Graphic Cards Enabling hardware acceleration for 1080p rips

Hi folks,
How do I enable hardware acceleration to play .mkv 1080p and 720p rips ?
(filesize: 1080p - 4.3GB for 45mins, 720p - 2.3GB for 90mins)

Hardware: ATi HD3850 and an C2D E8200
Software: KM Player, Media Player Classic, VLC

I'm stumped cuz even my dear friend google is not showing up any conclusive results. All I get out if it is that enabling hardware acceleration is a pain in the butt in general.

So...

Am I using the wrong software? Is there an option in the Catalyst Center itself?! (Can't find it!) Am I blind?

(Please answer any 2 of the above questions. :D )

Payne

if you have installed full ati catalyst suit which comes with avivo, then you dont need anything else. The hardware acceleration will be on by default.

is it the hardware acceleration of the choice of software to play ur movies.

i can only tell me experiences.

i had a amd 3000+ on onboard via graphix asus board.

as far dvd rips was concerned(those dloaded using torrents) everything was okay.

then i saw a 720p version of "lost" episode . it was 1 gb for 40 min with 6.1 channel sound!

when i played it playred it on wmp11 , i started to see voice out of sync.

then i used old faithful media player classic(included in k lite codec pack) but same!

audio video out of sync. a little more tinkering allowed me discover reason behind it.

my onboard puny x9.0c "via" grafix card didn,t have hardware acceleration of that kinda resolutions.

but i got in media player's search.

found vlc and mplayer.(used them earlier too)

vlc ;not much improvement.

mplayer i installed and made sure to give amd cpu type during install(for enabling cpu optimizations)

then opened the movie with mplayer. and bang , it was running smoothly.checked out the task manager and

WOW!!! cpu usage is now 12-15%.

if u had similar experiences plz shed some light.

1.can a gnu coded media player with optimizations make such a difference? in my case it did..

2.or do we need hardware acceleration to watch hd movies?

i am sticking with mplayer now.it allowed me to save money i would have wasted in a grafix card!!(i am only a casual gamer)

@Funky: I don't think so man. I installed the entire Catalyst suite but nothing's showing up - as an option for enabling.

@main_trouble: The point here is not about media-player or software, but about getting the codec to enable hardware decoding! :( With a HD3800 series card in my system I bloody want it to be utilised!

This is what I just did>

A screenshot playing a 1080p .mkv file using KMPlayer

CPU Usage - 35-70%, GPU Usage - unmoved at 3% :(

The playback is not 100% smooth like a normal avi file and seeking in the video is a pain - after 3-4 seeks, the player gives up. And Media Player classic and VLC are even more pathetic. :(

Payne

I think only Cyberlink PowerDVD is supported software which can take advantage of hardware acceleartion of ATI/Nvidia....

But NOT 100% sure ....(may be I am wrong)

oops sorry for double post

yup..seems like enabling hw acceleration is a painful exercise

I am planning to setup a new HTPC as my amd 3200/nvidia 6800 is sputtering on 1080p (AV sync issues)

but from the reading up I have been doing, it seems hw acceleration via GPU is still very raw

I don't want to give up on KMP or upgrade to vista just for this

the main trouble is not getting gpu decoding but its the codecs itself that u must be missing for the mkv format...

i hav mkx 720p movies that create all sorts of problems...i suggest installing gom player/zoom player and updating once on the net...it installs all the codecs you will ever need

i use only wmp 11,vlc and gom player to update codecs...everything works in my comp

^^NOW REP ME :D

thats a silly piece of advice

720p is not a problaem for most of us anyway

It's 1080p that gives AV sync issues on my old AMD64

and taxes my C2D lappy cpu at over 80-90%

For me, the only player that seems to work properly with hardware acceleration enabled is good old WMP. KMPlayer does not support hardware acceleration of h.264/x264.

Quote from bit-tech.net:
"The UVD offers complete bitstream offloading support, regardless of whether it’s from hard disk or physical media; however the software needs to provide specific support – like Cyberlink PowerDVD. This is an extra cost to the consumer, where a lot of people will prefer to use players like Media Player Classic, VLC or CoreAVC. "

link bit-tech.net | AMD's 780G integrated graphics chipset

guys i tried this on ubuntu too just to make sure.

emptied a partition. installed ubuntu on it.

good news-> as expected ubuntu installed smoothly on my all intel rig(e6550 + dg33fb)

it detected my hitachi sata2 hd which was set in ahci mode.this made the whole exercise painless!!!

on to the point, i again tried to run same "lost" 720p file in totem. it asked for codecs and soon updated itself withj all universe/multiverse codecs(ubuntu is painless!!).again totem couldn't smoothly play the file , a/v as out of sync.

cpu utilization was 50-60% and only one core was used.

so yet again i went to "old faithful" mplayer. installed it with synaptic(needed only one click and apply; wow)

now cpu utilization dropped to 30% but man video was all smooth again and no a/v sync problem.

i am soon going to get those 1080p files and try them.(those HUGE files will take time dload)

meanwhile i urge pappu and superczar to try out mplayer to play 1080p files if they have any.

just make sure that u specify the cpu type during install to enable optimizations.

awaiting replies frm u guys

mplayer gave me low CPU utils but very choppy playback (just to be sure we are talking bout the same thing, can you paste a linkie to mplayer ?)

The player I am using is KMP with core AVC codec

720p plays fine without hitches on my AMD 3200+ /nF6800 though there is no HW acceleration

1080p struggles on the same config with AV sync issues ..plays smooth normally but AV sync goes out of toss when seeking

On a C2D (T5500 IIRC) and Go 7400 GPU, again, I couldnt enable any kind of GPU acceleration

Both 720p and 1080p play fine with 40-60% and 70-90% CPU util respectively and no AV sync issues when playing or seeking

However, the lack of ability to hw accelerate x.264 is a bummer

I cannot use the latter config as my HTPC (it's my lappy) and since I am planning to upgrade the regular HTPC rig, I am in a fix if I should get a GPU at all

@SC: Try KMPlayer with ffdshow without any HW acceleration for 1080p files. Works fine for me with only seeking being an issue. :) Heck in fact even WMP plays .mkv 1080p files fine when I have all codecs installed.

Am just bugged that there is my hardware is being unutilized. :(

Will update with progress on the MPC-HC thing.

Payne

superczar said:
mplayer gave me low CPU utils but very choppy playback (just to be sure we are talking bout the same thing, can you paste a linkie to mplayer ?)

The player I am using is KMP with core AVC codec

720p plays fine without hitches on my AMD 3200+ /nF6800 though there is no HW acceleration

1080p struggles on the same config with AV sync issues ..plays smooth normally but AV sync goes out of toss when seeking

On a C2D (T5500 IIRC) and Go 7400 GPU, again, I couldnt enable any kind of GPU acceleration

Both 720p and 1080p play fine with 40-60% and 70-90% CPU util respectively and no AV sync issues when playing or seeking
However, the lack of ability to hw accelerate x.264 is a bummer

I cannot use the latter config as my HTPC (it's my lappy) and since I am planning to upgrade the regular HTPC rig, I am in a fix if I should get a GPU at all
well this is the official site for mplayer
MuldeR's Homepage

dload links are given on the site just a few lines below. gofor full package.

are u using the same thing(it also installs smplyer which is a beautiful frontend for mplayer).

well during the install it ill ask u about ur cpu architecture , make sure u specify correct one and not leave it on generic .that way it will will use all the optimizations. also in the end it will take some time to compress and optimize the executables.

guys try using 1080p on mplayer and gimmi the feedback . i wud have tried it myself but 1080p files are huge and will take some time to dload.
waiting for replies

hey d_payne, do us a favour and let us know if this works

How to get your (supporting) video card to decode h264

WORKS!!!!!!!

on an underclocked to 1.0ghz merom and 7400 card, it gives 60% CPU on 1080p , it gets 20% on 720p

I guess i dont need to go hunting for a Ati card now, a 8500/8600GT for the HTPC should do the trick

superczar said:
thats a silly piece of advice

720p is not a problaem for most of us anyway

It's 1080p that gives AV sync issues on my old AMD64

and taxes my C2D lappy cpu at over 80-90%

what i am saying is that the mentioned softwares are good to get your codecs right...i had 720p mkv files and this was the way that they ran right...or they didnt run at all (3-4 seconds for every frame previously)

after installing the softwares and updating for the codecs, you may choose whichever media player you want to run the files (i personally prefer vlc)

i am not silly :p

ill download some 1080p files nad see if it works fine :p

Back