25Kmpl if Previews and tds are true.. SO wait for it..

And beat has Great interiors.. Except for the Back...

having used the swift for 2 years, i feel that is the best car to go for.. do not quite like the shape of ritz..

kauzy said:
having used the swift for 2 years, i feel that is the best car to go for.. do not quite like the shape of ritz..

I am also confused between choices, apart from Shape is there any negetive for Ritz. Interior wise it seems superior to Swift and also driving position is better.

swift is still the best diesel hatch out there, if you can surpass the fact that its been there for sometime and is not fresh...

If you cannot stretch your budget you can also look for mahindra verito a.k.a the logan.
The build quality and dated interiors are vfm.
Else you have the swift but i hate the way it looks.

wait for beat...nice looks, very efficient, perfect for family of 4, sporty looks, small size & fun to drive...your wife will definitely love it. :)

medpal said:
I am also confused between choices, apart from Shape is there any negetive for Ritz. Interior wise it seems superior to Swift and also driving position is better.
i feel both are almost the same.. regarding the interiors, ritz might be on the upper-hand because it is relatively new.. so cannot comment on it.. regarding engine, haven't driven the diesel ritz, but petrol seemed too slow for me.. or might be coz i was addicted to the turbocharged swift diesel.. :p

the car will run 30kms a day daily day in and day out, and also some weekend trips occassionally.

Petrol burns a hole in city traffic.

Converting to CNG is an option but the car performance kinda dies and also you lose the bootspace completely. Plus initially luring customers to CNG now the suppliers are increasing the prices of fuel.

Thats why diesel.

@Kauzy and rest all thanks for the inputs.

I will wait for the Beat, will start my TD next week or so.

Heard Swift New version in pipeline, but cant wait that long.

i doubt the extra cost ull pay for diesel(1-1.5 lakhs) would cover the difference over a period of time considering u drive about 30 kms a day, it would take u aout 5 yrs to cover it, by then u'll anyway be ready to upgrade..unless ur a guy who would keep the car for the next 20 yrs or so..

also, the pertrol versions generally run smoother and are easy on the engines not to mention the enviorment :p

Hey new Swift is around the corner and I heard that dealerships started booking for new Swift. Nothing like Swift Turbojet Diesel. ;)

I would either suggest you to wait for the Beat or get the Swift !! nothing to beat it ;) the best handling and the best secondhand value ( if you want to sell it )

diesel hatch and not a mention of punto by anyone?

that is like a drivers delight to have in this budget..

although do check fiat aftersales quality in your area before considering this.

salluks said:
i doubt the extra cost ull pay for diesel(1-1.5 lakhs) would cover the difference over a period of time considering u drive about 30 kms a day, it would take u aout 5 yrs to cover it, by then u'll anyway be ready to upgrade..unless ur a guy who would keep the car for the next 20 yrs or so..
also, the pertrol versions generally run smoother and are easy on the engines not to mention the enviorment :p

My cars stay with for 7/8 years in general, no major accidents in my life with me or any other family members, no abuse, considering that I would stay with diesel, this new car will become a workhorse in city while I also have another big car for family trips which runs on Petrol as it does not run much :D

Thanks for the opinions people, will update what I find here.

Back