Linux elementaryOS 0.4 Loki Beta1 released!

Weekend plan to shift to new KDE.
Nah cannot.
All experiences via running in LiveUSB mode:
1. all KDE distros show an awkward and idiotic thing: entering the Wifi password twice, one each in two different windows
2. Kubuntu cannot show the Comic strips (all I get is X)
3. KDE Neon is practically useless since there is nothing in their repository. I was expecting that since it is built upon (k)ubuntu it would inherit/import all that is available there
4. Elementary OS has some quirky way of maximizing/minimizing windows that I am not liking
5. Gnome and Unity do not come with Comic strip

HECK!

Booted into the OS using the USB. Interface seemed good and snappy. Will do a full install soon, and check. For some reason the Synaptics Touch pad is not responding. Can anyone confirm if Variety works on this OS.

@ssslayer have you tried the latest ISO of Neon's "user edition" ? which place/version do you get wifi password issue? (might be an old version of some LiveUSB you tried?)

Note that while KDE Neon repositories is still adding applications steadily (like recently added KDevelop5) they are focussing on KDE 5 based code and you should still be able to install "sudo apt install xxxx" other KDE apps (even older KDE4 based ones).

For example, I installed qBittorrent and GNOME's "simple-scan" (for printer scanning) and they work/look great.

FYI, Kubuntu always lags with older versions of KDE, that's why I switched to Neon... currently user edition is 5.7.x latest and will soon move the the upcoming LTS KDE 5.8 which is already looking/working great (I'm running the beta version now) :)

I did the full Install. I can say this is a really good distro. It is snappy and not bloated at all. Once can choose what all they want to install. It uses the swap space really well, and maxes out the RAM in an optimal fashion. Again, good distro, after the so many I tried out..!

@vishalrao : I am not able to install the Netspeed Unity, which you had listed couple of posts back. The PPA does not install, and if I try a straight app-get from the CLI, say not found in the repository. Any work around for this..? I really would like to install it.

Maybe they added some checks now. I tried a minute back and it's not working.

I think data saver in chrome is doing something. I tried in Firefox and got the magnet link to download.

@asingh try the following steps - because by default elementary does not have the command to add extra apt repositories - by choice - to prevent less experienced users from installing untrusted apps or mucking up their system :) you need to install "software-properties-common" before you can follow the steps mentioned in the link:

Code:
sudo apt install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:fixnix/netspeed
sudo apt update
sudo apt install indicator-netspeed-unity

if you still face issues, mention what commands you tried and the exact error message(s) you see...[DOUBLEPOST=1474452435][/DOUBLEPOST]@6pack do post your impressions of this distro when you get the chance :)

@asingh try the following steps - because by default elementary does not have the command to add extra apt repositories - by choice - to prevent less experienced users from installing untrusted apps or mucking up their system :) you need to install "software-properties-common" before you can follow the steps mentioned in the link:

Code:
sudo apt install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:fixnix/netspeed
sudo apt update
sudo apt install indicator-netspeed-unity

if you still face issues, mention what commands you tried and the exact error message(s) you see...[DOUBLEPOST=1474452435][/DOUBLEPOST]@6pack do post your impressions of this distro when you get the chance :)

Thanks a lot...! That did the trick.

I also installed the following tweaks.

https://itsfoss.com/add-minimize-button-in-elementary-os-luna/

Gives a nice minimize button, and the single click can be disabled. Really enjoying this distro. Also got Conky to work.

Installed this. Shows a lot of information on the top.
http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-sysmonitor-indicator-0-4-6-on-ubuntu-14-04-trusty-tahr/

This is how my desktop looks.
Screenshot%20from%202016-09-26%20211512_zps3ylzsu1n.png

Using Variety as an auto wallpaper changer...!

Back