English TV series discussion

I did not know about the concept of breaking the 4th wall. It is something like the characters in the series briefly interact with the audience or pass comments / dialogues which show us that they know they are part of a TV series. Boston Legal has many such moments. It is interesting to see that.

I am sure there might be other TV series also might have such moments.

I did not know about the concept of breaking the 4th wall. It is something like the characters in the series briefly interact with the audience or pass comments / dialogues which show us that they know they are part of a TV series. Boston Legal has many such moments. It is interesting to see that.

I am sure there might be other TV series also might have such moments.

Yep, it happens in a few shows. Doctor Who has done it a few times.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/BreakingTheFourthWall/LiveActionTV

The concept is as old as theater itself going for thousands of years. It's called Aside - talking to the audience. Another drama technique is called the soliloquy, where the character speaks to himself, but is not heard by other characters.

There are very few who use it creatively though. Most of them use it to make the script easier - It's easier to directly say the audience what they want to say rather than write a proper script which would imply the writer's aim through actions and emotions.

However, the Astapori being so stupid dealing with Danerys is something even the book can't explain.

They take her for a little girl who just happens to have come across dragons. Before she did that, she didn't really have any achievements to her name (just begging around from here to there), and they don't even know what the dragons are capable of. They still thought of them as small hatchings which could be tamed, just like their slaves - and also greed to have power over other slaver cities. The dialogue - "There is a reason. A dragon is no slave." - seals the deal, and then Dracarys.

The concept is as old as theater itself going for thousands of years. It's called Aside - talking to the audience. Another drama technique is called the soliloquy, where the character speaks to himself, but is not heard by other characters.

There are very few who use it creatively though. Most of them use it to make the script easier - It's easier to directly say the audience what they want to say rather than write a proper script which would imply the writer's aim through actions and emotions.
House of Cards is another where it is quite nicely done.

House of Cards is another where it is quite nicely done.

I give more than half the credit to Kevin Spacey there. He shifts his acting brilliantly while he speaks directly to the audience and explains his thought process as to why he did that / going to do that. Apart from that, he keeps taking glances at the camera now and then in between conversations and he does it amazingly well. His character is one of the most despicable ones, but those scenes make us understand his reasoning behind his actions better.

I really feel GOT is over hyped there is hardly around 5-10 mins of action that too after 3-4 episodes this entire season yet has been dissappointing, but colleague of mine who has read all the books says Khaleesi would play pivotal role in this season and I feel she is the only one for whom you should watch the show for , if we compare drama The Walking Dead is better than GOT.

@dinjo

While I can't compare GoT to TWD one to one as they are very different shows. TWD is a good show, but the second season was a drag, and they ruined the third season towards the end. I've read the complete TWD comics and GoT books, and would still rate GoT above TWD any day, either in TV series or in their original format.

Even if you compare TWD to GoT based on the drama alone, GoT would still come ahead. Just compare the first two seasons of those shows, the drama in King's Landing, the drama at the Wall, beyond the Wall, at Winterfell, along the King's Road, at Dragonstone, at Iron Islands, at Harrenhall, at Riverrun, and much more? There's just so much going on in GoT that sometimes you're lost between the entwining arcs and characters, but the drama is way way more than TWD has established so far. There is more drama in the first season of GoT than in all of the TWD so far.

GoT has a hell of a lot of characters, and each one of them has their own arc going on. So, in each episode they have to split the load between all these characters and you will feel that nothing much is going forward, but towards the end most of them combine to a gritting climax, and then leave you yearning for more. Having read the books, I can attest that if done properly, the third and fourth season of GoT will be one the best fantasy shows you'll ever experience on screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost towards the end of Person of Interest (first season) and I have to say, the connections it's leading to is really getting interesting. I love it when they usually show minor flash-back moments explaining the character's past. Reese's flash-backs, in particular, were splendid. Caviezel is a brilliant actor.

Almost towards the end of Person of Interest (first season) and I have to say, the connections it's leading to is really getting interesting. I love it when they usually show minor flash-back moments explaining the character's past. Reese's flash-backs, in particular, were splendid. Caviezel is a brilliant actor.

J.J. Abrams loves doing this. Remember Lost? Though he's a producer here, but it looks quite similar to that.

OT:

Impressive line-up with him as the producer :O
Producer (39 titles)
2016​
Star Trek 3 (producer) (announced)

2015​
Mission: Impossible 5 (producer) (announced)

????​
Half-Life (producer) (announced)

????​
Portal (producer) (announced)

????​
Untitled Cloverfield Sequel (producer) (announced)

2015​
Star Wars: Episode VII (producer) (pre-production)

Catch up fast buddy. Season 2 finale is very close.
10 May if you are wondering.

And sometimes borders on hammy. Brilliant show nonetheless. If you thought the season was good just wait till the finale and season 2 premiere.

The Big Bang Theory S06E21 - The Closure Alternative - One of the much better episodes and we can all relate to what Sheldon is going through. I still haven't gotten over Firefly. :mad:

Elementary S01E20 - Dead Man's Switch - Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu are both great as Sherlock and Watson and it is them that keeps me pulling back to the series even though the plots are quite convoluted.

Person of Interest S02E20 - In Extremis - Another great episode.
Nice to have Fusco flashback this time. I thought he was gonna crack this time. Poor guy.

Machine has stopped working. :eek::dead:
Next two episodes are gonna be facking amazing. :woot:

Back