Feedback required: Video game rental ideas

abhi.eternal

Disciple
Hi guys. First a small prelude.

Many of us love video games but cannot afford to buy the latest titles due to their high prices. So we have decided to invest from our profits from a separate business (please excuse the spartan look of the website, it is being redesigned) and bring a tear of joy to all you tight-pocketed gamers out there.

We are planning to launch a video game rental service - for the gamers, by some gamers! Initially we are planning to offer PS3 games but with time, we will get PS4 games as well and support other platforms depending on the demand.

Following is the draft we have drawn so far:

1. Top games will be available based on Metacritic and forum user reviews.
2. Single player games will be given preference as mutiplayer will need users to buy online passes.
3. Mutiplayer games will be made available if it has an engaging single player mode and depending on user demand.
4. User will need to deposit an initial amount equal to the retail price of the game which will be fully refundable - we actually didn't want to do this but this is to protect our business against fraud.
5. User can rent a game for 5 days minimum @ INR 300. The time will be counted from the day courier updates package as delivered till the time user has the disc; delivery and return time will not be considered.
6. User can keep a game for more than 5 days by paying INR 50 for each extra day.
7. Tracked courier service will be used for delivery and returns; it will be prepaid by us. *We already have a contact with our current courier service provider so this should not be a concern or we may need to find other alternatives*
8. Once the disc is returned, the owed amount will be deducted from the deposited amount and the balance will be refunded. However, if the user wishes to rent another title, he/she can pay the owed amount and get another disc. The balance in user's account needs to be equal to the retail price of the game user wants to rent next.
9. Over time, loyalty points will be introduced so that user does not have to deposit the full price - he/she may be given full or partial exemption on the deposit amount.
10. Any damage or loss will be recovered from the deposited amount. We will test the discs systematically to ensure playability at all times.

Now, this is just a draft of our plans. We will appreciate your feedback on our ideas so that you can get the best experience. We are planning to launch the service in the next month after making sure that we will be able to make the gaming community a happier place.

This has been posted on multiple forums to get best feedback possible so that we can provide you the best service.

I would like to add one more point to your agenda - buying used games. That way, you can also kill two birds with one stone - existing gamers who may want to sell out, and you get a game cheap, plus others can try it out. Yeah, there might be some niggles, but you can work them out.

Also, this game should be amortized in the form of equivalent gaming points which the seller can use to get more games - to avoid misuse.

And finally, this might be useful - you must have the ability to gift the games.

@vivek.krishnan: Thanks for the ideas. Will consider them.

@vantheman5211: Actually, I found that thread but it lead to a dead end. I think that guy did not continue. Though his idea was somewhat similar, it's not easy to run an online business. As we are already doing it, we can say this from personal experience - logistics is a nightmare!

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of restricting the user to just 5 days, why don't you let them keep it as long as they want. You anyway have the security deposit. Charge them a one-time fee of 300-400. After they return the first game, they can then rent another game. Reason being: Some single player games are long and people who go to work get time to play these games only during the weekends or late at night...

@indy1811: I assume you are suggesting a subscription model. This will need some work to implement. In the start, we are thinking of 'pay as you go' model and as time goes, we will introduce other plans. About the 5 days limitation, most probably this will be internally discussed. We will try to come up with a solution which benefits both our customers and us :)

I thought I forgot to add the link! Will not add again. If anyone is interested to know about which business our investment money is coming from, please PM me. My intension was not advertising and the link was only given for verification purposes!

Back