PC Peripherals Embarking on a new project: Setting up a VFM home theatre

superczar

Skilled
Folks, long since i started on a new tech project.

Am contemplating setting up a projector based home theatre based around my PC.

What I have:

AMD 2400 based PC

Geforce 6800 with DVI out

Benq 1640 DVD drive

5.1 homebrew amp with a LM3875 powered 10" subwoofer hooked to the PC onboard 5.1 snd card

Living room with controlled lighting and a recently acquired couch ;)

I'll be positioning the couch approx 10 feet from the screen and I doubt if I'll be able to mount the projector on the roof

What I need:

A projector (AM a total noob when it comes to projectors)

A screen

A TV Tuner (Don't plan to wtahc the TV much using the projector, but will surely be of use during matches)

Am planning to use my nokia 3230 as the remote over BT but if there are any decent remote modules (USB/Serial port based) available, plz suggest

Needless to say I will need to keep the budget under tight control ...Also, it may be difficult for you to suggest everything in one post so plz post any info that you feel will come handy.....

Also, does anyone has any experience with windows media center..should I give it a try or should I continue using my existing XP pro?

Detailed rig specs here

i am noob to the projector either but still i would advise one thing DLP projectors are the buzz words now a days and they offer good contrast ratio.

will research more and then come back here again.

screen : i do not have faintest idea.

tv tuner.
as per current scenario you have two options
pinnacle pctv plus with / without fm
compro tv mate pvr with / without fm
should cost you less than 2k

^^ too bulky...not to forget more xpensive....

actually That's akin to askin a Techie to buy a Dell PC instead of assembling one by self! ;)

does symbian have any mediaplayer controlling porgrams? I was waiting for FMA 2.0 to be released for symbian to support BT mediaplayer control.

About a year ago a friend bought a projector. What I remember from a conversation with him is that the price of the bulb/light of the projector is quite high and it has a shortish lifetime. That makes the running cost of a projector quite high.

I suggest you check this aspect while making your decision.

^^ Yup absolutely right ! A DLP bulb costs 15k and has a life of 3k hours...

It isn't exactly economical for a home environment...

Grease Monk
does symbian have any mediaplayer controlling porgrams? I was waiting for FMA 2.0 to be released for symbian to support BT mediaplayer control.
For controlling winamp & WMP u can use controFreak or Bemused on s60 devices.

does symbian have any mediaplayer controlling porgrams? I was waiting for FMA 2.0 to be released for symbian to support BT mediaplayer control

i ue winamp and I use

...works beautifully....i like it way more than the SE thingie FMA

Regardig the denguru article.....The idea f dismantling a new 15" LCD doesn't rall appeal to me and unfortunatey, no use cheap LCD screens ara available in india.... :(

But a brilliant idea nevertheless...

ALso the image quality from those old OHP 's isnt rally upto the mark...

anyway DLPs seem to be out of scope & budget for me....Guess i"ll need to look arnd for a nice LCD projector

but cant help but ask, what budget do you have in mind? and howmuch u think u can shell out for a projector, coz i dont think u can get a decent lcd digital projector of less than 60 k

installed ControlFreak. Pretty neat stuff. Although is there a faster way to get to full screen (video) than switching to desktop control and doing it the normal way?

BTW superczar: didnt quite get which one you use, cf or bemused?

Well, i would rather buy a Plasma/Projection TV than a Projector.

Projectors are too much to maintain, with like 2000 Hrs bulb life.

My Dad has bought a HP VP6121 (For 600 Dollars on sale! Yes, 600 Dollars :p)

image0043ee.jpg

BTW superczar: didnt quite get which one you use, cf or bemused?
I am using controlfreak...haven't tried bemused as yet....Shall try it out though I am quite happy with CF
but cant help but ask, what budget do you have in mind? and howmuch u think u can shell out for a projector, coz i dont think u can get a decent lcd digital projector of less than 60 k
It's a flexi budget, but trying to keep it withink 50K
BTW I got a quote for panasonic PT-LM2E for 45K.. ANy idea about this particular projector ?

My Dad has bought a HP VP6121 (For 600 Dollars on sale! Yes, 600 Dollars )

Can you ask him if he had any issue with the customs...I will be going to the US in Jan, buut I have always been very wary of getting big & imposing looking stuff...

WIth small items, even though they may be xpensive, if you throw away the carton & packaging, the custom folks (at least in chennai) ususally don't bother

Back