Graphic Cards DVI-D to VGA adapter

Dkm

Disciple
The output on the graphics card is DVI-D, so I bought a DVI-D to VGA adapter. There is no signal from the adapter, I've tried it on 2 monitors with VGA in.

Some of the stuff I read on the Net suggests that DVI-D cannot be converted to VGA at all. Is anyone using this particulatr adapter and does it work?
Thanks.

Edit: The VGA out is already in use.

DVI-D carries strictly digital signals so it cannot be converted to VGA which is analog.

If your graphics card has a DVI-I (Both digital and analog), only then can you use a DVI-I to VGA adaptor.

^ Yup, that simply cannot exist. If you notice, there's no picture of the DVI side of that adaptor anywhere on the site ;)

Dkm said:
The output on the graphics card is DVI-D, so I bought a DVI-D to VGA adapter. There is no signal from the adapter, I've tried it on 2 monitors with VGA in.

Some of the stuff I read on the Net suggests that DVI-D cannot be converted to VGA at all. Is anyone using this particulatr adapter and does it work?
Thanks.

Edit: The VGA out is already in use.

Which card are you using? Sometimes you need to enable Multiple monitor support to get the picture on the secondary screen. I think it is available in the nVidia control panel. Try it out and see if that works.

Update
The card DVI D out I mentioned was actually a DVI I out, but the adapter I bought looked the same as posted in my earlier link and the link posted by doubler. The adapter was bad, the shopkeeper got a different one and it worked immediately. The working adapter has 4 pins around the big pin which the bad one did not have.
Both monitors must be connected when switching on, else the monitor will not be detected.

Back