Storage Solutions External SATA HDD casing

RiO

Skilled
I'm in the market for an external SATA HDD casing for one of my Seagate 320GB 7200.10 hard drives. I'm looking for a high quality case like Eazy's Vantec I remember seeing last year. It doesn't have to be an eSATA casing because the M1330 does not support eSATA.

Any recommendations with current pricing will be appreciated - thanks! :)

The Vantec eSATA case can also be connected with a USB2 cable, this is how I am using it at the moment. I dont know if these Vantec eSATA cases are still available, check with APEX or Prime.

Thanks Eazy, I'll look for a Vantec dealer locally... any others you've come across recently? I mentioned that I didn't necessarily want an eSATA casing because I assume eSATA cases are more expensive - if there is no cost difference, it doesn't matter what it supports so long as there is USB connectivity :)

There was a write up of another make of eSATA case available in India in either Digit or CHIP about 6 months back but before I could scan it the mag was thrown out, I cannot remember the brand name of that case, it was cheaper than the Vantec. :(

Isnt there an Antec eSATA case available from theitdepot ? I think Saiyan wrote about this Antec case in TE.

EDIT: Found Saiyans review...

http://www.techenclave.com/forums/antec-mx-1-hdd-enclosure-review-91375.html

Ah yes, thanks a bunch Eazy... only problem with that case is it's huge lol. I'll look for the vantec I guess.

mach9 said:
the vantec's good.. i second it too.

I have never had any problems with any of my 3 Vantec cases. They are very good, but I do not see the eSATA case listed anymore in APEX's pages :huh:

P.S. Just spoke to Nilesh of APEX (the importer of Vantec products) he said he does not have stock of the Vantec eSATA cases and he expects next lot in about 2 weeks.

Vantec's are supposedly better..

But I think CM has a eSata casing not sure tho...

Vantec NexStar 3 NST-260SU-BK is a eSATA Enclosure if u can find it tho ...

the only problem... well more of annoyance really is that i found the Vantec's tend to get more warm/hot than the other enclosures... i dont know if any of you folks noticed it?

Any completely sealed enclosure is not good for a HDD. The WD external drives beat any casing in the cooling dept IMO. The book design may be a bit bulky but the unit remains well ventilated with many slots throughout the periphery of the body and can be used for hours.

mach9 said:
the only problem... well more of annoyance really is that i found the Vantec's tend to get more warm/hot than the other enclosures... i dont know if any of you folks noticed it?

Strangely what I have read in the storage forums is that when an external HDD case gets warm/hot it is a good sign, it shows that the case is doing a good job of removing the heat off the HDD, people have said that when a external case is cool then it is an indication that the HDD will be running HOT. Seems that the external case is supposed to do the job of a heat sink, but I am not going to put any AS5 on my HDD and Vantec case. :eek:hyeah:

When I run my 160gb SATA 11 Hitachi HDD in the computer case it runs at an idle temp of around 34C and in the Vantec eSATA case the same HDD idles at around 36C. Only if a HDD is connected as an eSATA can you get the temp from it, USB2 does not pick up HDD temps.

Eazy said:
Strangely what I have read in the storage forums is that when an external HDD case gets warm/hot it is a good sign, it shows that the case is doing a good job of removing the heat off the HDD, people have said that when a external case is cool then it is an indication that the HDD will be running HOT. Seems that the external case is supposed to do the job of a heat sink, but I am not going to put any AS5 on my HDD and Vantec case. :eek:hyeah:

When I run my 160gb SATA 11 Hitachi HDD in the computer case it runs at an idle temp of around 34C and in the Vantec eSATA case the same HDD idles at around 36C. Only if a HDD is connected as an eSATA can you get the temp from it, USB2 does not pick up HDD temps.

yeah i know thats what they say... but all im saying is he should keep it in mind as i found it used to get a tad too warm for comfort!

Eazy said:
Only if a HDD is connected as an eSATA can you get the temp from it, USB2 does not pick up HDD temps.

Everest 4.20 shows the temps for usb hdds based on the cypress usb-ide bridge. WD passport and mybook hdds casings have that chipset, you can monitor temps as well as smart info. Supposedly a lot of 5.25" casings implement cypress although i am yet to find one :(

^^ again mate.. if you can afford it.. Vantec's good. There are several other local brands available and are cheaper... depends on what's your pref. If you are in Mumbai... go check out Lamington Road.

Back