CPU/Mobo Dying PSU or bad bad Windoze?

superczar

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
Of late, My PC has started acting funny...Unexpected crashes, hanging problems for no rhyme & reason at all...

I can't really pinpoint if it's a buggy Windows XP install or a dying PSU (I have been using a generic 350 W Frontech PSU for the last 1 year)

The full detailed specs so as that you folks can get an idea of the power drain on the PSU:

AMD 2400, GB Via chipset 7vm-333rz, 512X2 333mhz hynix, Geforce 6800nu, 2X Seagate 7200.7, 1 Benq 1640, 1 firewire card, 3 always on USB devices (Wireless card, USB DSL modem, CL desktop receiver) + I keep attaching 1 USB device for charging every now & then (ipod/iriver)

I do not OC the CPU RAM or GPU....

I tried using speedfan to check the voltage readings but the values were too funny for me to even bother looking into them... ( 2.5 V on the 5V rail, 8.6 V on the 12V rail...you get the picture :bleh: )

My 8 year old DMM is way too off scale to measure anything accurately, it gives me a constantly fluctuating 2.40-3.10 readings for 1.5V AA cells :bleh: )

What do I do? I don't want to reinstall windows unnecessarily as theer is a high probability of the PSU being on its deathbed...:huh:

Should I pick up a new DMM and check (BTW how much would a sasta tikau DMM would be these days, my old one had cost me quite a bombshell back then)

or is there any decent s/w utility to use for gigabyte mobos?

SunnyBoi

Branch Manager
Staff member
Patron
Jan 31, 2005
Bangalore
pick up a new DMM...i use the 180 rupees sasta DMM myself..it'll really tell the tale whether the PSU is at fault

superczar

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
oh..cool...prices have dropped that low :O :!..

so I just fire up the PC...put some load on the proccy and check the voltages on the rails...right?

BTW how do i check up the 3.3 V rail?

BTW what's with the away in ur siggy sunny?