Excessive running may reduce your lifespan

renegade

Staff member
Super Mod
According to a latest study if you are running too much then you are likely to have a shorter lifespan. Running too much is similar to not running at all as far as lifespan is concerned. The ideal running time is roughly 3 hours a week on an average.

There is no definite answer as to why it is likely to happen but they attribute it mostly to excessive wear and tear.

So how are we all placed. How many hours of running do we manage in a week on an average.

PS: I was just going to start a thread about Marathon preps.

Source

Which study is that? Has it really been performed on a substantial no of people, say above 1000 over a period of time say 20-30 years to reach at this conclusion. Has the author really good evidence to back it up or is he trying to gain attention by publishing a sensationalist title ?

I am really skeptical of health studies. I do not believe anything on internet. The below is one of my favorite articles i have ever read.

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/20...are-worthless-to-those-who-care-about-health/

So how are we all placed. How many hours of running do we manage in a week on an average.

PS: I was just going to start a thread about Marathon preps.
Source

Brisk walking. 5 km per day has been the norm.
Running was scheduled to be resumed a few weeks from now, but now i gotta chill a bit more it seems :p

On serious note, 3 hrs per week? ~25 mins a day is good enough?
This ought to be music to many ears, but way too less for the fitness freaks.

One of my fav quotes from that article is :

Do you need a study to tell you that being fat is unhealthy? Can’t you just listen to your labored breathing after you climb the stairs?

:D

I take all these articles with a tablespoon of salt. A lot of these articles are written by people wanting 15mins of fame. All these so called studies are done mostly in USA or Britain where amount of obese people is like 2/3rd of population. In such places its normal for companies who are in health and fitness business to pay for research etc. So you get to hear of such articles coming in news from time to time. Just my opinion though.:)

^ Problem with many such research is, that they slip in a nice little word 'Maybe' in their reports. That gives them a way out if the purported theory goes south anytime in the future or is debunked instantly.

After few months another counter report will come out, decrying the earlier theories/findings. Ofc, this new one will be from another house altogether.
So i make it a point to first look for that maybe word. As soon as i encounter that, i move onto some other article.

Back