English TV series discussion

@pratikb and @agantuk As much as I'm loving reading your discussions of this great episode, I'm inclined to say please use spoilers as it'll ruin the experience for other members who have not seen it yet

Last edited by a moderator:
So you think sex and violence isn't one of human desires?

And wars are fought by playing chess?

Give justifications to why you think it is unnecessary, apart from just moral policing.

I didn't say they should have played video games to decide the fate of the wars. I didn't say that the ancient people were very polite and warm to each other. I said they opted for many sex/gore scenes which were completely unnecessary / irrelevant to the story - I'd say about 50% of those, the other 50% were aligned.

Btw, I explained what I meant to say in my previous post. But I don't owe you any justification on what I think, even if my opinion offends any show that you dearly love.

I didn't say they should have played video games to decide the fate of the wars. I didn't say that the ancient people were very polite and warm to each other. I said they opted for many sex/gore scenes which were completely unnecessary / irrelevant to the story - I'd say about 50% of those, the other 50% were aligned.

Btw, I explained what I meant to say in my previous post. But I don't owe you any justification on what I think, even if my opinion offends any show that you dearly love.

Such a confused post, but still thinks of those scenes as unnecessary, and then attacks me for just asking reasoning to why you said that. Your last two sentences were unnecessary, I was just asking as to why you think they so. No show I love so dearly will provoke me to attack some other person without reason, it is just a show after all.

My 2 cents on the whole sex and gore portrayal in GoT. While I totally love the show for its ballsy approach towards sex and violence, there have been a couple of instances where they have gone overboard. One particular scene I recall is the steamy lesbian sex scene of the prostitutes with Littlefinger urging them on and giving them tips in season 1. This was not a part of the book and I really didn't think it served much purpose other than showing us how devious Lord Baelish can really be.

Even then, I do not have a problem with it as I feel that this is what mainly differentiates ASOIAF and GoT from other fantasy fiction classics and they shouldn't really skimp out on that. If people have a problem with it and want to start moral policing on how brains were splattered or how much pubic hair was displayed, they can simply choose not to watch the remainder of the series.

Btw, I'm currently half way through A Feast for Crows and I can easily say that as epic as the TV series is, it is absolutely no match for the grandeur and scale of the books.

For all the ppl using spoiler tags here :

Please mention the name of the show u r discussing before the spoiler tags. So that the readers can know which show its about and if they should read it or not.

Last 5 episodes of Boston Legal remain. An excellent series coming to an end (for me). Highly recommended and yes as someone pointed out before, the season 5 (last one) seems to be made just on public demand or something as we have (very) less of Denny Crane. But still it is enjoyable and less episodes here.
Love the fact how they argue over American constitution and even the next president and target them directly. This can never be done in India (targeting politicians by giving their names directly).
Btw i love the Judge Clark Brown in the series.

Next on list is Fringe, 35 GB of all 5 seasons already loaded on my phone :)

George_RR_Martin: I don't know that I agree that anything in the book is "gratuitous." What I try to do, when I write, is to put my readers there, to immerse them in the story rather than just tell them about it. To do that, you need sensory input, and a lot of it — sights and sounds and also feelings and smells and tastes. A few people have said that there is gratuitous violence, but how else to tell what a battle feels like? Others have talked about gratituous sex, but the same answer applies, in my mind. And for that matter, I have also been accused of gratituous description of clothing, gratuitous feasting, and gratuitous heraldry.

On thing i hate about spoilers is in Tapatalk, where they work fine within the thread but when you are seeing the latest threads, the spoiler text show up along with their spoiler tag as well. Just a minor annoyance.

Such a confused post, but still thinks of those scenes as unnecessary, and then attacks me for just asking reasoning to why you said that. Your last two sentences were unnecessary, I was just asking as to why you think they so. No show I love so dearly will provoke me to attack some other person without reason, it is just a show after all.

"Give Justification" doesn't translate to just asking. And I don't know how I can explain my post any simpler so that it doesn't confuse you.

OT:

Was really busy last 2 weeks and going to catch up on POI and GOT this week - I'm really happy to see everyone using spoilers! Good going guys! :D

I was also very busy with work, got up to speed with last 3 episodes of POI, boy is it getting interesting.

GOT has been flat so far, but can feel it building up, lets see how it goes.

Sourcing The Sopranos now. Unfortunately, not all the seasons are available in HD - only S1 and S6 were released in blu-ray.

Started Fringe -- Down to S01E16 ..woud best describe as a cross between X-Files & Heros ..

The Episodic plots are somewhat predictable but the they always manage to pinch your curiosity at every episode's end.

Guys, list out shows that you simply stopped watching or wandered to newer shows, and I mean shows that you have watched atleast 1 season, actually more, but what the hell

Dexter - haven't completed the last season
Office - Stopped a couple seasons back
House- have 6 episodes of final season left
Its always sunny in philly - One season back, I think
Chuck! - season before last, if it was continued!
How I met your mother

Guys, list out shows that you simply stopped watching or wandered to newer shows, and I mean shows that you have watched atleast 1 season, actually more, but what the hell

Dexter - haven't completed the last season
Office - Stopped a couple seasons back
House- have 6 episodes of final season left
Its always sunny in philly - One season back, I think
Chuck! - season before last, if it was continued!

The Big Bang Theory
How I met your mother
Dexter
Awake - 2 Episodes
Game of Thrones - 1 Episode .. (will try to watch when I have more time)

Back