DV Capture

Pernicious

Disciple
OKAY GUYS ME NEEDS HELP!!
Okay guys, I have this very old Sony Handycam, got it for 60 grands back in the days, is fantastic even now. I would like to transfer data from it to my PC. The model number is Sony DCR-TRV147E. It uses a Hi8 tape to record stuff. It has a DV out, a TV out for which I have the cable.
I have got the wire, connected it both ends, my camcorder shows DV IN on the lcd, but device manager doesn't show anything :'( Nor can I use any capture software, I have tried Windows Live movie maker, exsate DV capture....What do I do guys? This camera has some memories I want, and its a pretty nice one, so I want to use it in the future too.

Please help Thanks!

If you want to transfer the video from the camera to your pc then you will require a firewire card and a cable with suitable connectors.One end you connect to the dv-out of the camera and other to the dv-in of the firewire card.Then get a software called WinDV (WinDV). Its a small piece of software.Put the tape in and follow the instructions on the site to capture the video.

Minidv is uncompressed video so it takes up a lot of space.1 hour of video goes upto 15-20 GB.Make sure you have lotsa space.

Once you get the video trasferred you may use any video converting/editing software to edit/convert the video to the format of your liking.

:)

I have a Firewire port in my mobo, its M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3. I have connected the wires as you said, but will it be shown in the Device Manager? My Device Mgr, does not show any camera connected, but shows that the 1394 port is working fine. What to do?

Did you try the windv software.See if it detects the camera.

I cant remember what I did exactly when i did the transfer of my friends camcorder to pc meaning was the camera shown in device manager or not.

Is there any setting in the camera's lcd menu which sets it up for dv transfer ?

no there is no such setting. and I have tried windv doesn't work....i searched some forums it says that the camera should show in device manager but mine doesnt do shit, and the lcd on the camera shows DV IN, as in wire is connected.

i'm in the same boat....

my Sony miniDV can connect thru USB and can stream which i recorded using Corel DVD moviefactory but it streams in smaller size and it doesn't pass the date+time stamp which it does when u connect it to the TV using AV-in.

So i thought of 2-3 solutions:

1) using my Gemini USB TV Capture box (AV-in to s-video). Purchased s-video cables etc. today, connected and I got the video with date+time stamp but video quality not upto the mark.

2) using EasyCap Cost is 800 bucks and i'm not sure of the capture quality. i may try this next in few days.

3) if u can shell out around 3K then there is a DVD player cum Recorder by Weston. u just put the AV-in put in a blank DVD and press Record button. (Saw its ad last year in shopping.indiatimes.com)

Back