Experts warn of iPod hearing loss

f1829269.jpg

But audiologists believe tens of thousands of young people are causing serious damage to themselves, and are likely to suffer tinnitus and loss of hearing in later life. The experts say MP3 players should be designed to prevent people playing music above 90 decibels, about two-thirds of the maximum volume of a typical device.

Perhaps more worryingly for people who have 3,000 songs stored on an iPod, they also say listening should be restricted to no more than an hour a day.

The original Walkman played cassettes with a maximum duration of two hours, while portable CD players give up to 80 minutes a disc. A typical MP3 player, however, can store up to 300 hours of music and has batteries that last for 12 hours before needing to be recharged.

Volume controls on many of the machines can be cranked up to in excess of 100 decibels, equivalent to standing five metres from a pneumatic drill.

"It would obviously be beneficial to reduce the volume and restrict the usage of personal players," said Christine DePlacido, principal audiological scientist at the Victoria Hospital, Kirkcaldy. "The difficulty is in persuading people to do this before their hearing is damaged, as many believe hearing loss will not happen to them until they are much older.

DePlacido added: "A lot of the young people I see with tinnitus describe listening to music at high intensities. It would be hard to say how great this problem is, bearing in mind I only see people who are distressed by their tinnitus. I imagine there are a lot more people out there who are just living with it."

Tinnitus and noise-induced hearing loss occurs when the delicate hair nerve cells that line the inner ear undergo repeated trauma from loud sound vibrations.

The Royal National Institute for the Deaf (RNID) is so concerned about the damage being caused by MP3 players, it has issued advice on how to use them safely. Lisa McDonald, RNID campaigns officer, said: "Most people are listening to their iPods on public transport to drown out the noise of traffic, but to do this they turn them up to quite dangerous levels.

"For example the noise on the London tube is about 90 decibels which is already loud enough to cause damage with a long period of exposure.

"Because music is enjoyable people are much more willing to tolerate those levels of noise for much longer."

Research by London-based audio expert Tony Hale has revealed that general noise levels have soared threefold compared with 30 years ago.

He found the average street was 330% noisier than the countryside, with noise in busy city centres reaching 90 decibels.

Experts say people are having to turn up their MP3 players higher than was needed in the days of the Walkman in order to block out this clamour.

Dr John Irwin, an audiology surgeon at Ninewells Hospital, Dundee, said: "The potential for damage exists because of the maximum output available from these devices. The process is a slow one rather than sudden, except in very unusual circumstances."

A survey by RNID in 2002 found just 46% of young people in Scotland knew loud music could irreversibly damage their ears. It estimates about 340,000 teenagers may be at risk of hearing damage due to listening to amplified music.

Research shows 39% of 18 to 24-year-olds listen to personal stereos for more than an hour each day, with 13% listening for two hours or more.

Many MP3 players in Europe have now had volume levels capped at 100dB after authorities in France ordered a clampdown on the devices.

No one from Apple, who make iPods, was available for comment.

Source

i thought all new ipods had the decibel control thingy.. i listen to mine at almost max volume and its barely loud .... there are even a few sound boosting softwares around for ipods

man i`m already feeling the effects of playing loud music while travelling :p...

so now i dont carry my ear phones along so my hearing has actualy become better :D

Back