Explorer Keeps Crashing on Startup-Vista

RanjithMN

Disciple
Hello Guys,
I was copying some files from my external HDD and suddenly my explorer crashes,when i restart the explorer it crashes again...it jst keeps on crashing.
Restarted my system and this happens from start up!
My profile has Administrator privileges.i tried in Safe Mode,explorer does not crash but i cannot open My Computer or Folders...says i dont have appropriate permissions!!
i have another Account that is not Administrator and the explorer doesn't crash in that!though i cannot open My Computer or Folders.

I tried the sfc/scannow,even disabled all third party shells on shexview but no use...
OS-Vista 64bit

any help guys?
Thank you

This worked once for me...had it saved in a notepad file. Else let us know.

1. Click Start.

2. In the Search Bar, type regedit and press Enter.

3. Locate the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions

4. In the right pane delete this subkey: MachineThrottling

5. Turn your computer off and back on for the change to take effect.

@hash

i really doubt if its virus because the HDD i was using...i have been using it for long and there are no known viruses..i even have KAV updated...anyway ill try disabling start up items

@asingh

i will try tht too

@viva

My system restore turned out to be disabled! :(

UPDTAE

@Asignh

i dont have a "MachineThrottling" only "Default" :(

thnx for the suggestion guys!

Ok..Just try my steps this was happened to me recently but i resolved it effectively.. may be different scenario for you.. but its worth a try..I am telling you this steps hoping you can do some troubleshooting Technics

1. Open Command prompt in Admin Privileges

2. change prompt to the drive where the explorer crashes. like (d or e or etc)

3. type attrib ( you will see any read only or hidden files folders

4. attribute the file with -s -h -r which you think may be suspicious (like .exe, .ini, .vbs, & even dont forget to delete desktop.ini or folder.htt (may inflected with virus) caues it can recreate itself u dont need to worry about loss

5. after deletion, Do the surface scan for to be sure of disk error (read/write errors) with chkdsk (volume) /X /R /F . where it will do 5 stages of scan.

Update AV just incase and son get back to me

eBro

Hello guys

so i Disabled my start up Programs and it dint help....tried fixing the starup with the OS CD and it dint work....but now its fine!...explorer isnt crashing but i still cant open any Drives or folders!i get the msg "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item"

Thank you

RanjithMN said:
Hello guys
so i Disabled my start up Programs and it dint help....tried fixing the starup with the OS CD and it dint work....but now its fine!...explorer isnt crashing but i still cant open any Drives or folders!i get the msg "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item"

Thank you
I was talking about repairing full OS with Vista DVD & not start up.
Are you 100% sure your system doesn't have viruses because it is very unlikely that system files got corrupted automatically ?

PHEW!

ok guys finally im free i guess! :p

well the Explorer crashing issue slowly has disappeared,i dont know if its something i did or...

and the "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item" was due to some shell i disabled trying to resolve the explorer crashing issue!

i hope this runs fine till i get my W7!!!!

Tnx to all!

Back